PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis...

socal
2nd Nov 2000, 17:53
as a student at university, i have like many others dabbled in the mind expanding stuff several times. no bad thing in itself in my mind. however i will soon graduate and need to get a class 1 mediacal (CAA) but am worried that I might have to wait up to 6 months for the canabis to clear from my body before i spend a couple of hundred quid trying to get a mediacal. Will i fail my mediacal or not?

By the way, i have never flown snice trying it and shan't be flying before christma so don't go lecturing me about flying whilst stoned.

Brenoch
2nd Nov 2000, 17:58
I´d rather not have a pot-head in the air..

Ivchenko
2nd Nov 2000, 18:02
Hope Channel 4 don't see this thread

Rastaman
2nd Nov 2000, 18:17
Don't Worry,
'bout a ting,
'cos every little ting's
gonna be alright!

6-8 weeks for a heavy user to purge his system.

4-7 days for a night getting stoned

It is illegal, there has been very little research done it. Long and short, right or wrong, if you want to fly, don't get high. Have your fun, should you want to, but give it a nice long break B4 going anywhere near a class room let alone an aeroplane

As far as I know there is no drugs testing for your Class 1

Brenoch I agree with you, I wouldn't want a drunk either.

------------------
Irie

[This message has been edited by Rastaman (edited 02 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rastaman (edited 02 November 2000).]

G-OOFY
2nd Nov 2000, 18:31
JAA class one initial, drug test introduced this year I believe.

Captain Ed
2nd Nov 2000, 19:05
I hope you flunk the test. Who needs these freaks in the air?

Brenoch
2nd Nov 2000, 19:10
Implying I´m a drunk Rastaman?? :)

socal
2nd Nov 2000, 19:44
Captain ED

I could get very annoyed with you, calling me free a freak. Was it not revealed during the tory party conferance recently that something like 50% of the english polpulation have tried dope? anyway, don't the airines want well rounded people who have lived and are not encapsulated in a fake boring 2 dimensional stereotypical world?

ALKIN Hold
2nd Nov 2000, 20:06
Socal, ignore him, the good captain has rather narrow, reactionary and often downright nasty views - see Jet Blast for more details.

WHat you have uncovered is a serious issue. The CAA testing for drugs may open a whole can of worms.

There is absolutely no excuse in my mind of a pilot being under the influence of any ingested substance could jeapardise a pilot's ability to fly. Legal or not. As has been said, 'the influence' may actaully last a lot longer than you think.

That leaves the interesting case of dabblings well in the past, whether regretted or not. While I personally think that past transgressions that are definitely in the past should be OK, others may say that even though it is ancient history it shows a certain character trait that may be incompatible with flying.

I guess the jury's still out.

[This message has been edited by ALKIN Hold (edited 02 November 2000).]

Brenoch
2nd Nov 2000, 20:06
I´d think they do prefer people that are encapsulated in a fake boring 2 dimensional stereotypical world rather than stoned hippies..

fireflybob
2nd Nov 2000, 20:16
Don't know much about cannabis other than the fact that it is an illegal substance in the UK but I would have thought that common sense says that after some time one's system would be clear of any effects. This is different to LSD which I understand can create "flashbacks" many years later.
However, I think it may be preferable that potential pilots can express themselves correctly in written English and be able to use a spell checker when doing so!

------------------

LATEST
2nd Nov 2000, 20:27
I understand hair tests are being used in some medicals now - and they can detect cannibis use for a much longer period than months - more like a year or so..

bodger
2nd Nov 2000, 20:27
Fireflybob
I think you're alienating half of the people who use this board with that remark :)

[This message has been edited by bodger (edited 02 November 2000).]

foghorn
2nd Nov 2000, 20:35
LATEST

It depends on how long your hair is, so maybe that's a warning to hippies :) :) :) :) :) :)

Lawyerboy
2nd Nov 2000, 20:44
Here we go again... For once I'm in agreement with fireflybob on this one; far more important, I think, for potential Nigel's to be able at least to communicate effectively.

In any case, in answer to our friendly Mr Ed and ALKIN hold, given that one rarely finds someone these days who hasn't either tried it, known someone who's tried it, been tempted to try it or at the very worst is completely indefferent to it, I'm puzzled by the rather aggressive responses.

As for the comment that "others may say that even though it is ancient history it shows a certain character trait that may be incompatible with flying", what absolute tosh. Personally I don't smoke cigarettes, let alone cannabis, but I know a great many people who do and frankly more power to their elbow, I think they should be able to legally. If I smoked cigarettes I'd be smoking cannabis, I see no difference between the two. I'm a lawyer, reckon that means I show a certain character trait that may be incompatible with my profession?

insert chocks
2nd Nov 2000, 20:55
what are the dangers of passive smoking cannabis showing up on a medical. It is often smoked openly in bars and clubs!

------------------
I'd rather be up here than down there!

ALKIN Hold
2nd Nov 2000, 20:55
Whoa there Lawyerboy, read my post again before you lay into me!

In the text you've quoted from me I was trying to give a balanced opinion as to why some people might rationally object to pilots with cannabis-smoking histories (rationally as opposed to Ed-style reactionary behaviour).

I did clearly state that I think that for people who have cannabis-smoking in their past should have no problems (so therefore I'm glad you agree with me that the opposite argument quoted is Tosh!!!) Just clearing things up...

Lawyerboy
2nd Nov 2000, 21:11
Sorry about that ALKIN hold, having re-read your post you're absolutely right. Lawyers in glass houses....

mach78
2nd Nov 2000, 21:16
Whats this "JUNK" (pun) doing on R+N?
We already had a someone recently asking asking about this in the medical section.
Dusty Bin where are you?

[This message has been edited by mach78 (edited 02 November 2000).]

InFinRetirement
2nd Nov 2000, 21:37
Funny you should say that mach78, I looked at each post all the way down the thread before I realised it had lost its way and is now going to have a medical. Mind you I have doubts that it get through a Class 1.

PPRuNe Pop
[email protected]