PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue hiring

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

checkerboard6
21st May 2010, 13:10
Hi there

Whats the latest news with regards to hiring at VB? Does one have to be rated on the NG?

GAFA
21st May 2010, 13:47
Yes they are hiring and no you don't need to be NG rated (remember they now also have E-jets now).

Try the search function for for info, lots has been posted over this year about them hiring.

Tee Emm
21st May 2010, 14:15
Does one have to be rated on the NG?Virgin Blue give you a 45 minute test in the 737 NG simulator on basic instrument flying including an ILS. If you haven't flown a jet before you would be wise to arrange for a practice session before doing the test. Ppruners familiar with the process could advise you how to do this.

biton
21st May 2010, 15:59
Mate, are they hiring...... The sim centre in Brisbane has had a constant stream of interviewees. I've been there in the last week and they've been doing sim rides/ interviews until 8pm every day!

checkerboard6
21st May 2010, 18:20
great! If any of you have an email contact for HR at VB please PM me, I would appreciate it. I have some questions I would like to ask that I cant do by filling in the online app on their website.

Thanks

Goat Whisperer
22nd May 2010, 05:31
pilot(dot)recruitment(at)virginblue(dot)com(dot)au was the one I dealt with years ago.

ROO-C26B
25th May 2010, 06:04
Hi Guys,

I have been allocated an interview slot on 9th June anyone out there have the same?

anonymouspilot
25th May 2010, 09:48
G'day Roo,

Mind if I ask what sort of experience you have to get an interview?

BBN RADAR
25th May 2010, 11:37
Yeah, I'm also interested to know the experience levels of anyone who's had an interview recently, or has one coming up.

Cheers!

PLovett
25th May 2010, 12:18
I have heard second or third hand that the majority of the interviewees have about 3,000 TT and about 1,000 turbine or in that ballpark.

I would be interested to hear of anyone with significantly less than that who has been given an interview.

Di_Vosh
25th May 2010, 13:29
I have heard second or third hand that the majority of the interviewees have about 3,000 TT and about 1,000 turbine or in that ballpark.

Agree :ok:

Three mates of mine have made it into Virgin Blue in the past couple of months, and all had at least those hours.

DIVOSH!

aussie027
25th May 2010, 17:39
Can anyone ( especially those who have just been thru it) please post here for everyone interested the recruitment process/steps that VB are currently using??

Eg- phone int , tech int, HR int, sim etc and What type of Q or anything specifically looked at or of most importance for selection.

Previous searches revealed multiple threads from years ago with no exact info let alone anything current for this year.
Last VB Recruitment thread was closed by the mods.

Apart from the website application pages is there a current email address for the HR/pilot recruitment dept that one can send a cover letter/resume to???
Many Thanks, PM me please if anyone has info but doesnt want to post.:ok:

PLovett
25th May 2010, 23:33
aussie027

Check your PMs'.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
26th May 2010, 06:50
Talking with a couples guy's recently, one had 8,000 hours which included 7,000 on twins, including over the years command time on a, Saab340, Beech 1900, WW1124, Citations and Dash8 has had application in with VB for a long time and has yet to get and interview, the other guy is in the 3,000 hour bracket with mostly instructing time and no turbine or multi-crew experience is getting an interview in June.

Long John Silver
26th May 2010, 08:53
Is recruitment primarily for the 737 or Ejet at the moment?

I've heard a number of 737 pilots who went on to the Ejet during the GFC are going back to the 737, so that would indicate new Ejet positions.

However there is a large order out there for 737's...

Aussie
26th May 2010, 21:38
I might be wrong, but the 737 order is replacements for the most part.. not additional aircraft! :suspect:

GAFA
27th May 2010, 10:45
There will be an additional 14-16 737's from the large order. The bulk amount will replace current leased aircraft.

ROO-C26B
28th May 2010, 07:31
I have applied for a position for a long time. My experience 5500TT, 2100 jet, 2300 turbine, 1300 multi-cmd, 4900 multi and 4400 multi-crew.

Anyone else having an up coming interview? Those whom had one recently any tips and info?

