PDA

View Full Version : Turbulence injures 10 on UA935 LHR-LAX

GarageYears
25th May 2010, 21:06
CNN: A United Airlines jet en route from London, England, to Los Angeles, California, was diverted Tuesday to Montreal, Quebec, after turbulence injured 10 people aboard, an airline spokeswoman said. Flight 935 had departed London's Heathrow International Airport bound for Los Angeles International Airport at 10:05 a.m. (5:05 a.m. ET) carrying three pilots, 12 flight attendants and 196 passengers, spokeswoman Megan McCarthy said.
But the Boeing 777, which was to have landed at 1:15 p.m. (4:15 p.m. ET), encountered severe turbulence over the Atlantic Ocean and landed instead at Montreal's Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, she said.
The injured people -- nine passengers and a crew member -- were taken to an area hospital with injuries that are not life-threatening and will stay in Montreal.
The remaining passengers and crew were to travel to Los Angeles aboard an aircraft that was being sent to Montreal from Chicago, Illinois, McCarthy said. The airline's website estimated their arrival in Los Angeles at 8:02 p.m. (11:02 p.m. ET).
Must have been some wild ride.

- GY

palisadesk
25th May 2010, 23:56
Canadian media variously cite 6-10 injured, the discrepancy may be due to reports that medical personnel treated some passengers on board for minor injuries (cuts and bruises), but six were transported to hospital, including a pregnant woman, an injured flight attendant and a passenger (other reports say a crew member) with a compound fracture of the arm..

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation report here:
CBC News - Montreal - United Airlines flight turbulence injures 10 (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/05/25/montreal-emergency-landing.html)

hkgmjq
26th May 2010, 01:30
From the above:

"Turbulence severe enough to cause injury to passengers is a rare occurrence, said Joanne Richards, a flight attendant trainer with Air Transat.

"For these injuries, it has got to be unpredicted," she said. "That could do with air pressure, wind, the jet stream, [or] the temperature.

"It's a very hot day today as everyone has noticed.""

Hmmm.

protectthehornet
26th May 2010, 02:18
hmmm is right

seat belt sign on?

onprofile
26th May 2010, 02:35
Clear air turbulence rarely gives any pre warning to secure the cabin and passengers and it's amazing how many passengers still don't leave their seat belts loosely fastened even when the seat belt sign is off.

413X3
26th May 2010, 04:45
how many people in cruise still keep their belts off even with the sign on? Now they know...

Smoketrails
26th May 2010, 04:55
...how many people sitting on the bog?:ok:

Paracab
26th May 2010, 07:31
I've only crossed the atlantic once, and ended up being being strapped in for three hours in smooth conditions (American carrier). I needed the loo, I didn't leave my seat, but plenty of people did. Not pointing the finger as I don't know what went on up there, but food for thought perhaps.

Avman
26th May 2010, 08:51
Folks, we've been down this 'seat belt' road dozens of times before here on PPRuNe. It comes up every time pax get injured in turbulence. Bottom line is that for valid reasons there will always be a few that get caught out, not least cabin crew. On a 11 hour flight I sit/lie with my seat belt on. However, I will need the restroom at least a couple of times. If the seat belt sign is off I'm going to go. Now, it may just be my bad luck that just at that point we hit moderate/severe turbulence and bingo I'm an injury statistic. It's just one of many of life's risks we have to take. Live with it.

gcal
26th May 2010, 09:09
I have noticed that U.S. carriers sometimes have the seat belt sign on for the entire trip. Or, are likely to have it on for even minor turbulence when european carriers would not.
But as has been stated, these things will happend from time to time. Though some areas are more prone to it; mid summer approach to BCN letting down over the mountains springs to mind!

TG345
26th May 2010, 09:53
Regarding the issue of leaving seat belts loosely fastened. I think the considerable variation in seat belt length is an issue here. I am 6'4" and of fairly large frame. I wouldn't describe myself as obese (honest!). I would much prefer to keep my belt on in the cruise. Sometimes the belt is long enough that one can slouch comfortably in the seat with it fastened. Other belts are so short that it is really only feasible to sit bolt upright when wearing them. When faced with a short belt like this, I have to confess that I sometimes trade maximum safety for comfort. Wish they were all the longer length type.

