PDA

View Full Version : Help! Firefox at freind's howse won't spell check

Loose rivets
22nd May 2010, 16:53
I'm totally reliant on the spell-check. The box is ticked, but i cannn tipe wat i wannt and nothin happens.

it is saying that 3.6.3 is the version, and that no updates are required. Auto-update is set on. Having said this, I've used their spell-check for years, so I doubt it's just an issue of not being modern.

That, and using a keyboard that's like a load of boulders, is doing me 'ed in. :ugh:

green granite
22nd May 2010, 16:57
Presumably you have the appropriate dictionary installed in the 'add ons' and it's enabled.

Loose rivets
22nd May 2010, 18:44
Used to do that some years ago, but lately all new downloads - over many installs - have had the US dictionary all set to go. Is this having to load as an extra, an English thing? (I'm in Essex) Anyway, I looked at the list of spellers, and the closest I got was English (Australian). My oh my.

mixture
22nd May 2010, 18:44
I don't know anything about Firefox spell checking, my spelling is good enough thanks. :cool:

However, looking around the "Advanced" tab of preferences, I see there's an option called "Check my spelling as I type". Have you checked that's checked ?

Otherwise, perhaps uninstall and reinstall if GG's suggestion (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3) does not help.

See also Firefox : Using the spell checker (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using+the+spell+checker)

frostbite
22nd May 2010, 19:55
I'm in Essex

Thas wotts doin it innit.

Loose rivets
22nd May 2010, 21:08
Went for fish and chips tonight. They only spoke Gor-blimey. Oooo...Gor is underlined. underlned. << so is that.

Yey! Thanks Mixture, that rather stern looking document indeed had the British one.

I see that searching British first seemed to be the magic key.

As a BTW, I stuck one of my Logitech flat keybs in my case. $90 for OEM pack of 5. Sooooo much nicer to type with, and not such a change when going to the laptop.