Cheers,

inandout
28th May 2010, 08:06
Ths may come to a complete stop given their profit outlook :\

thechap
29th May 2010, 02:15
Overall profit down to $10 million, but profit from short haul is at $100 million. With that in mind I would doubt any cancellations for NG's. A fair bit of consolidation internationally and one would hope that long haul turns around, regardless, I doubt they are going to turn tail and run.

The Baron
29th May 2010, 03:25
No chance of a DEC, though plenty of FO slots, the more experienced drivers go to the Embraer Fleet.

KRUSTY 34
29th May 2010, 04:01
Yeah, on 20% less money!

Go figure. :rolleyes:

GAFA
29th May 2010, 04:16
Not true re more experienced going onto the Embraer now.

The last 2 courses have been for the 737 and included pilots with command time on the 737 plus a few with others with FO jet time (F100, 717). The next course also for the 737 includes at least one pilot with wide body time.

Company will not employ DEC's again!

Mr. Hat
29th May 2010, 23:42
Yep contacting CP or the HR department at a major will improve your chances of going to the bottom of the list

Pointless discussion anyway as last time i checked applications were closed. Only accepting interest for Pac Bro.

Ejet vs 73 its just luck of the draw. I'm sure there is some science to it but thats up to the people that do the recruiting. Importantly if you feel that the salary on the Ejet isn't fair or not enough before you join make sure you decline the offer when they make it. The last thing people at vb want is a sour faced recruit complaining that blogs got the 73 and only has two spaceshuttle launches whereas you have 3.

Che cows with guns
29th May 2010, 23:47
Exactly Mr Hat, well said. How I hate flying with ****ty sour faced F/O's who are not hapy with T+C's they knew full well they were signing up for.
CHEers

The Green Goblin
30th May 2010, 00:00
Pointless discussion anyway as last time i checked applications were closed. Only accepting interest for Pac Bro.

Domestic flight crew have been open for at least 3 months that I know of

cptbb
30th May 2010, 10:42
Duh! One of the best flying jobs I ever had that took me all over the world to places most guys/gals would only dream of I got by going directly to the Chief Pilot. I met him on the stairwell, on the way up to his office. I asked the guy coming down where I could find the Chief Pilot and this fine fellow asked me a lot of questions, then asked me, if I want a job? "Huh?", was my dumbfounded reply. He then introduced himself as the Chief Pilot and said, "We better go upstairs and make this official." That was my first airline job.

Unfortunately, he wasn't political enough and didn't last. Neither did the airline. But, I got three of the best years experience of my career out of 'em. And, it led me to truly bigger and better things . . . and more money, just not as much fun nor as interesting.

At that airline, I flew with the likes of real airman, like the flight leader of a flock of F-111B's that made the raid on Libya who flew from the UK. Some of the best Captains, FOs, and FE's I had ever had the pleasure to serve with.

Had I not taken a chance to go directly to the Chief Pilot, I would have never had that experience. Ya just never know.

cptbb
30th May 2010, 11:04
Sooo, tell me, if one doesn't apply to or contact HR or the Chief Pilot for a job, does one have to blow somebody (networking) to have their CV introduced to the right person?

There are a thousand and one ways of getting a job.

I remember a very long time ago, when fresh out of CVs, after handing 'em out like candy, the ONLY call I got was from a Chief Pilot who received my CV when I wrote my CV details on a brown paper bag that I found in the trash, tore of a bit, delivered it. He remarked, "It was a unique approach."

Ya just never know what tickles their fancy.

Mr. Hat
31st May 2010, 01:35
leffe yours is a totally different kettle of fish. Doubt anyone will argue with you mate. We're talking about people that have the option to not accept the job. Having said that I worked at a company where they gave no option (GFC) to move to the smaller type - they just sacked people instead.

Goblin you are right I'm wrong. They had removed Domestic VB for about a week. Checked last night its back up.

As for chance meetings with CP's or people in positions of power I strongly encourage hitting them up on the spot! I have former colleagues that worked in HR/management positions at various companies and they indicated that if you just go thru the online process and update regularly you stand a better chance than those that try calling directly. Could be different at VB. My gut feeling is apply, update and try and get a blue star if you can.

bowing
31st May 2010, 01:40
Mr Hat

What is a blue star mate?

