PDA

View Full Version : What happens in a Class 1 med' exam??

theunknown
9th Dec 2000, 20:45
Going down to Gatwick for my first attempt at a class 1 medical exam, but i have no idea about what will happen! So how long will it last, what tests do they do, do you find out the results on the day?? Thanks for the info!

Final Destination
9th Dec 2000, 21:48
Hi theuknowen,
It's my first try at the class one medical on tue 12 dec and I'm terrified as I don't know either what they do to us. If you haven't had a reply before tuesday i will tell you everything you need to know

Bird Strike
10th Dec 2000, 02:28
I think you'll find that the most terrifying part is where you part with your money!

As far as I can remember, you'll do ECG, EEG, lung function (you blow into a tube), fairly comprehensive eye test, audiogram, blood test (I think they're doing anaemia and lipid profile?), blood pressure etc (I probably forgot quite a few others though). I don't know how long it takes nowadays, as it usually involves certain amount of hanging around. None of the tests is scary, don't worry too much, and relax.

They should be able to tell you if you have met the standards on the day if you ask, although they will probably say that it's subject to having ECG looked at etc etc.

Good luck.

Whirlybird
10th Dec 2000, 02:49
Bird Strike's got it about right. I was there in July, and it was OK, nothing like as bad as I expected. You get a lot of time to hang about and chat between tests; that's what takes most of the time. You can also get good food at the subsidised restaurant on the top floor. Everyone's very friendly and laid back, and I think I was there about 3 to 4 hours altogether.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

Final Destination
14th Dec 2000, 17:16
wWell I did the class 1 Medical and according to the doctor It went ok still have to wait 2 weeks to find out if I passed or not.
With regards to the eye regulations the optometrist that examined me told me that the limits were still +/-3.I'm currently -3.25 left and -3.5 right eye yet he still passed me on the fact that my eyesight corrected met the 6/6 when corrected which was a MASSIVE bonus to me. The rest of the tests were ok and the nurses and doctors were all very very nice.
Here is a list of what they did:
1./a full physical medical examination by a doctor (including the cough cough test) and an eyesight test by an optometrist.
2./a resting electrocardiogram(ECG) to check your heart.
3./spirometry to asses your lung function.
4./an audiogram to evaluate your hearing.
5./a chest x-ray.
6./urine testing(make sure you go prepared to give a sample).
7./an electroencephalogram(EEG)-(hair should not contain gel/hairspray etc)-this is to test if you suffer from epilepsy.
8./blood tests
If anyone needs more info send me an e-mail to [email protected]
I hope this helps.

AMS
15th Dec 2000, 01:10
Hey Final Destination,

I have mine on next weeks and am really worried about the spirometry test.

I am not Asthmatic, and I did a test at my local gym, the results were as follows:

The Size : was 2.95 and poor compared to what I should have been on btwn 4.1 - 5.3ltrs

The Strength was 2.62 and again poor compared to what I should have been on 3.4 - 4.4 ltres.

Efficiency: was GOOD and a 89% better than what it should be on 74.6% - 88.6%.

Peak Flow: was about 572 and again normal as it was within limits 545 - 665Lmin.

Please advise should I fail with this??

I did have a slight cold a while back and I USED to smoke but have given up. ( and still WITHOUT HAVING ONE!!)

Please advise

I am REALLY worried

Thanks

AMS

Bird Strike
15th Dec 2000, 13:32
AMS,

I haven't a clue about the 'limits' on spirometry, but if you telephone CAA Medical Division, they should be able to answer that question. They normally let people remain anonymous.

Final Destination
15th Dec 2000, 18:30
Hi AMS,
to be quite honest I'm not really sure on the limits for this test.
I was predicted by the computer to be about 4.8 however I only managed 3.9 which came to about 82% which the nurse said was fine.
However i would reccomend whatbird strike said and phone the CAA because from my experience of them they are more than willing to help and they do now how to put you at ease.If there is anything else you would like to know just send me an e-mail.
Cheers FD :)

AMS
16th Dec 2000, 00:51
Hey Guys,

I did call the medical dept. today. A lovely lady doctor told me not to really worry about this, as its normal if I have recently given up smoking. She asked whether I had asthma, to which I said I had not and she said it should all be fine.

So lets hope!!

Thanks

AMS

Final Destination
16th Dec 2000, 05:04
AMS you will have nothing to worry at all.Its not like you have to do much just go and let them prod and probe you and at the end of it you will have a lovely nice Class 1 Medical certificate
Good Luck FD :)

Rob_L
16th Dec 2000, 16:02
There are those who have learned not to be too trusting of the "don't worry, you'll be fine". It happened to someone I know. There was a question on his Class 1 which was referred to their consultant, supposedly as a mere formality ("You'll see, there's not a problem, really"). The consultant said "the good news is i can't find anything wrong with you. The bad news is you don'y meet Class 1 standard". When the person then asked for a second opinion, the consultant said he'd get his colleague to do this. Surprise surprise his colleague backed him up. When the person appealed, the consultant had changed his tone from ("nothing wrong" to "this person should never be allowed anywhere near an aircraft", and he spent a year just trying to get his Class 3 reinstated.

Final Destination
16th Dec 2000, 22:40
I apologise if I have given any false impressions about the medical being easy all I meant was that there was nothing to worry about in terms of the doctors and nurses being really helpful and explained everything they done to you.
sorry everyone if I offended you.
(plus I still haven't recieved any news wether I have passed the medical or not)
Sorry again FD http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

Rob_L
17th Dec 2000, 04:14
No apology required, and I wasn't trying to be alarmist, just showing the other side.
Hope all goes well