PDA

View Full Version : RAF Museum plans

DeKd
25th May 2010, 07:40
I'm surprised there hasn't been much comment on these plans - especially given the difficulty the RAFM seems to have keeping going what it has already....

Battle of Britain - Royal Air Force Museum (http://www.battleofbritainbeacon.org/)

Will this really get planning permission - or is it a total waste of valuable resources even thinking about it?

Steve Bond
25th May 2010, 10:12
The thing that really worries me about it, is that the Spitfire, Hurricane and Bf.109 at the top are "above the glass roof", so are therefore open to the elements. I hope they are replicas!

diddy1234
25th May 2010, 13:54
I am also wondering where the military show days would go and any helicopters that fly in will land.

After all the planned building is the last green bit of space where the above activities happen.

RedhillPhil
27th May 2010, 10:43
Bit ironic that the background music for the presentation is by a German.....

eglnyt
27th May 2010, 11:03
Bit ironic that the background music for the presentation is by a German.....

When did Cheltenham become part of Germany ?

Agaricus bisporus
27th May 2010, 19:52
Are they (expletive deleted) completely mad?

I thought I saw a figure of £20M in the press for this trite, pc and non informative twaddle.

For that figure they'd probably be able to add a Wellington, Sunderland and Blenhiem to the BBMF, and probably a Shagbat too!

How utterly ludicrous!

Flap40
27th May 2010, 21:48
The viewing concept (lift to the top then spiral walk down) is obviously copied from the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart which is a fabulous experience, not just for the vehicles, but also for the architecture. I suspect that most of the exhibits will have to be replicas but I think the building looks fabulous and if it draws more visitors into the museum as a whole then I think that it is worth it.

RETDPI
28th May 2010, 07:28
Are they (expletive deleted) completely mad?

I thought I saw a figure of £20M in the press for this trite, pc and non informative twaddle.

Er, try multiplying that figure by four.
And that's just an initial estimate by its proponents..

603DX
28th May 2010, 13:07
There are a number of museums around the UK with special exhibitions relating the crucial saga of the Battle of Britain. I have visited a number of them, and never fail to be moved by the epic nature of the conflict itself, and the obvious respect and dedication displayed by both paid staff and volunteers. The existing BoB Hall at Hendon is rightfully a leader in this respect as the main RAF museum venue, and I would not argue with a planned updating of the facilities available on site. However, I feel that a sense of proportion must prevail regarding the scale and cost of this, if solely devoted to one relatively brief, albeit critical, period in the RAF's massive defensive and offensive task during WW2.

Bomber Command was in it for the long haul, from September 1939 to May 1945, and its huge numbers of aircrew showed incredible determination, gallantry and sheer guts in carrying out their essential duties during that full term. Many think that the VC award to Leonard Cheshire for sustained, unremitting bravery and leadership over a very long period was earned in the hardest manner possible. Yet hardly have those brave men been properly acknowledged in the history and mythology of WW2, despite the incredible toll of 55,573 aircrew lost.

This remarkable building, if it is ever to be built, should in my opinion be dedicated jointly to those who fought in the spirited Battle of Britain, and to those who fought the longer fight. Both battles were of key importance to eventual victory, and taken together could justify the enormous expenditure that the projected "Beacon" building will require.