PDA

View Full Version : The Secret 15 and stuff

Saturn
31st May 2010, 16:22
Has anyone heard of the secret 15? Guys recruited in Hong Kong on local terms and conditions freighters (some Oasis boys). Yep, no housing and low pay. They are treated like LEP's. As we have seen the company will do whatever it can to get out of paying anyone housing and we can do nothing about it. I know I have been bashing the AOA but I will no longer. I will now bash all of us for continuing to put up with this ****!

New basing bid out. It says you must have and prove the right to live and work in the basings area. Um, what about all the Gringos in Canada? So is there grandfather rights now? Can Canadians continue to work in the USA and Vice Versa? AGAIN IT SAYS, YOU MUST HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN THE BASINGS AREA, Signed David Lomax basings manager! What if a bid is open for Captain? Can I bid an Oz Capt position? If I cannot, who gets it then? What happens if he/she is junior to me? Prepare for some real fun interpretations folks. This will test Daves metal.

All in all I think the company is testing the waters to see how much more they can get away with!

Now on the subject of the AOA. I am all for the new Gen Sec, but what's with all the titles? Everyone that works for the AOA has some fancy title. Is there really a need? I would also like disclosure, since I pay dues, on what they are paying this new Gen Sec and what he and the AOAs new plans are? I think things are going to get real messy with this base bid and a lot of people are going to get screwed. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT LADIES AND GENTS?

ab33t
31st May 2010, 18:09
Well thats the basic problem today , you stand up and get chopped down there is always someone waiting to take your place.

GTC58
31st May 2010, 18:13
Interesting situation indeed. With Canada being on-shored, I believe all Canadian based CX pilots must have citizenship or the right to live and work in Canada. As the Canadian CX pilots now work for CX Canada the following does not apply. I guess that's why CX direct deposits into US bank accounts of Canadian based pilots who don't have the right to work in Canada.

Canada Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR)

Division 3
Work Without a Permit

No permit required

186. A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit

(s) as a member of a crew who is employed by a foreign company aboard a means of transportation that

(i) is foreign-owned and not registered in Canada, and

(ii) is engaged primarily in international transportation;

As the US is presently not on-shored my understanding is that Canadians can still be based on US bases as they are employed by a Hong Kong company under a similar rule. However if CX will on-shore the US I believe a green card will be required.

goathead
1st Jun 2010, 00:28
Saturn
anything that starts us from steering away from acting like the IWC , and we start to get some results I don't care how much we pay him.....If only we could replace the GC with a panel of pro's , or even allow some pro's to join it's gotta be a step in the right direction.....but hey what can we do anyway , as of late there is a huge PR problem associated with the secret , until it's too late to do anything about it basing deal......exactly what the problem with a committee of such is all about .

The AOA is getting to complex for it's membership and it need's drastic reshaping , hopefully this new position will address that very big obvious problem.

Ex Cathedra
2nd Jun 2010, 10:11
All in all I think the company is testing the waters to see how much more they can get away with!

Testing the waters?? They're farting in the bathtub already!

Bob Hawke
2nd Jun 2010, 15:33
Goathead, the GC is exactly what it is, the representative body of the membership, no expert, trained negotiator, whatever, can take their place, unless they are a qualified member of our Association. You see, the GC IS for the membership.

Like in Government, we don't put Public Servants in the Pollies seats in the House, or Senate to do the job.

I believe you are confusing the issue with having "professionals" negotiating with the company, but they must do so at arms length, under the direction of the GC, and thus the membership. Let them take the punches in negotiations with threat of intimidation, fear of dismissal or other reprisals that they company may want to dish out, if they do.

We only need pilots in the GC; we may (?) need industrial negotiators at the pointy end when dealing with the Management, but remember they are representing the Board in the same fashion. The Board doesn't come to negotiate, the management drones do, in a highly incentive driven manner, of course.

NOT to their Bonus!

SATURN:
So what is so secret about these 15 guys, are these the jail bitches the company uses to demonstrate they can do it anyway the can. So what are you going to do about, bitch about them, or bitch for them?

goathead
3rd Jun 2010, 13:40
Bob
I appreciate your reply, however our committe is run like the IWC , and is in reality on par for being as useless as the IWC , e.g look at the current state of our housing negociations , 6 options on the table now I believe ? WTF ? HOW THE HELL DID YHAT HAPPEN ??
Untill the whole way this thing is run expect more continual f##kups coming from the GC ....a GC that all have different agends ,basings , ranks , etc etc.

Absolutely hopeless.....BRING ON CHANGE !
And I also hear one of our GC guys who is high up has his own housing contract signed indefinitely already !

BLEAT BLEAT

Bob Hawke
3rd Jun 2010, 14:01
I hear you GH, and nothing grates me more than an individual pursuing his own interests using the vehicle of the Association to do so. He needs to be "outed" and shamed, also he needs to blackballed if that's what he's up to.

Drop some hints please and exactly what he secured so we know what kind of rat we are dealing with.

jonathon68
3rd Jun 2010, 15:51
Guys, this is just like handing over your finances to a "Financial Adviser" and then sitting back and expecting everything to be taken care off! :{

You need to vote, plus read and post on the AOA forum with your complaints and your suggestions. :8

You also need to develop communications with a GC member who relates closely to your concerns. If you do not know any of the GC personally, then ask around, or just pick people of similar rank or base etc. Call or email them with your issues and suggestions. Call them, email them, and offer to help them!

You can contact the General Secretary and specify that your email be copied to all the GC. Tell them what you think directly! Complaints on pprune etc are a waste of key strokes. You may feel better that you have transmitted your angst, but no one here will do anything.

The Committee get little reward for the work they do, and naturally burn out quickly. You can help them (and all of us!) by emailing direct your input and ideas.:D

Just imagine if every member would spend one hour per month in an out-port, on their computer, doing research or putting together their ideas in an email. Lobby your GC representative with your concerns. Stand for election and champion the concerns of the core of pilots who vote for you.