PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever lost their medical?

Alicia.C
22nd May 2010, 19:42
Hi everyone!

I hold a Class 1 medical and have a renewal coming up soon, but always find myself anxious about it, I guess scared that there may be a problem this time and I could lose my medical. I know I'm worrying about something that hasn't yet happened, but still!

Just out of curiosity really, has anyone here, ever lost their medical, or even had it suspended? If so, what was the reason, and did you ever manage to get it back. And has anyone ever had to move to another profession solely on the basis of losing their medical, and if so, what are you doing now?

Thanks all, would love to see some helpful replies.

Alicia.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd May 2010, 06:56
I had my medical suspended once for a visual problem. It was quickly re-instated after seeing the Neurologist at Gatwick. During my time in ATC I must have seen a couple of dozen ATCOs lose their Class 1 medical certificates. Most got them back; some lost them for good. Fortunately for the latter, the CAA looked after them with an excellent scheme. Those who got them back had suffered problems ranging from heart (pacemaker fitted), head injury (kicked by a horse!!!), back problems, stress-related problems, etc.

I have a "thing" about medics and every one of my 35+ medicals worried me to death, but I got through all but the penultimate one! My BP was up due to "White coat hypertension" so the doc fixed me with a 24-hr BP monitor, ran it through the computer next day, said there was no problem and signed my chit.

Don't worry - easier said than done I know - but thousands of pilots and controllers go through the same anxiety and the vast majority pass OK.

Torque2
23rd May 2010, 09:38
The system is that licenses are 'suspended' whilst you are medically unfit to perform the privileges of that license. I have had a suspension twice due to a badly broken leg took its time healing and then due to having to take medication for glucose intolerance . On both occasions the CAA medical staff were very helpful and understanding.

Getting the license back was a matter of exactly following the medical regime outlined by the doctor (consultant/whomsoever) and making sure that any targets necessary as advised by CAA were met. Paper confirmation is absolutely required to prove that these targets have been achieved. Onc e this is done and confirmed to the CAA then an assessment is done by them and the suspension lifted. NB.!! If you are sending documented information to the CAA by e-mail it is worthy of note that they have a 24hr 'sterile e-mail' system in place where your mail is placed in a safe 'vault' which is virus proofed before they get to it, so sending anything on a Friday or after midday is going to incur a delay. The way around this is to fax the details and back up with originals in the post.

I have known people be off for more than a year whilst recovering from the like of cancer treatment and not have their license removed, only suspended.

I hope your fears are unwarranted and things go well. :ok::) (Should you need to talk to someone please feel free to pm.)

ab33t
23rd May 2010, 12:12
I believe if you worry about it you may induce something that will cause a problem , like high blood pressure . Not to say I dont become a little apprehensive come time for renewal , thats human .

Alicia.C
25th May 2010, 19:53
Thanks to everyone that has replied. Your posts have been reassuring. It's good to know at least that medicals are more often suspended than revoked, I hadn't considered this before. And that people have had their medicals resumed even after treatment for cancer is again reassuring. I guess it takes a quite a lot for the medical to be completed revoked permanently.

Thanks again,

Alicia.

Cloud Bunny
14th Jul 2010, 14:35
Hmmm, interesting stuff this. I've never really taken much notice of the medicals - just turn up and pass was always my attitude. In fact just renewed my class 1 last week without trouble.
Have a friend of mine (see post in Middle East forum) who had his suspended for a couple of weeks last year due to headaches he was getting all the time - checked him out turned out to be blocked sinuses and gave him the medical straight back.
He now has (I think) applied for a job at EK and has been worried sick that any kind of suspension of his medical would be curtains for his application. I asked the question on the ME forum and no-one seemed too concerned.
I, like him, though had always thought that a suspension of your medical is something of a 'black mark' on your record and would be a hinderance to applying for jobs in the future. Is that so? Anyone with any experience of this? It would be good to hear your experiences.
It's something I've never really thought about before.
Cheers
CB

99jolegg
15th Jul 2010, 16:55
Just a thought, but does the company you apply to even know your medical history (unless they have their own medical screening sytem for their flight crew) beyond what's printed on your current certificate? I was wondering the same thing - I've had an OML restriction on my medical before but since it's been cleared, I wonder whether a future company would be any the wiser.