PDA

View Full Version : Google & IE Can't Go Back

Terraplaneblues
26th May 2010, 11:36
Strange thing today on 3 different computers, from a google search (of anything) select one of the results, go to that webpage, then select back and it just won't go back? Only in IE8, all is normal in Firefox.
Only seen the problem from google, hovering over the back button, it gives the correct url ie google plus whatever was searched, it just won't go there?
Anyone having the same problem?

jimtherev
26th May 2010, 14:27
Yup, comes and goes, though. I've found that on troublesome sites (never Pprune) a quickish double click on the back button often obliges. However, using the (configured) back button on the mouse seldom does so. 'tis strange.

It's quite a recent phenomenon - say in the last four weeks; doesn't seem to be getting 'worse', though.

G-CPTN
26th May 2010, 14:49
I've found that on troublesome sites (never PPRuNe) a quickish double click on the back button often obliges.
Same experience here - it seems some sites just don't want to lose you . . .

Saab Dastard
26th May 2010, 17:58
Right click (almost) anywhere on the page and then select Back - does that work?

SD

jimtherev
26th May 2010, 18:56
Don't know - haven't tried that one. Next time I get a misbehaviour I'll try & then report back.
Thanks,
J.

Bruce Wayne
26th May 2010, 19:13
what you will find is that in some cases there is an advert or scrpit that opens with the page, so you are clicking back, but the back is clicking to the script.

if you click the drop down arrow by the back and foward button you will see a history list in some cases the actual previous page may be 2 or three lines down on the history list.

Gertrude the Wombat
26th May 2010, 21:10
It's a Google bug, there's a story on El Reg.

Google say they've fixed it and it should be OK for everyone within the next few hours.

Terraplaneblues
27th May 2010, 06:09
Thanks for the responses, all working normally now.