PDA

View Full Version : T/V and monitor screen primer in PC World.

Loose rivets
24th May 2010, 10:00
Mods, if copying this direct is not acceptable, please Zap.

But I would recommend the 'Primer' on PCW's site be read by anyone trying to sort the wheat from the chaff. However, I'm not totally sure if I get sent this as a past subscriber.

Geek 101: LCD and Plasma Basics - PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/196178/article.html?tk=nl_wbx_h_topstory)

As one who has fought a looooong battle with Sears Sony and now Samsung, I can say that it really is a minefield. The Mk II Sony 50" LCD projection was, without doubt, the most perfect photo-real picture that I've ever seen. It stayed that way for about two and a half years. However, the Light Engine technology was simply not supportable and when the picture degraded, nobody could fix it. They threw in the towel at $4,600 of maintenance bills.

Samsung's 46" LCD 120Hz, was good with bright pictures, but impossibly bad with dark scenes. I got a total refund shortly before leaving the US. I'll think long and hard before I get anything on my return.

I hadn't realized that Plasma had so many advantages. I wonder why they were all being sold off in the big-name stores a while back. Seems a bit like BetaMax. Better system with it's higher writing speed, but just didn't catch on. Well, if you don't count South Africa and a few other places.

P.Pilcher
24th May 2010, 10:31
Thanks LR. The link you have published looks really useful, particularly as my main T.V. uses a technology that few have heard of these days - "C.R.T." and as it is still working perfectly but now approaching 10 years old, I expect a flash and a cloud of blue smoke to be emitted from it at almost any time.

P.P.

Loose rivets
24th May 2010, 10:40
Ooo . . . I should get rid of it before air leaks into the tube and makes it even heavier to haul to the resting ground for much loved tellies.