PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Air flight FR 445

LCA Bound
26th May 2010, 10:07
Just a quick querie, I was travelling on the above flight on monday 24th from Liverpool to dublin , pretty un eventfull untill the descent in to dublin , as soon as the landing gear was lowered the plane seemed to become a bit bouncy , I understand that the landing gear affects the airo dynamics a little but this seemed a bit more than that , there was one point when the plane lurched to the left quite hard after which the throttles were opened up and it seemed to land quite fast, the weather was good with little wind , could this have been an unexpected crosswind or similar.
I will point out that I didnt feel over anctious about this although my coleague gave birth to kittens and is contemplating swimming home later today :)

RingwaySam
26th May 2010, 11:01
The wind on the ground doesn't represent the wind at 1000-3000ft so it could well have been quite windy at that altitude.

I've been to Dublin a few times, always seems slightly more turbulent than most approaches, maybe it was just a coincidence it became turbulent when the gear was lowered.

For the fast approach, see this thread:
http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/343654-737-800-landing-speed.html

Cloud Bunny
26th May 2010, 18:22
Pure coincidence this occured when the gear was lowered. The landing gear, other than being pretty essential for landing, significantly increases the drag - it will have no effect on the aircraft rocking side to side.
What you experienced is windshear, occuring as a result of flying through the wake of the previous aircraft (particaularly if it was a heavy such as A330 Aer Lingus) or varying gusting winds at that altitude or even thermals rising from the ground if it was a hot day and you're coming in on runway 10.

Pretty standard stuff for Dublin - I have been flying in and out of there for nearly 6 years now and I don't think I've had a smooth approach yet!!
Absolutely nothing to be even the slightest bit concerned about.

LCA Bound
27th May 2010, 15:02
Many thanks for the replies , Its good that you guys in the know will take the time to answer our questions . And for the record the return flight Fr444 yesterday was probably the smoothest flight I have been on. :ok: to the flight crew

PaperTiger
28th May 2010, 14:26
Bunny, windshear and wake turbulence are two entirely different things.

10DowningSt
29th May 2010, 14:10
Its good that you guys in the know will take the time to answer our questions

A sublime pprune moment, after the post before that!

Cloud Bunny
1st Jun 2010, 09:01
Bunny, windshear and wake turbulence are two entirely different things.

Yeah, I know that. After 15 years of flying so far I've grasped that concept although what I don't seem to have got to grips with is punctuation and grammar and generally being awake after a very long early shift!!
What that should have said is "windshear, OR the occurence of flying through the wake of another......."etc etc

I know what I meant!!:p

etrang
1st Jun 2010, 09:14
Hope the kittens are ok.