PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure - Again!

addinfurnightem
5th Dec 2000, 13:47
Been to the archives but could not find it.

Is there a safe and easy way to lower ones blood pressure for a few hours, to satisfy a medical board that assumes that a fifty year old is as fit as young fighter pilots?

I do appreciate that the only way to do it properly is by self discipline regarding food, exercise, booze etc. but, although I live in the 'normal' range, I still manage to peak above limits for a medical board.

Would appreciate information about a safe 'quick fix' for those rare times that common sense does not prevail.

P.S. What do 'Beta-Blockers do please?

[This message has been edited by addinfurnightem (edited 05 December 2000).]

Bird Strike
5th Dec 2000, 19:01
My grandmother had quite a bad hypertension. She has gone on a low-fat low-sodium diet, and she was able to come off the blood pressure medication not long after she started on a new dietary regime. It just shows you the importance of a healthy diet, doesn't it...

What I would do if I had hypertension is 1. healthy diet 2. suitable amount of exercise 3. not drinking a lot (I don't anyway :))

If you smoke, try to give it up. Also if you have pain (for instance headache), don't go for your medical, as pain seems to have a tendency to elevate your blood pressure (I guess no heavy boozing the night before!).

Also, relax! Many people seem to have the white coat syndrome or whatever they call it, and that can raise your blood pressure quite a bit, so does the nervousness and tension.

The following information was copied (and shortened) from:
<A HREF="http://www.smh.toronto.on.ca/cardiac/medication/beta_blockers.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.smh.toronto.on.ca/cardiac/medication/beta_blockers.htm</A>
-------------------------------
Category:
Beta Blockers

Why This Drug is Prescribed:
Beta Blockers are used to control high blood pressure (hypertension), to decrease episodes of angina, reduce the likelihood of further heart attacks, control abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias or ar eye of people who have glaucoma.

How it Works:
All Beta Blockers have the same basic action, but each may have slightly different properties than the others. They all slow down the heart rate and decrease blood pressure. Beta Blockers may also reduce the contraction strength of the heart muscle. This means less work for the heart muscle and therefore a lessened need for blood flow and oxygen. This is important in those with narrowed coronary arteries (which reduces the flow of blood) as it is the mismatch of blood/oxygen demand from the heart and blood/oxygen supply from the arteries that causes angina pains and heart attacks in the majority of people.

Since beta blockers block the effect of adrenaline to slow down the heart rate and reduce disturbances of cardiac rhythm they are sometimes useful in people with abnormal heart beats. It may be useful for people with weakened heart muscles as it is believed that the constant demands of adrenaline on an already weakend heart may cause further weakening over time. This may be slowed or sometimes even reversed with a beta-blocker.

How You Should Use It:
Try to take your medicine at approximately the same time every day.
It may be taken with or without meals, but be consistent.
If you are late taking a dose and are close to the next dose, skip the late one and continue on your regular schedule. Do NOT double your dose!
Your doctor may ask you to take your pulse while you're on this medication and will teach you how to do so. If your pulse is slower than the number you're told to check for, call your doctor before taking another dose.
Keep regular appointments with your doctor to make sure the medication is working properly.
Check with your doctor before stopping this medication; stopping suddenly may make your condition worse.

Side Effects:
Possible Side Effects What To Do
Headache Inform your doctor.
Tiredness, weakness
Dizziness, lightheadedness
Upset stomach

Difficulty sleeping or restless sleep or nightmares
Tingling in fingers or toes
Hair loss (alopecia)
Lower sexual ability
Shortness of breath Contact your doctor immediately.
Skin rash
Abnormally slow pulse

Special Precautions:
If you have asthma, bronchitis or other lung problems, this medication may bother your condition. If you become more short of breath or wheezy after starting this medication, tell your doctor. Atenolol, acebutolol and metoprolol tend to bother the lungs less than other beta blockers.
If you have diabetes and especially if you are using insulin, it may not be as easy to tell when your blood sugar goes too low. Beta-blockers may cover up symptoms such as palpitations or tremours. One warning sign which will not change is sweating. This medication may also decrease your blood sugar slightly.

addinfurnightem
6th Dec 2000, 07:28
Thanks Bird Strike -much appreciated.

mutt
6th Dec 2000, 12:11
addinfurnightem

If your problem is stress related due to the medical. Try having your company doctor take blood pressure readings for a month or so before the medical.

Hope that this helps.

Mutt

Sensible
6th Dec 2000, 19:45
You are not going to like this advice:
cut out the booze, live on fish, veg & fruit, get loads of excercise and you should find that your blood pressure falls through the floor by itself. I did just that after having a cholesterol test, the results of which were startling and interesting to say the least.