PDA

View Full Version : Could anybody please give advice?

Elexis
23rd May 2010, 01:22
Hello everybody and before asking for advice i would first like to say thanks a lot for looking at my post.

I have always wanted to become a pilot since my dad took me to an air show at the age of 7, at that time i did not really know much about the aircraft or aviation in general. but the thought of flying for me was just amazing, call me sad but the most enjoyable part of a holiday is the flight, i just love flying so much :).

I am now 17 and about ready to apply to the Royal Navy as an Officer Pilot but before doing so i have been looking around for advice, i have gone to careers advisors, recruitment centers and have searched the RN site and was hoping i could get some information from this forum.

Before applying i would just like to know if there is anything that could increase my chances and better myself with qualifications. In total i have:

280 UCAS points from BTEC Business (Merit, 80pts) BTEC ICT (Merit, 80pts) and Welsh Baccalaureate (Pass, 120pts)
C grade in AS Level Physics
GCSE English Language - C
GCSE English Liturature - C
GCSE ICT - C
GCSE Science - C
GCSE Mathematics - C
GCSE Additional Science - C
CAD NVQ Level 1 (C equivalent)
CAD NVQ Level 3 (A* equivalent)
I also have a Private Pilots License (PPL)
I have the Duke of Edinburgh Gold award
and i have also been in the Air Cadets for 2 years.

Any advice given will be much appreciated, thanks again for reading my post. :)

Pontius Navigator
23rd May 2010, 06:37
Elexis, you appear to be missing one vital qualification to even get passed the AFCO.

Unless it is hidden in your Welsh Baccalaureate you need GCSE Maths grade C or better. Oddly it is not A-level maths that counts but that all important GCSE.

Elexis
23rd May 2010, 07:35
Ah yes i knew i had forgotten something, thanks for that, i have a C in GCSE Mathematics, edited the main post :).

Gainesy
23rd May 2010, 09:38
And have a read through the "sticky" at the top of the page.

Lightning Mate
23rd May 2010, 11:43
I have always wanted to become a pilot since my dad took me to an air show at the age of 7, at that time i did not really know much about the aircraft or aviation in general. but the thought of flying for me was just amazing, call me sad but the most enjoyable part of a holiday is the flight, i just love flying so much http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif.

I am now 17 and about ready to apply to the Royal Navy as an Officer Pilot but before doing so i have been looking around for advice, Full stop i have gone to careers advisors, recruitment centers and have searched the RN site and was hoping i could get some information from this forum.

OK my friend.

First make sure that you are able to write English, and spell words in English and not American.

neildo
23rd May 2010, 12:23
I have the Duke of Edinburgh Gold award
and i have also been in the Air Cadets for 2 years

Both of the above are certainly favourable for your application. Do you play any sports/are you a member of any sports teams? Get as fit as you can get then get fitter.

Elexis
23rd May 2010, 12:52
To Lightning Mate - My apologies on the spelling. :)

Elexis
23rd May 2010, 12:54
To Neildo - I wouldnt consider them sports as much such as football or rugby, but i keep myself fit. I am a team leader of a competitive paintball team and also a member of a competitive airsoft team and play roughly two of each every month. :)

SLIPANDSKID
23rd May 2010, 20:29
Hi,

It's all about the Aptitude tests. Try this place Cockpitweb: pilot aptitude test,Pilot computer test software,numerapt,numerical reasoning, psychometric test, mathematics,job application,pilot recruitment,IFR Training Software, ATPL Pilot Training, Pilot Training flight simulator, aviation training (http://www.cockpitweb.com/) it could be well worth the investment. Practicing keeping the dot in the middle, catching the dots, instrument interpretation, etc...

When I went to OASC the word was that you needed above 130 to even get a sniff. In fact one guy on my selection board was applying only for a ground branch (logistics/supply?!?!), he scored around 160 and the selection officers practically begged the guy to swap his application to include pilot.

Best of luck

S&S

Jackonicko
23rd May 2010, 21:46
Bear in mind that C grades at GCSE are the bare minimum, and are distinctly unimpressive, and you'll have to work really hard to ensure that other strengths compensate for what will be seen as academic weakness.

To have posted the word 'Liturature' here shows either that you don't meet academic standards, or that you are slipshod and unable to check what you've written. Either way, it suggests that some remedial work in English (and I suspect in Maths) is very urgently needed.

