PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Spirometer Test

AirScream
30th Jan 2001, 01:47
Anyone know the science of the spirometer test?

I know that it measures lung volume and expiration rate, but the expiration test has a limit of 70%.. 70% of what? Anyone know what inputs are used to determine the target figures. I suppose height is one? Any informed info much appreciated, class one at stake!

Ambition caption illuminated

[This message has been edited by AirScream (edited 29 January 2001).]

Hen
31st Jan 2001, 21:32
Hiya!

An answer to your questions:
They need to know your height and your weight to be able to estimate the size of your lungs. You exhale through the spirometer and it evaluates the amount of air you are able to breath out.

Exhalation is measured in the following way:
- during the first half a second or something like that it records the initial amount of air. If the amount is low it tells that there is obstruction in your lungs, because of asthma for example.

- the peak expiration flow= the maximum amount of air that you can exhale. This tells how "good" your lungs are, how much of the capacity you are actually using.

- and the last bit of your expiration shows if you can efficiently empty your lungs of air. (Also tells if there is obstruction in the bronchi and bronchioles)

Thatīs it! Hope that was the info you need...

flying doc
31st Jan 2001, 23:34
Hellooo,

The two values of importance when performing spirometric tests are:

FEV1 - Forced Expiratory Volume in 1 second
Yes, this calculates how efficient your lungs and air tubes are at expiring air quickly. It detects obstruction and constriction.

FVC - Force Vital Capacity. This is the volume of air you can expire after a deep breath. It hurts when you blow, and you have to blow for so long, so that every ml of air you can squeeze out does come out. This tests for disease which is preventing expansion of your lung tissue, and also shows if their is any consrtiction causing slowed expiration.

If you smoke, stop in the run up..well and when you do the test...blow like hell and don't stop until you're told to.

Happly blowing....ha ha

FD

AirScream
1st Feb 2001, 03:21
Thanks Hen and Doc

I was a bit short on puff, never smoked or had asthma.
Funnily I had 11% larger than predicted lung volume, yet low expiration rate compared to prediction.
Waiting to hear!

[This message has been edited by AirScream (edited 31 January 2001).]