PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Cadet - What are your 1st year earnings and flying training timescale.

Obs cop
30th May 2010, 20:22
Folks,

Before I go any further I don't want this tread to go the way of many others and become a Ryanair bashing thread.

I'm after pure hard facts for my decision making process.

Quite simply from those guys who have recently joined as Cadet First Officers,

1. What were the timings for the training. Particularly, how long did it take from induction, to starting the TR, to then starting line training and then onto your actual base working the line? I'm just looking to figure out how long on average it takes before you actually see any money come in.

2. How much have you flown during line training and what are your average hours per month once out of line training?

3. Correspondingly, how much have you earnt gross and net per month over say your first 6 to 12 months.

As I say, this is simply a fact finding mission, looking for the most recent data. After all no rational person can make a good decision without seeking out the facts! I appreciate that prior to starting with Brookfield, you can get an indication or estimation from Brookfield of your potential earnings, however I don't want their figures, like most people I would like to know the real numbers.

At this time I am undecided as to where to seek employment, so any replies would be gratefully accepted. If needs be please PM me.

Cheers,
Obs cop

nick14
1st Jun 2010, 11:19
Hi there,

I was assessed in November of 2008, started the induction on the 18th May 2009, then we had a break of 4 weeks between ground school and sims because of base training aircraft shortages. We then finished the sims on August 20th, base checked 3 weeks after I was flying the line on the 20th September.

Since September I have flown 430 hours averaging around 60 hours per month. This includes one month with 20 hours, one with 94 and my month off.

E 18,700 gross
E 16,000 net

I have also recieved the VAT back from the type rating which came to around E4,600.

My first pay came through in November.

Hope this helps

Nick

WallyWumpus
1st Jun 2010, 11:26
I am sure this has been covered before, but given I am now a year into RYR the information is pretty easy for me to recall and regurgitate;

Expect a indeterminable gap between passing the interview and starting the type rating. My wait was 6 months, others wait less. You then have a weeks induction at EMT. You then may, or may not, wait some time before your type rating, which takes 9ish weeks. There then may, or may not, be a wait 'till base training (I waited six weeks as it was summer time and they lacked a/c). After that it takes about a week to 10 days to do your supernumerary jump-seats, thereafter another week to start line training. I had some brilliant LTC's and a good dose of luck, and was line checked after 7 calender weeks (68 sectors, which is the absolute minimum, most people take a little longer, so budget 2 months and a bit). I then flew "the line" for a further two weeks before getting my final base assignment (over which you have no control).

For me - total time from Induction day 1 to final base day 1 was exactly 6 months.

I started at my final base in Dec '09, and flew 40-50 hours in Dec, Jan and Feb. March I had off, and April, May and June have all been high 90's for hours (even with the April ash loss). Lots of out of base too, which is BRILLIANT, with the pay uplift it is effectively a free holiday paid for by RYR.

In terms of income, as you have the hourly rate you can do the Math based on the hours. People seem to say we fly 700-750hrs/yr. That figure seems reasonable as an average.

Obs, I wish you the very best. If you have 10% of the fun I did in the last year you will be a very happy pilot!

Wally.

Obs cop
1st Jun 2010, 14:36
Guys,

Thanks very much for the info.

In the periods between training elements, are there any restrictions on doing temporary work to keep the mortgage paid or does the contract prohibit it?

Thanks again,
Obs

aslan1982
1st Jun 2010, 14:47
i would say temp work ( if they knew about it ) would be prohibited. You are after all contracted to brookfield

Its nice to hear from actual Ryanair pilots who, from what I've read, all seem to be happy with their jobs.

I start my type training in around 4 weeks and am really looking forward to it.

In our assessment we were told 6 months from intro day to 1st day on the line and by the sounds of it, it seems to be true.

The first 6 months are meant to be financially hard but after that it should be much easier ( so ive been told ). Ill let you know by the end of the year.

Good luck with your endeavors

duncanidaho50
1st Jun 2010, 16:41
Hello, can i ask through which program did you apply to the cadet program, and how long did it take for them to call you? I applyed through CAE and SAS but did not get any response yet and its been a long time since. Thanks

aslan1982
1st Jun 2010, 18:36
i applied same places as u did. took 3 months. guess i was just lucky

its a lottery im afraid

jobertgalea
1st Jun 2010, 19:42
Hi,

I was told that you have to continuously send the application so that the most recent application would be on top of the pile for selection although I do not fully agree. I have also applied to both CAE and SAS but with no response.

