PDA

View Full Version : EFB (e-Aircraft)

Fbag
28th May 2010, 12:49
The current EFB trials on a regional B777 have been considered a success and the project team is now discussing the next stage. The project has evolved from an EFB system on the flight deck to a fully integrated “e-aircraft” project with implications for Engineering and ISD and internet access for passengers. We seem to be leading the industry in this regard and the project has attracted the attention of both Airbus and Boeing who are sending teams to Hong Kong to evaluate the results of the trial.

Wow. I came away from "the trial" thinking it was a complete POS. Truly unimpressive 1990's technology.

Leading the industry? Considered a success? I'll have whatever he's smokin'...

sleeper
28th May 2010, 20:38
KLM's B777 have had fully integrated EFB,s from the start, 8 years ago. Their B777-300 als have fully electronical Aircraft maintanance manuals, with immediate down/up load to base.
So whats new here?

SMOC
30th May 2010, 07:05
When will you people get it. :E

CX INVENTED AVIATION

Beta Light
30th May 2010, 07:53
Trailblazers in their own minds, and that's why management feel they deserve those bonuses.

Sir KDM Lowe
30th May 2010, 09:33
KLM have always been a pioneering airline. They're able to accept the costs of basing pilots in Amsterdam while still managing a viable business.

I believe BA and VS do something similar out of London.

Thread drift..............

mcdude
30th May 2010, 23:36
Isn't the purpose of the trial more on the software side ie to validate the interaction of EFB applications with aircraft and ground systems, check satellite connections etc? I reckon the hardware choice remains undecided and the iPad hasn't been ruled out...:cool:

geh065
31st May 2010, 00:02
No, the main thing is to allow the cabin to have their own EFB and allow them to run the cabin systems from it. One feature in particular, the ability to check credit cards and get almost instantaneous bank approval for large duty free spending is behind the entire project. Not sure any other EFBs integrate into cabin-related functions.

Left Wing
31st May 2010, 02:44
CX wants to run this EFB solution without the two OEM's being involved... this gets them a lower cost and highly customized system for FOP and ISD...move away from ACARS towards Iridium satcom..

bogie30
1st Jun 2010, 07:12
I sliced my little finger on the display monitor turning onto the bay, it sticks out about 2 inches. The potential is big but not in its current guise as it looks very stupid and last minute. C sofa said in a fleet forum the real deal will be a far superior product. Here's hoping

Ex Cathedra
2nd Jun 2010, 10:16
CX wants to run this EFB solution without the two OEM's being involved... this gets them a lower cost and highly customized system

Ah, yes, go at it alone to save money, CX knows best anyway.

Just like the new cabin product... :}