PDA

View Full Version : Stuck between full time and distance ATPL!?!?

AlexanderH
30th May 2010, 17:56
Full time residential or distance based learning for ATPLs?? - I simply cannot make up my mind. Most other pilots have told me that Bristol is the way to go but I'm concerned that I will really need a lot of self motivation to study by myself.

For the full time courses I've been mainly looking at Oxford. Not massively keen on moving to Bournemouth or Luton and I would take the London Met option but their August course takes around 9 months to complete!!

Too many choices I guess. :confused:

Has anyone got any good experiences from Bristol.gs that they would care to share? So far I have only heard great things about them. If you make the effort to study as much as possible during the day, hwo quickly could the Bristol course be completed in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated lads.

FlyingStone
30th May 2010, 18:42
Motivation for self-studying for ATPL exams shouldn't be a problem if you are really into aviation. Sure there are boring subjects (air law etc.), but there are so many things to learn that will help you understand how things work...

Personally, I would go with long distance unless the full course is max. 3 hours per day - it's hard to sit 8 hours straight in classroom even if the topic is very interesting...

downwind24
30th May 2010, 19:05
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/416170-atpl-exams.html

Read the above threads iv recently posted on this subject , im currently with Bristol and as its all computer based (with manuals) you will not go wrong with this course.

I started full time at AFT as i couldnt get motivated but 4 exams in and they ceased the groundschool , i realised that with Bristols course the motivation was in seeing the course progress graph (This is correlated from you entering and start dates and breaks the course into weekly study modules) and it is easily do-able.

Best value for money pound for pound than any course out there in my opinion , i sit module 1 exams next week so proof will be in the pudding :}

alphaadrian
30th May 2010, 21:21
Bristol GS get my vote..top class outfit:ok: If you knuckle down,you can get through pretty quickly but that part is up to you and how much studying you are prepared to put in.

Alph:ok:

AlexanderH
30th May 2010, 22:56
Cheers downwind24, everybody has told me that I should have no problems with the distance learning option. I was just a bit concerned if I got stuck, what would I do? I will order a demo cd from them and see how that goes.

Whirlygig
30th May 2010, 22:58
if I got stuck, what would I do?Ring 'em up or send 'em an email.

Cheers

Whirls

G CEXO
30th May 2010, 22:58
I was in exactly your situation last year around October time. Did not know whether to hit the ATPLs full time or Modular. Then, it was like something hit me with a ton of bricks. We were in a serious economic depression and there was absolutely no reason for me to finish asap as in 6months. For that reason, I looked in to distance learning courses and decided it was Bristol.

I am now through my module 1 after 18 weeks and I can honestly say, the material has been very very well written and can be easily digested. I am not one of the smartest individuals in maths and have been able to cope with it, without needing somebody to teach me in class.

I think your in an excellent position and that you should consider training part time so that when you do complete the 14 exams, you can review the employment state within the airlines and start your CPL when the economy grows. You have 3 years remember, from the date of your last examination pass.

Trust me mate, do it distance learning and you will get through it. :ok:

AlexanderH
30th May 2010, 23:23
Cheers mate. Is it still possible to complete all the subjects and exams in 6-7 months?

downwind24
31st May 2010, 09:33
I sat 4 with AFT , if i complete in my personal time allowance i will have completed the other 10 with Bristol in 5 months (inc exam sittings) so yes it is do-able , that is down to you though to put the hours in. If your stuck you call them or put a post on the forum as Whirls states.

ATP Forum - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.atpforum.co.uk/)

DW :}

AlexanderH
4th Jun 2010, 22:36
I've been looking at Bristol recently and had a chat with them. They seem pretty good. Most people were saying I'd be allright doing the revision with them.