PDA

View Full Version : Vision requirements - again...

Bing
18th Dec 2000, 11:50
To all the wannabes out there, with bad vision; I sent a letter to the JAA concerning vision requirements, and this is the answer I got:

"...Thank you for your letter with some questions regarding visual requirements
in JAR-FCL 3 (Medical) for a Class 1 medical certificate.

The currently applicable requirement, JAR-FCL 3.220 (b)(1), states: "At the
initial examination the refractive error shall not exceed +/- 3 dioptres"
which is the ICAO standard. The ICAO regulation is subject to change very
soon and refractive errors will not lead to an unfit assessment if there is
no further pathology of the eyes. For this reason the Medical Subcommittee
is presently discussing changes to the ophthalmological requirements in
JAR-FCL 3 but the new wording has not yet been agreed. The first draft is
expected to be ready in March next year and may be sent out for public
comments in summer 2001. Implementation of the changed requirements is not
expected until the end of 2001 at the earliest. For the time being the
requirement of a maximum of +/- 3 dioptres at an initial Class 1 assessment
remains in place..."

There's hope...

At last; a question to the professional pilots out there: do the (big) airlines usually have stricter requlations regarding vision requirements than the FAA or JAA have, or do they follow the authoroties' limits?

Thanks.

jlms
18th Dec 2000, 12:32
Hi there.

Thanks for sharing the info. Was wondering who exactly you addressed to. Thank you.

jlms

loz
18th Dec 2000, 19:03
thank u for ur help bing;
loz

wishtobeapilot
18th Dec 2000, 21:13
Good job Bing. Thanks for sharing that important info. I've asked some pilots in Asia and they said that the ICAO is the airlines' minimum requirements but they may continue to enforce their +/-3D. Let's hear more on this question from others.

Gordon Bennett
19th Dec 2000, 20:35
I had a problem getting my class 1 as my eyes are about -5. I was told, by a CAA doctor, to stop considering laser surgery as this can have complications. Instead I was offered a pre-JAA class 2 (I already had a Class 3 and PPL).
I was told that when I built up my hours to 700 I would be granted a Class 1. Before getting your hopes up, please remember this was pre-JAA and things have changed, but I do now hold a class 1 medical despite being able to see bugger-all without my contacts.
I am now looking for an airline job and do not expect to have my eyes tested before I get offered a job. As for major airlines enforcing the -3 limit, if that was the case they'd have to sack half their senior pilots! We all suffer from deterioration of sight as we get older, but this is compensated for (apparently) by experience.
The moral of this story is; If you really want to fly get whatever medical you can, get some experience and challenge the CAA to find you unfit.
Best of Luck.