The Green Goblin
31st May 2010, 01:55
Blue star means Boys Club :ok:

Jobs for the boys :cool:

Good thing we all know each other :E

bowing
31st May 2010, 03:19
Thanks GG :)
understood:(

The Green Goblin
31st May 2010, 03:32
If you go to your personal details section on their recruitment website you will see a tab saying personal details form.

Down the very bottom of this form is a tab saying Are you a Virgin Blue Group "Blue Star"? (ie. Have you been referred by one of Virgin Blue Group's existing employees?)

You then add a staff member you know, you will need their start date at Virgin and their virgin email address etc.

Helps if you know management or a captain etc

Mstr Caution
1st Jun 2010, 07:56
Does a "Blue star" get you to an interview & or job quicker than someone that doesn't nominate they know someone who works for Virgin?

mates rates
1st Jun 2010, 23:23
Yes it does mate !!

Mstr Caution
2nd Jun 2010, 00:47
If a company is calling up candidates for interviewing & selection based on recommendations from other staff, then:

This hardly seems compliant with Legislation available from the Australian Human Rights Commision (see their website). Whereas discrimination is prohibited during all stages of employment, including the advertisement, interviewing & selection of candidates.

The basis being, the best person for the position may be discriminated against in the process, by not having the opportunity to be assessed for the position in favour of a person who is known by another employee.

If on the other hand, a company don't discriminate & do call in people based on the best candidate available for the position. Then why do they need a system which asks candidates if they know staff currently employed by the same business?

A reference on a resume should suffice & should be used at the tail end of the recruitment process.

First determine if the organisation considers that candidate as suitable, than after that process is complete do the reference checking. Not the other way round!

All organisations reserve the right to employ whomever they choose & whoever is the best candidate for the position, but they can't circumvent discrimantion laws in the process.

If you've been waiting on the call up for an interview with a company & are being bypassed by those who are getting called up because they know someone working for the same company, in plain terms your being discriminated against.

slice
2nd Jun 2010, 01:43
Yes, but how do you prove it? I am pretty sure VB were aware of the legislation when they introduced this scheme so you can be confident that it was run past the legal team before they introduced it. Legal proceedings are expensive and time consuming so you would want to be confident of a win. I once worked for a company that paid a $2k headhunters fee to anyone that introduced a successful candidate employee to the company. You would have to say that is a worse case given the financial inducement, but no one in this large company ever found issue with it. (money will usually temper any moral qualms)

mattyj
2nd Jun 2010, 05:03
..its a great system-far better to get references from someone who worked with you at the coal face than take a chance with a management reference...who knows what they base a recommendation on! Half the time they wouldn't know how hard you work!

Pandanus
3rd Jun 2010, 13:50
Seems to be permanently the closed season for bluestars as HR seem indifferent to them and look for pilots to interview according to their secret formula. Probably nothing more anyone could do than keep getting good experience and updating regularly over a long period; persistence pays etc. Agree with comments that nowadays VB's not the sort of airline where knowing someone can help, and attempting to make contact with HR or CP would probably not help the case towards an interview; all fairly impartial.

34R
12th Aug 2011, 10:23
Buddy of mine just got offered a training course with Virgin Australia in September on the EMB.
Anyone else that was waiting heard anything?

zim2uk
13th Aug 2011, 04:48
Yup, heard the same, EMB based SYD starting September. Interviewed January for anyone curious.

On that note any current VA EMB FO's able to pm me a typical roster?

kneedeep
13th Aug 2011, 06:53
interviewed start of the year.. heared nothing about start date yet.

So much for the company offering all positions internally before outside recruiting!
do you mean you work as a second officer on the 777 for V Australia and say this is internal? haha... are you whinging guys who interviewed before you with twice as much hours (you got your ATPL couple months ago right?) slogging it hard for regionals are getting put ahead of you when they probably turned down the V Aus deal?

