25th May 2010, 09:35
From THIS is TRUE Extra Stories

FEELING SECURE YET? Australian federal officials are reviewing security
at the Dubbo airport in New South Wales after a traveler spotted a note
on a security gate. It read: "Gate Access Code" and gave the code to
get through the gate into secure areas. Megan Dixon of the Dubbo City
Council said the code was posted for "itinerant airport workers who
have security clearance to use this gate," adding "We had a security
audit last year, which we passed." (Sydney Telegraph) ..

rioncentu
25th May 2010, 10:05
Yes they need to ban gate codes and instead institute the stupid swipe card system like we have here in Rocky.

Best way ever to stop visitors coming in.

Perfect security!

Jabawocky
25th May 2010, 12:05
The whole regional security thing is garbage from start to finish, we all know it, so why do the fedral government departments think otherwise.

If anyone cay arrange to get the Minister....whoever he or she is these days, I will personally fund a trip around some regional ports to prove it and suggest ways to dispense with it and not compromise security one bit.

Any offers to help?

HotPete
25th May 2010, 12:37
The notice with the code on it at Dubbo was on the AIRSIDE.
It was of course for visiting aircrew and accompanying people to get out and then get back in again.
The nark who called up the media was saying that with a long arm or a stick and a mirror or mobile phone, a terrorist could read the number and come airside.

Jabawocky
25th May 2010, 12:40
yeah right....only if they knew where it was:ugh:

YPJT
25th May 2010, 13:38
Jabawocky,
I will personally fund a trip around some regional ports to prove it and suggest ways to dispense with it and not compromise security one bit.

Look forward to seeing you at the next RICM (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/index.aspx)

FRQ Charlie Bravo
25th May 2010, 13:44
I just love the gate at YCDU with the massive sign instructing people to choose any number between #,### and ##,### to get out and then use the same number to get back in. There should also be another sign saying that if that's just too damn hard go a few feet West and hop the fence between the Air BP bowser and the Nullarbor Highway.

Brilliant. Mind you, if I was forced to buy a stupid security fence for one of these regional joints I'd go for the bare minimum too and make sure that it's easy to get around.

~FRQ CB

Worrals in the wilds
25th May 2010, 15:10
Megan Dixon of the Dubbo City Council said the code was posted for "itinerant airport workers who have security clearance to use this gate,"
Megan needs to go on a course to learn The Art of Answering Media Questions Without Dumping One's Council In The Poo.

TonKat
26th May 2010, 03:29
Security fence - What security fence? our local one is there to keep the kangaroos out!!

:ok::ok:

G'Day Jaba - will expect to see you with the minister next time:E

David75
26th May 2010, 03:51
Maybe we need someone on the threshold checking IDs as well. Anyone can land an aircraft airside without passing through the gates/security.

Jabawocky
26th May 2010, 04:56
Tonkers :ok:

If I can get them to actually listen and turn up...I'll bring them out to see your Roo Fence.

It doesn't keep out the ratbags tho :E

YPJT
26th May 2010, 07:49
At the risk of sounding like a broken record I will reiterate. There are some very knowledgeable people here on PPRUNE with years of experience in the practical applicaton of security on and around airports. Something the public servants within OTS severely lack.

It is somewhat saddening though that many of these thoughts make it no further than the pages of PPRUNE rather than making a concerted effort to lobby the very people who can make a difference. I don't mean your local palm squeezing politician either. It is the public servants you have to convince to that changes need or need not be made. They are the ones who ultimately advise the secretary and minister.

The industry consultatlive meetings hosted by OTS are very good vehicles for getting your point/s accross provided they are well reasoned and backed up with fact.

David75, that is a very good point. All efforts are aimed at the departing aircraft with no mention whatsoever, anywhere about arriving aircraft.

longrass
26th May 2010, 11:14
Go to Elcho Island, where the gate was purposely rendered US because it was a pain in the rectum.... Also the hole in the fence where the coons sneak in helps as well

185skywagon
26th May 2010, 11:31
FRQ,
2 years ago, we landed at YCDU on roo survey. Some of the survey crew managed to open the RPT baggage gate from the inside. We all exited through this gate. Of course, upon our return, we had no way of getting back in through the GA gate, as we had not entered a number series into it, to exit in the first place. Rang airport manager, who was in WA at the time. He suggested a couple of codes, none of which worked. Back through baggage gate and entered an exit code so we could be filmed(there are cameras) going in the correct gate.

Pinky the pilot
26th May 2010, 11:50
Re a few of the above posts demonstrating the absolute farcical situation of `airport security` at regional airports;

Just how many millions of taxpayers dollars went into producing all of this?:ugh:

And exactly what has it all achieved?:mad:

Jabawocky; More power to you. It is my sincere hope that you succeed in getting the Minister to accompany you on your proposed tour.:ok:
My cynical side tells me not to hold my breath however, as no politician, certainly none of the current mob of any of the parties, would wish to have idiotic wastes of taxpayers money such as the subject under discussion here rubbed in their faces.

Jabawocky
26th May 2010, 12:47
185.....the funny thing is I am sure that is not the only crazy story you could tell.

Anyone noticed the camera's on the apron at YBDV :rolleyes:

I wonder if Jaba Jnr mooned them when we were there last year:ooh:. Not sure if they were installed then, but they are now!

Pinky.... the offer stands, i'll do my bit buy I need to getget the right one or two who can change stuff, not some head nodder!

Worrals in the wilds
26th May 2010, 14:46
And exactly what has it all achieved?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif
Well, no-one's bombed Birdsville. The key question is whether anyone wanted to in the first place, but that's not Government thinking. No-one's done it, so the system must be working :}.

YPJT, I agree wholeheartedly, but I think that unfortunately the majority of people in the industry feel completely disenfranchised with this stuff. Going to a meeting requires time, energy and preparation, and I think that most people feel they won't be listened to anway. I'm glad you're still trying.

P.S. being bombed AT Birdsville doesn't count. :E

How're you going up there, Pinky? Enjoying yourself?

Pinky the pilot
27th May 2010, 01:18
How're you going up there, Pinky? Enjoying yourself?

Certainly am!:ok: Though today nearly all of Hokkaido is rather wet and bloody cold! So no flying!:{

Well, no-one's bombed Birdsville

Or Boulia, Bedourie and a few other places I could think of. So what was the point of putting up security fencing at some regional airports merely because a once or twice a week RPT flight comes in?:confused:

And if you walk a little way you can by-pass the flamin` gates anyway!!

tnuc
27th May 2010, 21:38
Terrorists are LAZY apparently !