PDA

View Full Version : hookwinking blood pressure readings

wetnose
20th Dec 2000, 00:52
Hello all

I suffer from 'white coat syndrome' with regards to my blood pressure - it's ok normally, but when I see a doctor, it goes up and up ....
Obviously, with a medical in sight, this is a problem.
Does anybody know of a way in which to keep control of your blood pressure during an examination - ie. can you take anything to keep it down when being examinied?

cheers

FireDragon
21st Dec 2000, 01:58
Don't know if there's any truth in this, but
my GP reckons that taking 2 paracetamol, or codein about 2 hours before will temporarily lower blood pressure
...As I said, it may just be a rumour

Dr. Red
23rd Dec 2000, 08:54
Anything that thins the blood or relaxes muscles is good - so Paracetamol or Aspirin are probably your best bet.

FatFlyer
27th Dec 2000, 05:05
It may be irresponsible to suggest it, but why not get some Atenolol or other beta blocker to lower it for the test.
if your GP won't prescribe it, buy some abroad where it is not a prescription only medicine.

mutt
27th Dec 2000, 11:18
Wetnose,

I suffer from the same thing every year, therefore i get weekly blood pressure readings from our company medical department for the proceeding two months. I present these at the medical and have passed every time.

Mutt

Jurassic Jet Man
2nd Jan 2001, 02:19
Wetnose

I have had the same problem for years. I was traumatised by a big hairy nurse with an attitude, and have never been the same since about BP.

The main thing for me was to find a doctor for my medicals I was comfortable with, and stick with him. That meant that he would "work" with me. The bloke I have now is very sympathetic to the White Coate Syndrome. The other thing I think is to be upfront about it. Tell whoever is taking it that you react thusly,and they'll factor it in.

I am seriously considering simply going along with a BP prescription, and be done with it. There is always a nagging worry that there is more to it than simply showing up for a physical. The FAA (and I hope now the CAA) are far more enlightened about these things. In fact, I think you will find that the FAA no longer simply sets numeric limits for BP - check it out.

Write to me if you want to discuss it more.

JJM

Captain Gidday
3rd Jan 2001, 15:42
Go to your medical with an empty stomach. Your BP is significantly lower before eating than after a meal.

sam flanders
6th Jan 2001, 00:46
The no-trick solution to white coat hypertension is a 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure recording. If your BP is normal it will show the white coat hypertension and reduction to normal levels, together with the normal drop at night. Ask your AME or GP to arrange it. Good luck. SF

wetnose
6th Jan 2001, 02:14
Many thanks to all who replied!

I was going to go to the medical after taking an asprin, a beta-blocker, and with an empty stomach, (and hope I wasn't traumatised by a hairy nurse!), but instead, just took asprin.
My blood pressure at the medical was an amazing 107 over 65 !! - God knows how!

Anyway, thanks again for all your suggestions - I'm glad I found this bulletin board

Bird Strike
6th Jan 2001, 14:55
Wetnose,

Glad to hear that your blood pressure was OK this time! Maybe having coped very well this time, your white coat hypertension has been 'cured'?

52049er
9th Jan 2001, 23:54
If you are of the 'larger persuasion' ensure that the GP uses a properly sized cuff. Useing one that is too small for your arm can seriously increase the reading for your BP (as the mechanics of stopping the blood flow would need higher pressure in the area of inflatable cuff that actually touches your arm).

As a general rule, if he uses one that has a Drug company's advert on it, it is too small :)

FlyingV
20th Jan 2001, 00:26
Bringing this back to the top (thanks Whirlybird for pointing it out), as I find myself in such a situation.

I had a BP test today (for my job - not aviation related) and it was right on the limit according to JAR-FCL.
I've been called back for a repeat test on Monday & I'm worried about it already (which isn't going to help).

Obviously, I'll need to take steps to keep my blood pressure OK over the long term.

Any further ideas on how to get it under control in 3 days ?

Regards,
V.

Dr. Red
20th Jan 2001, 05:33
I think the suggestions here already are fairly sufficient. Take a couple of aspirins, don't eat or drink to heavily, and try not to worry - you'll be fine.

Bizzy
24th Jan 2001, 02:27
Alternately - you could exercise (not good for an immediate fix though!)

Desk Driver
25th Jan 2001, 17:36
There is a over the counter sedative called fenegram. It will calm you down if you take 1 or 2 tablets 1-2 hours before you go in.
Therefore lowering your BP.

However if they take a blood sample, do you want a sedative in it? Up to you.

Good luck anyway