PDA

View Full Version : Commuting while working for EK/EY

Willow123
24th May 2010, 14:35
Hi

I was interested to know of anyone's experiences or opinions of commuting from Dubai or Abu Dhabi to the UK, while being employed with either EY or EK on the 777.

As a family we are not keen to move to the ME, so I was wandering if it would work with me commuting from Manchester and during school half term/holidays my wife and child using staff travel to come over and stay with me and/or join me on a trip.

On a typical 777 roster are you likely to have more than 3 days off together, to enable commuting? Has anyone tried this?

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks,

Willow

sheikmyarse
24th May 2010, 16:05
just forget about it.

pitoss
24th May 2010, 16:08
Willow123,
I'll try to be clear on this: FORGET IT !

flaphandlemover
24th May 2010, 16:29
HAHAHAHAHA:D:D:D:D

GOOD ONE!!!!!:ok:

You made my day!

When you come to the interview... Just ask.... :E

You will find out how easy it is... EK will help you in rostering. Just for you, my friend.:ok:

We are all soooo happy in DXB. That's why we don't commute. I Swear, that's the only reason... :ugh::ugh::ugh:

CAYNINE
24th May 2010, 16:30
Some guys do it,

but,

staff travel is not cheap anymore, the loads are usually horrendous.... and besides you cock up and be late for a trip... at the very best kiss your Staff travel good bye, but more than likely kiss your arse goodbye. :ouch:

puff m'call
24th May 2010, 18:02
Willow123

It's call control of the masses. EK don't want any of their pilots where they can't control them 24/7.

It's an Arab thing!!!! :mad:ers!!!

So come here and forget about any kind of commuting. Stay in England mate, you will be a better person for it in the long run!!

FlyingCroc
24th May 2010, 19:22
FORGET IT:yuk:

Matt101
24th May 2010, 21:04
As a family we are not keen to move to the ME

Could be worse you could live in Manchester

Just off to extract my tongue from my cheek - just couldn't resist.

Panther 88
24th May 2010, 23:03
Willow,
Of course you can commute. Don't let these guys disuade you. You can commute to and from the airport to your villa/flat absolutly anywhere in Dubai. See, no problemo. And in fact, the company will provide you with positive space passes in the car that picks or drops you off....at your villa/flat IN Dubai.

woodja51
25th May 2010, 06:45
Dont let the guys influence your decision too much.. probably really is too hard to commute... but you could give it a try.... all the points are valid ones.

Make sure you dont tell them you are not bringing your family as that is not a good idea... you want the villa ( well ... when you get it.... what you do with it is up to you....and I am hinting there ...)

You would need to have tickets to cover all available options to get back to work, as they will fire you if you give them a chance. you really are just as good as your last flight here...

I am not in the business of encouraging guys to join ( how else will we get better pay rises!!!!) , a company that had the potential to be one of the best jobs in the world at one point ( like about ten years ago!) - as the management greed, and style of unilateral contract changes is a bit hard to stomach now ... but if you need to pay a mortgage and want a move to sunny climates ( hmmm... MAN bit miserable in the other direction) come and have a look...

If you can stay off pprune ( yes it is a bit depressing - not sure why I am here at moment after just coming back from three consecutive mornings of dirt bike riding in the desert!!) ....
and just go flying, sailing, dirt riding or what ever else takes your fancy it can be a cruisy lifestyle...

As far as fatigue goes you hear a lot on this site but the DRs are really good now as they have just had their pay docked and they are relatively happy to cut you days off... what goes around comes around..

But be prepared to spend a long time in the RHS till the times get better... it is tough for FOs with families to make ends meet here.

I will probably get bollocked by folks with axes to grind in both directions but I enjoy it most of the time... as they say ... a whinging pilot is a happy pilot... at least in Australia...!!:ok:

WJA... ( been here ten years)

Desertweasel
25th May 2010, 18:38
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha cough cough hahahah
sorry what was the question again?
oh basings
hahahahahahahahaha etc repeat ad infinitum

Willow123
26th May 2010, 17:47
Thanks for all your posts with advice. Sounds like it would be a nightmare trying to commute, which is a shame. I bet there are lots of people who would be interested in EK/EY if they could work a commuting roster.

Cheers

NG_Kaptain
26th May 2010, 18:50
It's a company town and they want you to stay here, shop at the company grocery, live in company housing, buy your car from the company dealership etc. They want you to spend your money here and I doubt there will ever be a commuting contract.