GAFA
13th Aug 2011, 08:41
At this stage plans are for 2 Ejet FO courses during SEP/ OCT to replace current Ejet FOs moving over to the 737.

Ejet rosters at all bases are very fluid at the moment with the removal of the 170s. Over the last 6 months I would say the SYD rosters have been made up of mostly trips less than 3 days, however 4 day trips are starting to appear again. With the bidding system in place you can bid for your lifestyle. If you want day trips, you can bid for that. If you want late starts you can bid for them, it's your choice.

kneedeep
14th Aug 2011, 03:24
There's some experienced people in all ranks at pretty much any airline w@$ker.
DUXNUTS i wasn't saying that. Just saying it was funny how you were complaining the "internal guys" were not getting start dates before others. As in they got the job before you but because you have a V in your company name that entitles you to jump the que? You are either working for Virgin Australia as a pilot or not.... so I am assumming you reckon V Aus is internal? maybe sometime in the close future when they start sharine same paint schemes and EBAs etc..but not right now. Bad examply but its sorta like a Qantaslink pilot saying they are a Qantas pilot to chicks in a bar.

zim2uk
14th Aug 2011, 06:59
Thanks GAFA, appreciate the info

sickofitall00
15th Aug 2011, 14:15
KNEEDEEP - HAHAHA Spot on mate. Although the photos all those guys and girls posted as soon as they had a uniform and wings were classic. You people can sit in the back for another ten years as far as Im concerned :):ugh::ugh::ugh:

das Uber Soldat
15th Aug 2011, 23:44
kneedeep :ok:

The people who took that piece of **** deal have made their bed, and now they can lay in it. :)

PLovett
16th Aug 2011, 00:02
And you begin to wonder why management can so easily divide and rule in Australia...........................NOT! :mad: :ugh:

kneedeep
18th Aug 2011, 06:05
And you begin to wonder why management can so easily divide and rule in Australia...........................NOT! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif :ugh:
I get what you are saying but should we just ignore the fact a relatively lessser experienced second officer (in 90% of the cases) for V Aus is trying to jump the cue over far more experience regional guys that have gone through the recruitment process a long time before the SO would evan be on the VB (now Virgin Aus) recruitment radar.

But yes pilots should stick together... just stop trying to jump the que :=

DUXNUTZ
18th Aug 2011, 11:30
That's bullcr@p. So quick to name call and second guess. Probably have no idea about much I reckon.

OhForSure
18th Aug 2011, 11:59
Kneedeep:

If people apply to one company and are later allowed to transfer into another one, it's not their fault. That's the way it's stipulated in YOUR COMPANY'S EBA. If you have a problem with that, speak to your union.

PS - I'm a hard working regional pilot.:ok:

PPS - How much was your endorsement?

Duxnutz:

Think you'll find they did recruit internally first.

(Not trying to start a slinging match here, let's all just be reasonable).

Dragun
18th Aug 2011, 22:38
They did recruit internally first. Courses are currently/about to run for Ejet and Voz cruise FOs transferring to the 737. To fill those gaps, there is only DE recruitment for the Ejet at the moment and for the foreseeable future. That's not a rumour, it's straight from recruitment.

The Baron
18th Aug 2011, 23:28
Ok Guys,
Take an aspirin and have a good lie down. The courses coming up for the Embraer will definitely have a few CFOs in them. I will be vey surprised if any CFOs go straight to the 737.The rest will be be external applicants. By this time next year there will be one Pilot's list for the entire Virgin group. How that list works will be decided shortly. What you guys need to keep in mind is that a First Officer on the Embraer fleet is a good job and we expect eveybody joining, either from outside or from VOZ to work together as part of the one team. People that come from either place with the wrong attitude will have problems getting through the course.

DUXNUTZ
18th Aug 2011, 23:51
(Not trying to start a slinging match here, let's all just be reasonable).
:ok:

Absolutely agree.

kneedeep
19th Aug 2011, 05:22
Ok Guys,
Take an aspirin and have a good lie down. The courses coming up for the Embraer will definitely have a few CFOs in them. I will be vey surprised if any CFOs go straight to the 737.The rest will be be external applicants. By this time next year there will be one Pilot's list for the entire Virgin group. How that list works will be decided shortly. What you guys need to keep in mind is that a First Officer on the Embraer fleet is a good job and we expect eveybody joining, either from outside or from VOZ to work together as part of the one team. People that come from either place with the wrong attitude will have problems getting through the course.

I thought that was the case.

arena1
19th Aug 2011, 09:28
Anybody know how many ground schools are currently scheduled and how many total possible for the year?

GAFA
19th Aug 2011, 11:51
For external pilots there is only 2 Ejet courses for this year. So far nothing has been said regarding next years courses. Don't know the numbers per course, but I would guess no more than 6-8 per course.

Inbound On Descent
22nd Sep 2011, 05:13
New round of interviews to be held in early October - to populate a hold file. Anyone else get an offer of interview?

Inbound

mates rates
22nd Sep 2011, 09:37
At some stage,probably next year or later this year,there will be external recruitment onto the B737.

GAFA
22nd Sep 2011, 12:23
There is a B737 course latter this year which will include Ejet FO's moving across and some external new starts.

The number of external's starting on the B737 next year will all depend on the number of Ejet FO's who elect to move over to the B737. A lot of the Ejet FO's who have been here for 2 - 3 years hoped to get a Command on it next year so hadn't put a bid in for a B737 FO position. There is a very good chance these FO's will now bid for FO slots on the B737 with commands on the Ejet drying up.

Don't expect any offer of a Brisbane base for a very long time. Company has made it clear that the growth will be Sydney and perhaps Melbourne.

Aussie
23rd Sep 2011, 08:59
What sort of Exp. do the guys have getting interviews? Anyone?

jibba_jabba
24th Sep 2011, 02:15
ha, who knows how HR hire/choose people for interviews or exp they are "looking" for.

aussie027
20th Oct 2011, 07:56
Guys,
Apart from completing the online app on the Virgin website is there a direct email address for HR in general or a Pilot recruitment HR specialist one can write to directly with Cover letter and CV???

If anyone has any info can u please PM me if u do not want to post on forum.

Does anyone have an further update on possible hiring/courses later this yr or next??
Bases where they need people etc.
Can you state a preferred base, like Perth for eg, which I wouldn't think would be too popular except for people from there??

Thanks very much.:ok:

Superbad
20th Oct 2011, 22:27
Online app is the only way. Getting hold of someone in HR would most likely do the opposite of help. I understand it can be frustrating, just keep updating your application.
Going to be some movement on the Ejet with vacancies in bris and perth I would imagine. Lots of Ejet f/o's bidding over to the 737 and A330. Maybe some 737 spots in syd in the future if they are not taken by VA cruise f/o's.
As for what they are looking for, seems the new hire Ejet f/o's still tend to be more experienced than new hire 737 f/os. Multi crew command etc.

GAFA
20th Oct 2011, 23:50
Most of the recruitment will be for Sydney. Brisbane base is over stocked on both the 737 and Ejet. Brisbane FO's taking commands in Sydney or Brisbane 737 skippers moving over the 330 in Sydney or Melbourne are not being replaced.

Heard rumours of around 80 to 160 pilots required per year just for the domestic side.

ga_trojan
21st Oct 2011, 02:59
Any newhire who wants to live in BNE can forget it. There will be no expansion in that base probably ever. SYD and MEL are your only options unless you want to commute. Most BNE FOs' will have to take a MEL or SYD command.

Dragun
21st Oct 2011, 11:14
My mate who just started there told me two of the new hires on the course that is currently half way through were intially given SYD but had it changed to their preference of BNE before the course even started. Apparently a reshuffling took place. So it's not impossible.

I'm guessing BNE commands would be a different story...

ad-astra
21st Oct 2011, 12:36
Brisbane Commands are a VERY different story.

You WILL be offered a command in the MEL/SYD/PER bases.

Time to Command may not be what you expect.

Company and lifestyle is generally what you hear on the grape vine.

