PDA

View Full Version : Faa Private Pilot wanting to fly in ozz.

ryanbarker747
21st May 2010, 23:33
Hey guys
im wondering if when i head over to Australia, will i be able to get checked out and rent an airplane my FAA private certificate?

Thanks

Widewoodenwingswork
22nd May 2010, 00:28
It's not that easy buddy. It used to be but we now have an intense security check which takes a while to clear, you will need to fill out forms, have photos taken and signed by people with professions that you have only ever heard of. Flying in Australia can be gorgeous but your excitement will soon be dulled by the number of hoops you will have to jump through. If it were me (knowing how cheap things are in the states) I'd be doing your flying here (in the US) and spending the leftovers on scuba diving trips on the Barrier Reef and expensive Australian beer. Good Luck!

training wheels
22nd May 2010, 00:47
Check with the CASA website below. I don't think it's that hard to do for a PPL.

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90024

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd May 2010, 08:40
I'm sure that if you came over, you could easily find an Aust. organisation who could 'recommend' an Aust. pilot who would love to fly you around as a matter of courtesy - and some 'cost shared hours'.

This would alleviate all of the above mentioned 'paperwork', and provide you with a 'guide' as to where to go to, and what to see.....

Just a thought....:ok:

OZBUSDRIVER
22nd May 2010, 09:34
There used to be a great little industry hosting our American friends around this great brown land. Air Safaris! Quite busy until the ASIC darkened the land and killed off the industry overnight...but we are so very safe from Uncle Usama ever taking over a C172 at Kickatinalong***

It is possible but you need to start the paperwork at least a couple of months before you get here...a shame, but that is how it is:ugh:

As we aren't allowed to advertise..type in self flying air safaris in your favourite search engine, there are still a couple of Australian companies providing aircraft and bureaucratic maze guides.

***Code for all little hick towns in the great outback.