PDA

View Full Version : Macular Oedema - advice please.

YPJT
17th Dec 2000, 06:04
A friend has been diagnosed as having a central macular oedema, resulting in blurred vision in the centre field of one eye.

This disorder usually is associated with either diabetes or as a degenerative form with old age. Apparently there was no injury or illness to bring on the complaint.

Has anyone ever experienced this disorder?
Is it treatable?

Apparently he was told that in a couple of months it will usually clear up by itself.

Any experiences or knowledge on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Vimto
18th Dec 2000, 00:57
This sounds very similar to a condition that I have called 'Central Serous Retinopothy'. The way it has been described to me is it is were some fluid gets behind the retina or macular lifting it up and so causing a visual disturbance. In my case it just 'happened' with no warning. I was walking down the street minding my own business when suddenly WHAM a bright speck of light appeared near my central vision in one eye. Over a couple of months this reduced to a small grey spot that is occasionally still (1.5 years later) visible under certain circumstances (i.e. it never completely cleared up). However, I still pass the field vision.

I've not been able to find any additional information about this condition anywhere. I started a topic here a couple of months ago and had no response - nobody's heard of it! Maybe you can give me more info about it? Feel free to email me if you wish to.

HotDog
18th Dec 2000, 12:28
YPJT, check out <A HREF="http://freespace.virgin.net/morgan.french/BDA.HTM." TARGET="_blank">http://freespace.virgin.net/morgan.french/BDA.HTM.</A> I think youll find all the answers. Cheers,HD.

YPJT
19th Dec 2000, 06:38
Thanks for the info so far.

HotDog. The condition does not appear to be associated with diabetes so hopefully it will be just one of those things which will, as suggested by the eye gurus, sort itstelf out with time.

YPJT
9th Jan 2001, 09:33
Vimto,

As it turned out, friends diagnosis was exactly as you had, Centreal Serous Retinopathy, which is a lot more comforting when compared to the Macular Oedema.

It would appear there it is far more prevelant in males 30 - 45 years and one of the causal factors seems to be stress. (this is probably due to the fact that your kids are teenagers by the time you hit that age)
The treatment advised is simply let it run it's own course and in most cases 2 -4 months will see a full recovery.

Laser treatment may be recommended where the condition does not improve after this time.