We are generally happy and optimistic with what will occur regardless of what will happen at QF.

speedjet
21st Oct 2011, 12:37
My mate who just started there told me two of the new hires on the course that is currently half way through were intially given SYD but had it changed to their preference of BNE before the course even started

I'm guessing your mate is going on the Embraer. There would be some explaining to do if B737

Falling Leaf
21st Oct 2011, 21:24
Time to Command may not be what you expect.

Longer or shorter? 4-6 years is what I'm reading on these forums.

bangbounceboeing
22nd Oct 2011, 00:00
Under 4 years for Syd EMB command, bit longer for Syd 737 and bit longer again for Mel base. As said before Bne command...................................

ndegepilot
22nd Oct 2011, 01:56
speedjet wrote....

... There would be some explaining to do if B737

Why?

Anthill
22nd Oct 2011, 04:27
Time to a command? Well, there's about 450 odd guys who are SFO/FO/CzFO in the group and they all will want a command at some stage. How many commnads per year? 40-60 maybe. Some years more than others. Some less (GFC). I would say time to command for new hires is about 8-10 years now :eek:. Some may be luckier, depending on base transfers etc...

Dragun
22nd Oct 2011, 09:22
Yea, he's on the Embraer.

I've been told time to command there varies from 3-8 years (?) and will, as with any airline, depend on the economic situation, the base, the aircraft, what happens with this coming EBA and a range of other factors. One thing that is always true, is that things can change very quickly. Times can blow out and times can get real short, real quick. In either case, it'll happen quicker than QF.

Now, what's the link for the application again? :ok:

DUXNUTZ
23rd Oct 2011, 00:23
Company and lifestyle is generally what you hear on the grape vine.

And that is? What are the rosters like in comparison to Qlink/Rex etc? i.e overnights/legs per day/standby days etc.

Thanks!

ga_trojan
23rd Oct 2011, 02:06
What are the rosters like in comparison to Qlink/Rex etc? i.e overnights/legs per day/standby days etc.

Depends on aircraft type/base and what you bid for. The pairings shift around a bit but you generally get what you want once you figure out the bidding system.
If you just want four sector early morning day trips and weekends off it can be done. If you want trips away that can be done also. Bali and Phuket are available for 737 if that's your style. Similarly if you want to just bid reserve you can do that do.

bingo doubt
19th Nov 2011, 18:53
Got an interview offer. The day I nicked off to the Middle East for 5 months. Such is life. One of the clowns having a pissing match in this thread can take my slot...

34R
21st Nov 2011, 04:59
You guys should really give up predicting what and how long for this and that. Troll back through this topic and it wasn't that long ago that people were decreeing "all new hires won't be on the 737!"

Nobody knows for sure about anything discussed here. If your name is on a list anywhere, good luck to you, and take what is said around here with a fairly large chunk of salt.

Aussie
22nd Nov 2011, 17:00
Who knows what they are looking for mate, but experience doesnt seem to be it... Time on Type, with a heap of jet time in there, but they dont appear to be interested.....:{:{:{

Super G
23rd Nov 2011, 15:56
Anybody else having problems with the web site? Apparently there are no 'opportunities' at the moment with Virgin Australia and I am unable to update my application due to the First Officer position in Australia being 'closed'.

Anyone else had the same experience?

MACH082
23rd Nov 2011, 20:53
Must have been a change in the HR department.

Staff CV works best for flight crew, the new system seems more appropriate for regular workers and corporate appointments.

Go figure :)

chickoroll
24th Nov 2011, 04:37
You can still express interest on the new website.

piccadilly
26th Nov 2011, 02:22
My account got deleted altogether! HR trying to send a message? :uhoh:

blumoon
11th Dec 2011, 04:26
So can anyone expand on what this recent change to the Virgin careers site means?

I have had an app in for over 1yr but now can't log on with the email address. Had to start again??:{

Are the old applications still in the system or does everyone have to start again?

