PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

neilson
24th May 2010, 02:33
I’m trying to decide whether or not I should leave my 12,500 PIC job for a right seat Dash 8 job with a regional carrier. I’m flying for a commuter airline in Canada and have the opportunity to take a step up to something a little bigger.

The prospect of being upgraded on the Dash 8 with this particular company is roughly 8 years. The FO pay is ok depending on where you live and what your living expenses are. However, the pay increases eventually.

On the flip side, I‘d make more money where I am now plus I’d be building multi-turbine PIC time on a + 12,500 a/c.

As far as quality of life goes they equal, in terms of schedule, travel and benefits. This decision would be based on career advancement only.

Having said that, my career objective is to reach a major airline. Should I leave my current 12,500 PIC job for a right seat dash 8 job? Or should I stay put and try to get on with a major carrier from where I am now?

neilson

ab33t
24th May 2010, 06:23
Bigger aircraft with a regional will be a + on the CV if you are thinking of going that route .

Biggles78
25th May 2010, 03:34
How old are you? Family?

gone till november
26th May 2010, 09:01
Multi crew time is very important these days to the major airlines and only one of those offers that.

Good luck with your choice

redsnail
26th May 2010, 09:51
As you are in Canada, what applies in other countries may not necessarily be true in your home country.
So, my advice is to research what the majors in Canada want for experience.

If they prefer FAR25 experience over command on a FAR23 a/c, then go that way. However, if they value command time in any sort of turboprop, then there's your answer.

If you haven't already got command time, then a command position will be very very useful, if nothing else, for your confidence as you progress.

Good luck.
:)

CaptainBloggs
28th May 2010, 21:47
I'm sure this question would be better answered by someone from Canada - particularly someone who knows it is meant by a 12,500 PIC job.

But in the, so far, absence of such a person I will reiterate what another contributor has said: multi-crew time! Airlines understand experience levels that are similar to their own operation. Go for the job that is a step in the direction of major airline flying, even if it pays less.

Airlines aren't so interested in pilots who can fly the arse of a plane, loop the loop and shoot down Migs with umpunity. They're interested in stable guys who can work in a team and fly as part of a crew. Go for the job that gets close to that and airlines will relate to it much more easily.

Good Luck!

Captain Bloggs.com

redsnail
28th May 2010, 22:55
12,500 lb or 5,700 kg. Aircraft types that spring to mind are Bandeirantes, Twin Otters and King Airs.

neilson
29th May 2010, 16:35
Thanks for the help this far.

To clarify, I'm flying in a multi crew environment currently, as captain with a small commuter company.

My dilemma is leaving my current position for a Dash 8 FO position which may be a lengthy wait until an upgrade. Also, the pay is less for the first few years. But I understand the industry and how the pay scales and years of service work.

The upside to moving, I think, is flying in to busier airports on a larger aircraft. I know the Dash 8 is more advanced than what I’m currently flying too. The aircraft I'm operating now lacks the glass time some operators like to see (or so I’ve heard).

Form the person who asked, I'm almost 32 and I have a girlfriend who is very supportive of my career. The rest of my family live a fair distance from me but they are easily accessible by plane, utilizing our reciprocal jumpseat agreements.

CaptainBloggs
29th May 2010, 22:02
12500 - I see.

Glass cockpit considered to be good experience by airlines, as to is network/destination experience.

Sometimes you have to step down a rung or two in order to get on to a taller ladder.

joejet
30th May 2010, 00:22
Before you head off to the right seat of the Dash-8, make sure you have a good deal of time in the left seat of your current aircraft. Major airlines don't care about FO-time on turboprops, they want to see your command ability in action. If you have to wait 8-years to upgrade on the Dash-8, why waste your time.

Here is an option. Keep flying in the left seat and apply to Cathay Pacific for a Second Officer position. You would get the right seat of a wide body in 4-years, maybe less if things start to pick up.

Cathay hires many SO's with PIC time on smaller aircraft. In fact, an A330/340 SO came to Cathay as a Canadian DC-3 captain. He is now a B-777 FO.

The right seat of a Dash-8 will get old quickly. Who knows what other opportunities will come in the next few years.

Just my 2-cents worth. I have 13 years at the Big Airlines - 22 years airline flying total.

good luck in your decision:ok: