PDA

View Full Version : Knives

LevelFive
5th Jan 2002, 00:14
<a href="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0%2C%2C2-2002001575%2C00.html" target="_blank">Swiss allow army knives on jets</a> while <a href="http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/003/metro/Knife_in_shoe_leads_to_arrest+.shtml" target="_blank">Knife in shoe leads to arrest</a> in USA.

Airbubba
5th Jan 2002, 01:00
From the BOS knife incident news article:

"A 23-year-old Brighton man, described by his attorney as an honor student..."

Yep. As in "Yes, Your Honor" and "No, Your Honor"...

[ 04 January 2002: Message edited by: Airbubba ]</p>

flyhalf
5th Jan 2002, 01:35
Has the airside Swiss army knife shop been closed at ZRH yet? You can bet your bottom dollar that it hasnt and that the Swiss are still selling knives and scissors in the departure lounge.

ShotOne
5th Jan 2002, 18:00
I had a spoon taken off me at the departure gate yesterday!

Covenant
5th Jan 2002, 18:37
When are they going to get a bit of perspective and allow metal eating knives back? While travelling business class the other day, I started thinking about my metal fork and spoon with plastic knife:

Also on the tray was a glass tumbler. A bit of careful smashing, and I could fashion a pretty nice weapon, far more effective than most pocket knives. Holding my beer was an aluminium can. A few minutes work with my fork to pierce it and some protective gloves, and I could make a nice cutting edge with that.

Compared to just those two items, a rounded eating knife is a feeble weapon. As I heard reported the other day, maybe the only solution is force all passengers to strip and wear hospital gowns and to serve them astronaut food that you can squeeze out of plastic bags directly into your mouth.

Or maybe we should just get a bit of perspective and realise that we can't sanitise the cabin completely and concentrate on preventiion instead. For example allowing captains to refuse to board people who raise suspicions without fear of a media and legal backlash.

Ask yourself this question: of the following, which would you rather have in your cabin?
1) Metal eating knives in business class
2) An arab with a gun and without the proper paperwork who gets agitated and abusive when questioned

[ 05 January 2002: Message edited by: Covenant ]</p>

Poke Guy
5th Jan 2002, 19:22
I eat with my chopsticks these days! :)

E cam
5th Jan 2002, 22:06
Don't tell the hijackers about the glass duty free bottles!