PDA

View Full Version : Check & Training Positions - query

Nikai
30th May 2010, 23:00
Hi All,

I've searched previous threads but haven't really found any consensus on the following - so wondering if anyone can help? I've seen a range of titles for aircraft (vs. sim) check and training roles and am trying to understand how they fit together, bearing in mind that different countries use different terminology, am I on the right track?

TRE: Type Rating Examiner - conducts flight checks (FCC/renewals etc) on A/C type. Terminology used in EU, Asia, Africa etc?

TRI: Type Rating Instructor - can conduct line training but not checks
Terminology used in EU, Asia, Africa etc?

Check Airman - can conduct training & flight checks i.e. holds both TRE & TRI privileges. Terminology used in USA

Training Captain - conducts line training once a pilot is type rated. Terminology used in Oceania.

Designated Examiner (??) - same as Flight Examiner? Where is this terminology used?

Flight Examiner - conducts flight checks (FCC & renewals etc) on A/C type. Terminology used in Oceania.

So based on what I've read so far I was leaning towards the following logic:

Check Airman = TRE = Designated Examiner = Flight Examiner
TRI = Training Captain

Any advice http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif, critique http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif or otherwise would be greatly appreciated!!

MD80rookie
31st May 2010, 07:04
TRE = issue a new rating, i.e. skill test in sim.
TRI = renewal of rating and OPC/PC (of course TRE can do the same)
Line training capt = not an official status, a company is free to set their own standards for LTC regarding experience and so on.
Check airmen is from FAA-land I think, official status I'm not sure.

Rookie (now a senior rookie)

Norman Stanley Fletcher
1st Jun 2010, 11:36
Some background may help. Throughout the world, aviation is controlled by government agencies that regulate safety, licensing, procedures, airworthiness, accident investigation etc. In the USA, that body is the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). In the UK, we have our own CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) but they have in recent years subjected much regulation to a larger European-wide body called the JAA (Joint Airworthiness Authorities). In the last year or so the JAA has effectively ceased to exist and its role is now replaced by the EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency). Many nations in the world continue to self regulate but others like the UK have effectively joined together with others to accept licensing and regulation from one overall body. This means that the terminology used by these different overseeing bodies varies and that is particularly so when it comes to pilot licensing and checking.

I cannot speak for the USA or FAA controlled states, but for all practical purposes the terms ‘Training Captain’ (UK/JAA/EASA) and ‘Check Airman’ (FAA) are interchangeable. I cannot comment further on matters on the other side of the Atlantic as I do not know the details, but can help you with what happens in the UK and other EASA states.

The first thing to realise is that the term ‘Training Captain’ is a generic term that covers all airline captains used in a checking, training or testing role within their company. Within the UK (and presumably other EASA states) there are effective 6 levels of Training Captain. These are pilots appointed by the company but who sometimes require approval by the relevant governing authorities to validate the airline’s choice. In addition, they must be of a certain experience and competency level in order to be considered as ‘suitable’. (In my description below I will use the term ‘he’ to cover both sexes – no offence intended as there are a number of very good female Training Captains!)

The 6 ‘levels’ are as follows:

Level 1 - LTC (Line Training Captain): This is the foot soldier of the Training Department. He does not teach in the simulator but is authorised to conduct most on-aircraft training and testing after licence issue. They cannot carry out on-aircraft emergency testing (ie single-engine work). They carry out Line Training which takes place after the new pilot has had their type-rating issued. They are there to teach the SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) of the company and to ensure safe flying throughout as this training is taking place with passengers/freight on board. He can carry out Aircraft Competency Checks, Line Checks etc. He is not allowed to fly in the first few sectors with those who have had ZFT (zero flight time) training – ie the first time the candidate sees the ‘real’ aircraft it has passengers in it!

Level 2 - TRI (Type Rating Instructor): He is trained to operate and instruct in the simulator. He can teach remedial and ab-initio details but cannot do any testing of any kind in the simulator. Almost invariably TRIs are LTCs first and then eventually do the simulator teaching course.

Level 3 -TRI(A): Used to be called a TRI(Z) but name changed for some reason. This is the legal qualification required to teach circuits for real to new pilots who are not eligible for ZFT simulator training. It also allows the TRI(A) to teach ZFT aircraft training – ie the first few sectors of training to pilots who have flown another jet type and who only fly a ‘real’ aircraft when there are passengers on it and never practice circuits beforehand in the ‘real’ aircraft.

Level 4 - TRE (Type Rating Examiner): He is permitted to carry out 6 monthly simulator checks on candidates and has to be authorised by the national authority (CAA in the case of the UK). He must undergo a test with the CAA to be initially authorised but once checked out he can be subsequently re-validated by his company.

Level 5- TRE (Airborne Base Trainer): He is a TRE who is authorised by his company to carry out initial circuit training on the aircraft. The legal qualification he requires is the TRI(A) one I referred to earlier but in practice most companies will use the more experienced pilots to carry out his potentially higher risk function.

Level 6 - RETRE (Revalidation Type Rating Examiner): This chap is the ‘Grand Master third Dan’ of the Training Department! He is authorised by the CAA to revalidate other simulator instructors and examiners and as such is the king of all he surveys!

To further complicate matters, there are regional variations. For example, some companies (BA among others) permit very experienced First Officers to be TRIs/TRE. Added to that BA have the concept of a ‘Route Checking Captain’ who is a guy who is not really a Training Captain but carries out Line Checks on crews to ensure they are operating to the required standard. They are the ‘eyes and ears’ of management to ensure the Training Department product is of the required standard.

I hope that helps. Others may wish to add something to that description, but in essence it is correct.

Miguel Martins
1st Jun 2010, 14:55
Hi all!

Can a LTC assign PICUS time on a copilot's log, or must be at least TRI?

Must a LTC be authorized by the aviation authority of each country in order to perform that function, or is it just an internal issue of each company?

Rgrds!