PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instructor Manuals

Martin VanNostrum
24th May 2010, 02:54
I'm about to re-new my instructors rating after some years away from basic flying training (well, about 35 years) and would like some input into which books/manuals are recommended by current flying instructors. Thanks in advance.

Horatio Leafblower
24th May 2010, 04:09
The FAA instruction manual is still the best IMHO - AND it can be downloaded from the FAA website :ok:

Homesick-Angel
24th May 2010, 08:14
Its more than likely that not much has changed in 35 years except that the old way of abusing your students into flying right is not accepted quite as much..:}

There is a pretty good instructor manula on the CASA website, but borrow a printer from work as its a lot of pages to print out..

:ok:

PA39
24th May 2010, 09:01
:mad: Any "Instructor" who yells or screams at a student doesn't deserve the rating nor belong in this Industry. Pisses me off that people pay good hard earned money to be abused by some half wit morale DESTRUCTOR !

strim
24th May 2010, 09:20
CASA manual is rubbish. Download the NZ Flight Instructor Guide, most of it is great stuff.

MArk Hemming
24th May 2010, 11:38
I got my rating back after a 25 year break. Nothing has changed. Kermode and Campbell (albeit revised), plus as per Strim, the NZ manual is good as is the FAA, (both down loadable).

The CASA manual can be ordered from CASA, but I wouldn't bother.

Your original briefings if you still have them are what CASA stills wants to see. Preferably with chalk and blackboard..!

LeadSled
24th May 2010, 13:49
Your original briefings if you still have them are what CASA stills wants to see. Preferably with chalk and blackboard..!

Folks,

Amazing, isn't it. All the effort to put together the Audio/Visual briefings we had in the '60's, with each flying school supplied with a free set, including the projector and screen.

Good standardized pre-lesson briefings for all sequences.

As soon as the supporters within DCA moved on, retired or whatever--- it all dies ---- and we reverted to the 1920's, and we are still there.

Things have changed ---- we have gone backwards.

Tootle pip!!

manymak
25th May 2010, 06:58
Have a read of CASA's Approved Testing Officer Manual.

It will give you a good idea on what they'll expect from you on your renewal.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority (http://casa.futuretrain.com.au/atom/)

Biggles78
25th May 2010, 12:40
The CASA manual can be ordered from CASA, but I wouldn't bother.
Sod it, wish you had posted this 2 days earlier. :ouch: Oh well, it's only $15 and there still has to be something of value in it.

I am looking at doing what you have just done and would very interested talking to you about what you went through to get re-rated. I live in SE Melbourne and if you are interested in getting in contact, please PM me with a contact detail, email or phone. Ta.

Martin VanNostrum
25th May 2010, 23:26
I downloaded the excellent NZ Instructors Manual. It's perfect. Thanks to all who came back with good advice.

PA39, change your coffee to de-caf.

Biggles, I haven't yet re-newed my instructors rating; but will once I get my briefings down pat. CASA website details what is required.

Thanks.