Thanks

donderwolkje
11th Dec 2011, 05:46
Try "virgin australia.com" and not "virginblue.com" in your address and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Dragun
11th Dec 2011, 22:18
They are currently wiping the database to clear out all old applications and everyone will have to resubmit their application once the site opens again in the near future. That is not a rumour.

blumoon
11th Dec 2011, 23:07
:(.............bugger

Curved Approach
19th Dec 2011, 07:25
Has anyone heard 'yay' or 'nay' after recent rounds of interviews and sim's?

aussie027
20th Dec 2011, 05:20
Just on their website now, if you are not an existing applicant the only option I could see was to register a new account thru the "expression of interest' link is that correct??

That is the only way to then select the company area you are interested in and enter info on a form??

Captain Biggles84
30th Dec 2011, 11:02
Heard of a 737 course running from start of Dec.. Can anyone shed any light if successful candidates were off the so called hold file or interviewed just prior to course??

Wondering where they are going with the new recruitment portal?? Anyone share any info.??

Anyone on the inside heard of course numbers running for next year?

I know thats asking alot but meh. I'm curious :hmm:

Superbad
31st Dec 2011, 10:04
I think they are nearly done pulling people off the hold file.
If the expansion continues through 2012 then I would Guess at least 50-100 f/o's, maybe more. Keep in mind some of these spots will be filled from within (V AUS)
The expansion is in MEL and SYD. Those wishing for a 737 spot in bris could be waiting a number of years.

mates rates
31st Dec 2011, 21:45
The rumour is there will be a lot of recruitment between now and September for the B737.

cloudsurfng
4th Jan 2012, 16:07
Bump....

anyone heard from V???

Captain Biggles84
8th Jan 2012, 02:48
Cheers Superbad

Hopefully your on the money.. Really hoping to get an opportunity at some point during this year. 50-100 sounds like what i have heard off mates. Just wondering what kind of experience gets you over the line for a shortlist and also how many QF applicants are being looked at.. Thinking it is gonna be ultra competitive but not to worry ;)

MonsterC01
10th Jan 2012, 15:42
Yeah Virgin HR is all over this system change.

Had to laugh this arvo when i got an e-mail from recruitment telling me that my application on the old system they use is being removed, and if i wish to be considered for future positions I would need to re apply thru the new recruitment page on the web site. They did wish me all the best in my future aviation endeavors thou. Which is nice, especially since I've been flying for them for 2 years!:ugh:

HR, proving their worth ever day.:ok:

glekichi
10th Jan 2012, 19:10
Got the same email.

Very disappointing considering when the change was first mentioned they said they would keep the application active.

AirNZ did the same. Told applicants they would automatically be put in the new system, then backflipped a few months later when it actually came on line.

I guess it makes sense in a way, though. Why would you pay someone to reenter all of this data when the pilots will do it themselves without hesitation.

atlas12
19th Jan 2012, 09:48
hows the hiring situation at VA going?:E

astroboy55
19th Jan 2012, 23:35
you know something atlas??:confused:

atlas12
20th Jan 2012, 11:12
@astroboy
nope :(

Alloytubejockey
24th Jan 2012, 07:46
There is an interview on the 17th of Feb. Does anyone know how many are on it?

beaver_rotate
24th Jan 2012, 10:33
Hey ALLOYTUBEJOCKEY

Is this for Pac Blue FO (or NZ whatever it's now called) or VA domestic FO (operation in Australia)? Cheers for any info :ok:

Alloytubejockey
25th Jan 2012, 06:22
It's for what was Pac Blue, so Virgin Aus NZ.

Flyboi737
25th Jan 2012, 06:46
Hey,

Kinda late I know! New in command on the 737s looking for new job prospects, any developments on VB? Do they hire direct entry captains? Any salary info yet?

Ay input most appreciated, looking for some new scenery!

Cheers!

Hugh Jarse
25th Jan 2012, 08:00
Nope. No direct entry captains. They have an abundance of upgradeable FO's.

