PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Citation Crash

Chronus
26th May 2010, 19:29
AAIB have published their Formal Report 3/2010 on the accident to C500 VP-BGE which crashed NNE of Biggin Hill on 30 March 2008.
The report sets out four contributory factors:
1. Probable mechanical failure within the air cycle machine which caused the vibration reported by the crew.
2. Missing rivet head on LE fuel shut off valve may have led to inadvertent shut down of the engine.
3. 70 seconds prior to impact neither engine was producing thrust.
4. A relight attempt on second engine was probably started before the relit engine had reached idle speed resulting in insufficient time for enough thrust to arrest rate of descent before ground impact.

This accident is reminiscent of the Kegworth B737-400 crash of January 1989 where the crew mistrusted the engine vibration instruments, the Captain failed to challange his FO`s uncertain call and the wrong engine was shut down.

The report raises more questions than it answers, particularly in respect to two pilot operations, CRM, SRM and perhaps a mixture of it all.
A CVR on board would certainly have helped to shed better light on the cause and circumstance of this accident.

mcgoo
26th May 2010, 19:38
Being discussed in Bizjets:

http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/335643-citation-biggin-crash-any-news-why-yet-4.html

Pace
26th May 2010, 20:33
mcgoo

Is it not strange that such an important topic has been relegated to the back of an old thread I started ages ago and has not generated any interest?

At the time this awful tragedy was THE TOPIC in the forums with multiple comments and speculation with many calling for NO speculation! " Wait for the AAIB reports".

Now they are out NIL interest.

Funny world :ugh: It proves the best time to discuss accidents is when they happen and to not wait for the AAIB reports as no one will read them anyway

Pace

Miles Magister
26th May 2010, 22:52
I think people are being careful about discussing the root cause which is a common phenomenon in our industry, random pilots crewed together with no common or controlled training.

MM

Trim Stab
27th May 2010, 08:56
I think people are being careful about discussing the root cause which is a common phenomenon in our industry, random pilots crewed together with no common or controlled training.

MM

I agree. Like many of us, I am obliged currently to fly freelance at the moment and it is not conducive to good CRM and safety.