Cloud Bunny
26th May 2010, 10:07
Though some areas are more prone to it; mid summer approach to BCN letting down over the mountains springs to mind!

Really?? Not discounting your point but I fly that way all the time and I've never noticed an increase in turbulence over the mountains in the summer over any other time of year. Unless your referring to thunderstorm activity which obviously during July/August is a bit more of a common occurence. Generally I find it to be a bit more choppy in that area over the winter when it's windy over the hills.
Like I said not discounting your point, maybe I've just been lucky! Off to work now anyway, hopefully a smooooth day out!:cool:

CB

Capot
26th May 2010, 10:18
TG345

Wish they were all the longer length type.

Try asking for an extension. You never know your luck, you might find a rare combination of one being available and a cabin crew member inclined and empowered to be as helpful as possible, rather than inclined by nature and training to think of a reason for refusing, however bizarre.

clipstone1
26th May 2010, 12:20
and alas, if clear air turb, the crew are likely to have loaded bar or meal carts in the aisle too which fly about the cabin!

glad rag
26th May 2010, 12:42
You never know your luck, you might find a rare combination of one being available and a cabin crew member inclined and empowered to be as helpful as possible, rather than inclined by nature and training to think of a reason for refusing, however bizarre. Today 11:07

:E:EEine Woche im kühleren für Sie!:E :ok:

Northbeach
26th May 2010, 12:58
gcal,

“I have noticed that U.S. carriers sometimes have the seat belt sign on for the entire trip. Or, are likely to have it on for even minor turbulence when european carriers would not.”

It all comes down to money and liability. A decade or so ago a passenger (relative of a famous film director) was injured in flight. They had the resources to hire an effective attorney who very successfully sued the airline for damages. Remember, this is the country (U.S.A.) where a jury awarded a plaintiff 2.7 million dollars (later reduced by the Judge in the case to $480,000) for being burned by a hot cup of coffee at a McDonald’s restaurant. http://www.hurt911.org/mcdonalds.html (http://www.hurt911.org/mcdonalds.html)

My airline tells me to have the seatbelt on whenever there is any turbulence. We are also required to notify the passengers that while seated our airline’s policy is that they are obligated to have their seatbelts fastened regardless of whether the seatbelt sign is on or off. It is mandatory for us to make several announcements regarding the seatbelt during every flight.

Much of the time I cannot predict or detect turbulence. If you are unsecured in your seat, and we encounter turbulence, you stand a greater chance of being injured.

I do not fly European carriers very often, so I have no relative experience to compare. If you notice U.S. carriers having their seatbelt signs illuminated much more it is because of the litigious society and defensive legal strategies driven by corporate attorneys.

Pace
26th May 2010, 13:23
NorthBeach

I fully understand the liability thing but where does that stop. There was a massive media coverage on DVTs on long haul flights especially. It is now common to see many passengers on walk abouts in flight I presume to protect themselves from DVTs or just boredom.

On the whole pilots are aware of potentional turbulence by a number of means so there should be no need to have the seatbelts ON for the complete flight.

Pace

Bill Harris
26th May 2010, 14:57
NorthBeach

I fully understand the liability thing but where does that stop...
Agreed, but this is a case where risk of lawyers greatly outweighs the risk of sitting unbelted.

--Bill

Eboy
27th May 2010, 09:38
Once I was walking in an aisle and turbulence hit. It was really, really bad. I was in big trouble and didn't know what to do but a United flight attendant had it under control in 10 seconds. Here is what she had me do.

1. Lie down in the aisle.

2. Take one arm and loop it through the bottom of a seat frame.

3. Grab both wrists.

That's it. What happens is your body yanks against the inside of your elbow for as long as the turbulence lasts. Because your arm is bent, it acts as a hook, and it is easy to keep your hands together. (If you just grab on to a fixed object with your hands, you can be yanked away.) The inside of your elbow may be bruised and sore for a few days, but you'll stay in one place.