PDA

View Full Version : which way

ZimAir09
27th May 2010, 13:53
This may seem a stupid Question that i should figure out my self, but i would like to hear what you have to say, especially if you have been or are in my situation.
I am in my 3rd year of university and will come out with a bachelor of business with only a single major in management, but if i stay another year i can get a double degree with a bachelor of accounting. I am 20 and have done a few hours flying and am paying my own way. so i guess my question is do i stay in uni paying for it, then do my flight training or do i just finish up the one degree and go into flying. i don't mind the uni work, but i don't know if it will be of any use when im in the flying as aviation is the only industry that i have any interest in.
thanks in advance..

redsnail
27th May 2010, 14:17
My initial reaction is to suggest you stay in Uni and get the double. I can't remember what the HECS fees are in Oz these days.
You'll be 21-22 by the time you've finished the degree(s).

Don't worry, you definitely won't be too old to start training.

I would then get a job, ideally using the degrees. Whether or not it's within the industry is immaterial. Do that for a year or so to save some cash and probably more importantly, get some life experience.
Working and saving is a good plan. You may need a year off from studying just to regroup. :)

You can either train part time, full time or in blocks of full time (ie using leave etc) and then see what happens.

Bruce Wayne
27th May 2010, 19:48
Stay in uni. especially at the moment oak.

(flew quite a bit out of FVCP a couple of years back.)

ZimAir09
28th May 2010, 00:33
thanks for the guidance, just another question, what sway does having a degree have on job advancement within an airline, i mean once ive done the hours and am sitting in the right hand seat of a heavy?

G SXTY
28th May 2010, 06:59
In terms of career advancement once you're in the job, a degree is far less important than ambition and/or being in the right place at the right time (in other words, luck).

As for promotion to the left hand seat, it makes no difference whatsoever.

redsnail
28th May 2010, 08:32
In Australia, you do not need a degree to get a job in the airlines. Now, if may help your overall application but I wouldn't rely on the degree to cover up poor flying technique or a lack of experience.

Will it affect promotion? Not to command it won't. It may help you if you want to go into management. That's where your degree will be of some use, especially if you've actually used it.