PDA

View Full Version : VERY low flyby, 767

deSitter
27th May 2010, 21:37
Hello,

I live under a waypoint for KATL on the way to RWY 26 - the jets pass over at 8-11 thousand feet typically, parallel to the runways in the opposite direction, before turning 180 into the airport. This afternoon a 767 passed over at no more than 2! and perhaps as low as 1,500 - really quite low - the plane seemed in no distress and the engines sounded perfectly normal - he was headed (fortunately!) toward the field - is it common for a go-around to fly so low? What would explain it? I've lived here for 5 years and that's a first for me, a keen spotter. Thanks in advance.

-drl

Avman
27th May 2010, 21:51
Some years ago I had the pleasure of a G/A in a B727 at ATL (due to slow preceeding traffic). Because there was obviously nothing behind us, we made a wide, low (1500 feet or so) and slow racetrack turn back onto finals. Might have been something like that you saw?

deSitter
27th May 2010, 22:00
That's what I was thinking - that would explain exactly the direction he was taking, and he was definitely in a 10 degree right bank - but MAN that can't be SOP!! I've seen helicopters around here at that altitude.

The other factor - this happened during the busiest time at ATL, around 4:45 PM - I can't imagine how he'd mesh back into the constant stream of aircraft headed for 26R/L. It's possible he was low on fuel - these Delta 767s are often international flights - and had priority to land.

-drl

deSitter
27th May 2010, 22:03
I'll be damned - here's the answer:

Delta plane makes emergency landing at Hartsfield | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/delta-plane-makes-emergency-536905.html?cxntlid=brkng_nws_bnr)

There you go, he departed and immediately circled around effectively doing a standing go-around. Thanks God he got down OK!!

-drl

Groundloop
28th May 2010, 08:32
a standing go-around.

Never heard of this before!

PaperTiger
28th May 2010, 14:22
3000ft AGL according to the Herald:
Incident: Delta Airlines B763 at Atlanta on May 27th 2010, engine trouble (http://avherald.com/h?article=42c1cf43&opt=0)