PDA

View Full Version : Flying jobs for a full time college student?

bxample
29th May 2010, 09:19
Hey,
I was wondering if a full time college student could get a job as a pilot, assuming they already have a commercial pilots licence and a few hours under their belt. I have heard stories of this happening, of college students working in charter or business jets or even in some cases airlines, but I wanted to find out if it really is possible.

I am heading off to college in only a few years time and I have been flying with the Air Force Cadets for a while and hope to get my commercial pilot licence before go, and possibly seek employment as a pilot in college. I know airlines will probably be near impossible to get into as a student, but what about other flying jobs like charter or joyflights etc?

And if I do get the job, will it have a serious impact on my studies? I would consider myself a student first and a pilot second while in college.

Thanks guys

CAT1 REVERSION
29th May 2010, 09:39
You might get a better response in T and E or I, J and Sponsorship. This section isn't really the best place - I would suggest!!!!

flyhighspeed300
29th May 2010, 15:10
I have a degree And have a frozen ATPL for the last 2 years. I have no flying job. I am unable to get any charter/ business jet job work nor an instructor job even if i work for free as well.

Good luck but if your looking for a flying job in the next 10 years try the RAF because there is no commercial pilot jobs out there at the moment.

ei-flyer
30th May 2010, 14:11
flyhighspeed300,

1) Have you considered that it may be a personality issue that's preventing you from finding (any) aviation related work? I only say this as 'acquaintances' of mine have secured work recently, given it's SEP VFR, some instructing also. Networking/canvassing is the key.

2) because there is no commercial pilot jobs out there at the moment.

An untrue statement. There are. See above post.

3) The RAF would be of no use to this individual as his stated location is Sydney.

4) Your general sentiment, however, is right - to bxample, there is no point looking for flying work whilst studying for a college degree or similar. There is no reason an employer would need to look twice at you when there are hundreds of out of work pilots willing to work full time on a permanent contract (as elusive as these are in this day and age).

I feel I've been rather fair in my comments.

flyhighspeed300
31st May 2010, 21:11
ei-flyer very good cool about his stated location is Sydney.

I put my hands up to that one.

But there is still trying to fly for the MIL in that country as well.

You said that your now an flying Instructor ei-flyer. how many hours on average do you do a week? as we are talking about flying jobs.

The reason is my firends who are instructor at there aerodomes do less than 6 hours a week. so if we say 4 hours a week. so thats 192 hours a year. 192hours X £6 an hour = £1,152 a year

instructor jobs isn't a live able sarlay you could live off for the next 10 years.