PDA

View Full Version : US. accepted Security Clearance for Afghanistan

Bitmonx
26th May 2010, 00:35
I have the opportunity to go to Afghanistan and fly for a Canadian Helicopter Company (CHL) which has a contract with the US Government for Civilian operations in Afghanistan. I am not Canadian nor am I a Canadian Resident. I am Swiss.
Where can I find out if the US Government would accept a Swiss Security Clearance for Afghanistan? Who could I ask this at the DoD?

Help is much appreciated

Bitmonx

ZuluMike
26th May 2010, 08:52
CHL will have the best contact details. Establish if it is the US Govt on its own or if the contract is within ISAF (NATO), you may be able to make contact through NATO (see its website). Via ISAF, the US has a working relationship with 44 nations in Afghanistan, chances are that for a civilian support contract Swiss is fine. The DoD can be very pragmatic when it wants to be, currently employing ex-KLA insurgents in various 'secure' places (remember Kosovo?).

Two's in
26th May 2010, 14:39
As mentioned, the usual route is for the contract holder's (CHL) Security Officer to apply for the clearances of the employees. You probably won't get anywhere with an individual query.

Bitmonx
26th May 2010, 17:36
Thanks for replying.

I think CHL is very cautious about this issue. It is my understanding that CHL does not want to have to ask the US to accept a Swiss Security Clearance and I understand CHL's position on this matter.
It will be very difficult to prove to CHL that I will be accepted by the US Government to fly in Afghanistan...
Any other info is highly appreciated

Thanks,

bitmonx

GreenKnight121
26th May 2010, 21:55
Or you could "go direct" and visit the US embassy, explain your concerns, and ask if they have any advice.

Bitmonx
26th May 2010, 22:30
Yes, the US Embassy in Switzerland will be the best way to get info from. It is my first priority once I get back to Switzerland which is next week.