Elexis
23rd May 2010, 22:47
Thats fair enough, I understand that the C grade are not anything special but I have tried resiting many of the exams but still only get C grades. I am trying to find qualifications or anything i can do that will strengthen my chances due to my GCSE grades. If you know any courses or anything I could take to improve my chances could you please tell me? I would be very grateful :).

Also, thanks for that link SLIPANDSKID, I really appreciate it and I plan to get get that software ASAP :)

Pontius Navigator
24th May 2010, 06:01
Elexis, the requirement is A-C. You have met the requirement, you are through that door, don't keep trying to climb through the window.

You have other attributes and qualifications that many with 5a* do not have. Move on as you are trying to do. GCSE doesn't count for a string of beans once you have A-levels. A-levels . . . once you have a degree and so on.

Dai Chopper
24th May 2010, 06:28
Takes me back a few years to when I had a similar dream.

With hindsight I would say preparation for the interview (reading up on the news, specifically defence topics) is important.

Keep fairly fit but there is nothing you can do about the medical.

Have a look at some aptitude tests but don't get hung up on them. I am convinced that reacting well under pressure can help - I was extremely lucky as I made a big mistake with one of the assessments but was able to come up with a plan on the spot that worked.

When I went through the assessment I think the leadership exercises were crucial - you should get some ideas through contacts in ATC.

Censored and frowned upon it may have been but the phrase from the dreaded 'Fighter Pilot' series still holds true - "Nobody wants a ***ker on their wing"!

I am now retired so probably out of date and over the hill! Good luck.

Elexis
24th May 2010, 14:14
Thats great, thanks all for your advice and comments. i really appreciate you taking your time to help :).

cazatou
24th May 2010, 15:10
Elexis

The most honest advice I can give is really quite simple:

"Be Yourself" - not your "idea" of what they want.

Good Luck

muppetofthenorth
24th May 2010, 15:20
...and don't buy anything that pertains to offer OASC help! It's all available elsewhere online and, more importantly, free. Just got to find it, but it is out there.

larssnowpharter
24th May 2010, 18:46
"Be Yourself" - not your "idea" of what they want.

The above is the best advice on this thread.

Do your own thing. Be yourself. The guys making the selection are well trained and experienced. They know what they are looking for. If you try to 'act the part' you will be caught out.

If they decide they do not need you there is a fair chance you would not have fitted in or passed subsequent training courses.

In any case, good luck in your future whatever it may hold for you.

Bob Viking
25th May 2010, 07:32
Maybe it's all the volcanic ash we've been breathing in but how refreshing to see a thread where the assembled masses of PPRuners haven't jumped straight down a young hopeful's throat!
Long may it last.
BV
Oh, and good luck Elexis.:ok:

charlies angel
25th May 2010, 13:14
Elexis
Bob alludes to previous threads that degenerate into a "yoof" bashing fest from some about the state of education in this country and poor spelling, grammar etc.
What the old fuddy duddies ( me included :O ) really mean is that this is an incredibly difficult career to get into. If an applicant cannot be bothered to check speeling,syntaxx and grammerr, then the likelihood of being able to cope with the huge challenges ahead, requiring determination,attention to detail and very high levels of personal performance are reduced.
Having said that,dont worry,about the GCSE's.You have the academic standards so concentrate on your other very good attributes and really GO FOR IT.
Incidentally theres a saying that you cant polish a turd! Not true in my case.
I made it all the way with a mixture of confidence,luck and being a normal team playing decent sort of bloke that you'd want to have a beer with:ok:
Someone out there has got to drive the planes...it could be you

Elexis
25th May 2010, 18:10
I understand I had some spelling mistakes in my first post and I do apologize for that and at the same time I would like to thank you all once again for the comments you have left, thanks for wishing me luck and giving me advice, I honestly do appreciate it :)

jasjeet
28th May 2010, 11:06
Hi everyone,

I have my aptitude test for RAFF on 7th july,friends please giveme some tips from your experience It would be helpful if you can give me links to some aptitude tests.

Thanks friends

Pontius Navigator
28th May 2010, 11:37
jasjeet:

troll alert troll alert troll alert

jasjeet is in OZ so little in this thread is relevant.