PDA

View Full Version : Not much flying during ATPLs

CraigyD
21st May 2010, 13:12
Hi all,

A quick question to guys and girls who are doing or have finished their ATPL ground school or beyond......

I won't be doing much, if any flying until September and then the same over winter until next July or August next year once my ATPLs should be done and dusted.

Just wondered how much flying you did whilst studying and if you found it difficult to get into the swing of things once you had finished.

Cheers,

Craigyd

Poose
21st May 2010, 13:22
At least one hour every other weekend since August 2006!

It's been a mixture of burning holes in the sky by taking all and sundry on pleasure flights, general handling revision and land aways within about 60 minutes from EGGP - lots of bacon sandwiches (I can only afford about two to three flying hours a month, if you were wondering.:sad:).

I'm enjoying myself, taking my time on the Modular route and aiming off nicely to time my fATPL completion with a nice UK economic recovery in 18 months to two years.

Started ATPLs August 2007, Module 1 of Bristol Groundschool completed in January this year. I've never lost currency throughout that period and used my hour building as a hobby and reminder of why I'm doing these ATPLs. :ok:

ElitePilot
21st May 2010, 13:35
It's always nice to keep you're hand in but not the end of the world if you don't.
Don't worry, it'll be just like getting back on a bike it will all come flooding back, doing so much flying once you start again.

fanda78
21st May 2010, 13:39
I have started ATPLs around end of January and most of weekends and afternoons have been consumed with studies leaving me with very little time to fly or to do anything else.
I have set a minimum to myself to fly at least one hour a month and I have to say I feel it is NOT enough.
Now I am about to sit my last three exams in June so hopefully weather will be kind to me and I will get back to full swing and do some trips:ok:
Good luck!

DrJones
21st May 2010, 13:42
Hi,

Whilst doing my ATPLs I only did 2 hours flying in 18 months.

My rationale was that I was going to do my hour building in the USA and that every hour I pay for in the UK I could get three hours in the USA.

When I eventually went to do my hour building it took me 5 hrs to get signed off (the main reason it took me five hours was due to not being compentant on the radios rather then my actual flying).

Cheers

camel toe
21st May 2010, 13:43
I didn't do any flying during my 6 months of ground school. I put all my efforts into the books. A few did their night qualifications and others did the odd jolly. I probably could have found time if I had really wanted to go but to be honest I was completely focused on the ground school element. During my down time which was generally at weekends I would play sport, see friends etc, just got back into the real world for a day or two.

You may remember more than you expected the first time back up, especially with proper preparation. I would definitely recommend going up with an instructor if it's been some time between flights.

Good luck

Camel Toe
"Over Macho Grande?"

hvogt
21st May 2010, 15:21
I started my training in January 2009 with ground school and had my first VFR flight phase during March and April 2009. After another phase of ground instruction, I continued my VFR training in October. The first flight after the ground school break was a check ride with an instructor who gave me the okay to fly solo again. I then continued with ground school and self study in November until the ATPL exams in February 2010. Recently I just "flew" the procedures trainer, and I am going to get airborne again by the end of this month.

Flying a small aircraft after a five month break was not a problem. When it comes to the mere handling of the aircraft it is like riding a bicycle. Getting to grips with the procedures again, however, was more of a challenge, and, in my case, took one or two flights. In the end some chair flying did the trick.

CraigyD
22nd May 2010, 16:29
Thanks guys, this thread is putting my mind at rest! My plan doesn't seem to dissimilar to many of yours.

Happy flying guys and good luck with the rest of your training!

Craigyd

MagicTiger
22nd May 2010, 20:24
I would say don't worry about the flying during the ATPL's. Did not get anytime to fly during the 6 - 7 months of the ATPL course, studies + family had to take priority. Had 1.5 hour session/checkout with an instructor - and did about 7 - 8 hours before I started the the CPL course.

First time I did not fly for 16 years, had 14 hours + skills test, nearly like riding a bike. If you feel unsure, take a few hours with an instructor. Missed flying, however the ground studies took so many resources, and felt that any flying during this period would be of no practical gain, just flying holes in the sky - which was a waste of money and time. Put some effort to fly a bit a few weeks before I started the CPL course, just to sharpen up the mind and checks again.

b.a. Baracus
24th May 2010, 14:41
There seems to be a mixture of responses here, I started ground school DL in Jan this year and have my first couple of exams coming up in around a months time, I am taking my time and stretching out the full 18 months. I have been doing about 2/3 hours per month, as said previously, I think anymore for me would infringe on getting the balance between work/flying and family, but it all seems to be working well at the moment.....and I actually enjoy the studying (at the risk of sounding like a sick pervert!)