Can someone tell me how long is the first contract with Ryanair? Is it true that it endures for just a few years after paying the whole type rating? It would be helpful if I can find the real truth :ok: Good luck for all the rest who are still waiting for a response.

aslan1982
2nd Jun 2010, 09:51
its a contract with brookfield and its for 5 years. Don't know what happens after that.

Chances are it just gets renewed

bornfree
2nd Jun 2010, 11:01
At the moment, the Euro/£ rate is going against Ryanair cadets paid in Euros and then coverting to £ Sterling. Just wondering if any current pilots have any ideas for reducing the impact? Maybe opening a Euro bank or savings account is a possibility and leaving funds there until the rate comes back into favour? Any ideas/recommendations greatfully received!

bf

nick14
2nd Jun 2010, 11:14
Compared to a year or so ago the exchange rate is pretty damn good if you ask me.

I tried an offshore account and euro accounts but they were all far too much hassle, just take the exchange rate as it is today and think about a euro account when the rate increases back to its pre-downturn rate.

bornfree
2nd Jun 2010, 11:53
Thanks for the reply Nick.
£1 buys (roughly) 1.20 Euros at the moment and is showing no signs of slowing down. This is the highest it's been in the last 12 months. The lowest it's been in the last 12 months was 1.07 in the middle of September 2009. So, somebody earning 3,500 Euros/month has lost (roughly) £350/month over this time period - not an inconsiderable amount of money!
Other pilots with any ways of softening the blow much appreciated.

Best regards

bf

ba038
2nd Jun 2010, 11:56
Wallywumpus - Where exactly are you based?

WallyWumpus
2nd Jun 2010, 14:18
Exactly located? How exact would you like me to be? I am in the UK. Any more information than that might jeopardise my much-valued anonymity.

Perhaps if you are driving at something else you could ask me a different question and I will try to help?

Wally.

ba038
2nd Jun 2010, 21:16
OK.I was expecting a one word answer.I think you have answered my question.

Thank you.

Aerouk
3rd Jun 2010, 14:05
I would love to know how you lot survive on €16,000 a year especially if you're integrated student with about £1,300 a month repayments.

WallyWumpus
3rd Jun 2010, 16:41
First year RYR earnings are in the region of 50k EUR. This assumes 750hrs flown, and 20% out of base work.

Aerospace101
3rd Jun 2010, 17:45
€16,000 a year

No thats not what Nick said. He said he's been paid €16,000 since Nov. Thats 7months of pay (nov-may) which therefore equates to €27,500 over a year (including as he says 1 month off). simples.

Comparable to a flybe yr 1 salary, but obviously ryanair you have to pay for the TR.

McNulty
7th Jun 2010, 10:21
First 12 months including line training i will have flown 830 hours, ill let you do the maths.

As for the 16000 a year comment, i've made more than 16000 in the past 3 months alone.

IrishJason
7th Jun 2010, 14:35
Thats alot in 3 months. well done. some hours I'd say

frank booth
7th Jun 2010, 18:19
No more orders means no more deliveries, means no more expansion. No one leaving means no upgrades. No upgrades means no more spaces for Fo's that will fly 800hrs a year.
But that can't be right as that nice Mr O'larfy fella has promised lots of fun for a very reasonable price. How is he going to fit everyone in I wonder?
Maybe he can do the math a little better than the average Brookfield money cow.....

nick14
7th Jun 2010, 23:10
you get a month off starting from the 1st going through to the 30th/31st all in one lump. You then get 10 days to take as and when you like so you can request them all off at once like I have for a wedding or you can have them in 2 days here and there up to you and the rostering department.

:ok:

skybusdriver290
14th Jun 2010, 16:32
I am due to be starting type rating in around a weeks time, could someone give me the maximum/minimum and average hours flown for an FO? and say whether the hours remain as high after your rates go up?

Everything I hear from pilots currently working for Ryanair is very positive!

zerotohero
15th Jun 2010, 00:04
Depends on base

I am in Spain and looking at 800 hours this year

p.s on higher rate and old BRK contract

woofly31
15th Jun 2010, 08:26
Hi

Out of interest how long was the time between application, Interview then start date for guys recently taken on ( 2010 ). Have been hearing of periods ranging from 3 months to over a year.

Cheers:ok:

pilotguy32
15th Jun 2010, 08:32
A friend of mine applied this spring, about one and a half week after application he got assessment. Then about two months wait for typerating.