PDA

View Full Version : PC12 requirements

Lowmick
31st May 2010, 18:31
Hi,
are there any minimum requirements for flying Pilatus PC-12? Something like PIC time, IFR time, turboprops etc.
Pilatus website didnt say anything...

INNflight
31st May 2010, 21:02
Valid license, PPL would work, IR would be helpful I am sure. You'll need to do a TR for it aswell, however the most limiting factor will most likely be the money to buy a PC12...

Hard / near-impossible to get a commercial gig on one. Can't think of any operators apart from Air Engiadina (now Swiss Jet) actually.

flyhighspeed300
31st May 2010, 21:25
The class rating is quick and easy. Around 6 hours is an estimate to get a class rating or single engine turbine rating (SET rating), which is needed to fly the aircraft. I have asked them before. I live by EGHH where they sell the PC-12. The aircraft is amazing. Its got everything that the last Boeing or Airbus has. They say its easy to fly however they still havn't let me have a go in the aircraft yet unless i pay them.

To fly IFR time you need a IR-SPA-SE, if you have flown a BE76 for your IFR training then the twin engine IR rating covers you to fly Single engine aircraft as well.

there is no minimum amount of hours set by the CAA to fly Single engine turbine aircraft.

However to fly commercially and IFR (AOC Licence). you need a minimum of 700hours, 100hours minimum PIC flying IFR/airways. Of which a minimum of 400hours must be PIC time. EU-OPS 1.960

hope this helps

tom_ace
1st Jun 2010, 08:28
flyhigh - you can't fly one commercially in UK as it's a single. only way you could get paid to fly it is on private ops.

flyhighspeed300
1st Jun 2010, 09:45
really? where does it say you cannot fly a PC-12 commerically?

There is restrictions flying a single engine aircarft commerically in europe, but it does not say you cannot do so.

Fab66
1st Jun 2010, 12:03
Hi Lowmick,

To fly that aircraft, you eather need a type rating if you have a JAA licence or a class rating withf a FAA licence.
Not possible to operate one commercialy in Europe.

If you get one, you'll enjoy, this machine is beautiful to fly, has a very good equipment and lot of space.

Cheers

Fab66

Fab66
1st Jun 2010, 12:05
Concerning the minimum requirement, it's more a question to ask to your insurance company. A private pilot licence could be enough, but they may ask you some experience or additional ratings...

Lowmick
1st Jun 2010, 21:13
thank you all for replies.

its ok with licenses and ratings... no prob, everything clear. I was just asking because I heard something like PIC need to have 1000h TT, 500 as PIC on airplanes, x hrs IFR etc. Co-pilot minimum 500h TT, 400h on turboprops,....... and all of this is to be directed by manufacturer (Pilatus).
So it is fake, correct?

julian_storey
1st Jun 2010, 23:48
The final arbiter will almost certainly be the insurance company.

INNflight
2nd Jun 2010, 09:37
A lot of owners fly it themselves, and that would be an insurance issue mainly, but then again you can probably afford that if you buy a PC12.

I'd think most are operated single pilot anyway, so I wouldn't be able to think of someone who makes up a co-pilot min TT requirement, let alone Pilatus.

Lowmick
2nd Jun 2010, 10:03
ok, thank you guys

I am about to upgrade from Meridian to PC12, so tried to find out any limitations/restrictions that could be set by manufacturer...

Miles Magister
2nd Jun 2010, 10:56
Lowmick,

Insurance is talked about here and if it is of any help I have found Hayward Aviation very helpful and understanding with aircraft such as yours in the past. I am not associated with them but offer the advice in case it helps you.

MM

No RYR for me
2nd Jun 2010, 11:17
Have a look here: http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/392636-pilatus-pc-12-crash-netherlands.html

Mjolner
2nd Jun 2010, 17:57
After having flown with various companies in the UK over the years I know there's a lot of grey areas that operators often get quite good at exploring... Now picture this if you will!

Could You buy a PC-12, then sell it in 100(random number) fractions to 100 different people, sort of like an extreme fractional ownership model. Each of the 100 fractions would then entitle each of the fraction owners to 5 hours(random number again) per year and pay you as the Aircraft manager and possible pilot to manage and fly the aircraft?

Technically You wouldn't then be operating the aircraft as a commercial flight because You are not being paid for the flight, but for managing the aircraft for a private individual. The fact that there is 100 private individuals in this "club" doesn't change the fact that the aircraft is privately owned and managed. That individual could also invite his friends to come along on a jolly, without that making the flight any more commercial. If that friend then decided to pass a donation on to his friend to cover fuel expenses (without paperwork) that technically wouldn't affect the non-commercial status of that flight...

I know I am sailing around the grey areas of EU-OPS and ANO, but am I talking complete and utter bullocks or could it theoretically be done??

Any comments are very welcome:ok:

Cheers

Mjolner

drop bear ten
6th Jun 2010, 10:42
Seems to be some systemic issues with gearboxes- would you fly one in the mirk??

AO-2010-006 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2010/aair/ao-2010-006.aspx)