Best try somewhere else :)

atlas12
7th Feb 2012, 08:55
How do the interviews work with respect to fleets etc? For example, do they have a round of interviews just for Pac Bro, another for 777 SO's, another for AU domestic etc, or is it just all in one then onto a hold file if you pass? Cheers

SHVC
7th Feb 2012, 09:29
They just interview for individual jobs, such as round of Pac Blue which has been going on for the last 3 months next they will interview for more 777 RFO then for Virgin Domestic.

atlas12
7th Feb 2012, 09:54
Thanks shvc, I have an interview coming up but I wasn't entirely sure for what fleet. I'm okay with all those positions anyway. Cheers :)

SHVC
7th Feb 2012, 10:16
What do you mean you dont know what fleet? it would of said for Virgin NZ or Virgin Australia. What is it for out of curiosity?

atlas12
7th Feb 2012, 10:37
It just says Virgin Australia, nothing specific. Just not sure if for domestic or cruise f/o that's all :confused:

nothing but net
7th Feb 2012, 11:14
Email went out today about March interviews for the hold pool.

As it is for the hold file does does anybody know when positions are anticipated to be available. 3, 6 or 12 months?

SHVC are you saying the interviews are likely for the 777?

Thank you in advance,

NBN

mates rates
7th Feb 2012, 21:56
Pilot recruitment numbers at VA are confused at the moment because of a lack of additional aircraft availability.They wanted to keep several B737's coming off lease but these aircraft have already been precommitted by the leasing company who work 2 years in advance.So pilot numbers will be determined by aircraft availability that meet the VA specifications.That may be the reason why they are creating another hold file.The jobs are coming,they just don't know when.They are receiving new aircraft off the production line but the net increase is small.

atlas12
8th Feb 2012, 01:08
NBN, I am not sure either but I know a few guys who have been offered interviews on this round as well, and a few seem over qualified for the 777. I guess you never know, though :)

nothing but net
8th Feb 2012, 11:31
Thanks guys, guess we will have to suck it and see.. :confused:

NBN

nothing but net
13th Feb 2012, 10:34
Does anyone have recent interview experience and would like to comment on its content or PM?

Have recent inteviews consisted of questions similiar to interviews in the past, circa 2009/10 ?

Thankyou in advance.

NBN

Captain Biggles84
14th Feb 2012, 10:44
So anyone with an interview have any more info. Are the interviews that are about to take place for Virgin Australia Domestic or VA CRFO or am i way off the mark and there for the NZ arm of Virgin Australia???

Heard the hold file from last year has almost been depleted. Was a 737 course in Dec and a Ejet course before that in Sept. Anyone else know of any others??

Cheers

Inbound On Descent
14th Feb 2012, 21:58
Hold file not depleted, don't know about almost...

The September E-Jet course was populated from a hold file created in Feb last year. Dec 737 course was filled with internal candidates from E-Jet and 777.

Waiting waiting.....

jsmitty01
15th Feb 2012, 21:01
My brief has just a sim and interview, anyone know if one is more important than the other to the recruiting panel?

Wilcome
16th Feb 2012, 07:53
Any one get an actual sim brief or just a time and date?

atlas12
16th Feb 2012, 11:41
I haven't received anything yet :confused:
still 3 weeks away though!

Captain Biggles84
16th Feb 2012, 21:40
Jsmitty

Is the interview and sim for CRFO or for Virgin Australia domestic ??

Open Descent
17th Feb 2012, 04:27
[QUOTE]The September E-Jet course was populated from a hold file created in Feb last year. Dec 737 course was filled with internal candidates from E-Jet and 777./QUOTE]

That is incorrect.

The Dec 737 course had 4 internal 777 Crz F/O transfers and 4 direct entry guys (I was one of them!)

atlas12
17th Feb 2012, 11:02
Received the sim brief today but it makes no mention of a specific time anywhere?? So I guess the idea is to simply show up at the original "booking" time, which altogether is about 6 hours long..... :confused:

Also the sim brief mentions the testing of abilities required to be a Virgin "first officer", but it looks like a generic document to me. Still no real mention of what position the interview is for!

boeingwest
18th Feb 2012, 09:51
Just PM'd a few guys, cheers in advance. So what type of experience are VA interviewing for? Do the ones of late have >5700KG command? What kind of total time? Cheers and best of luck :ok:

beaver_rotate
25th Feb 2012, 03:13
Virgin advertising on AFAP?? I have NEVER seen this... here's hoping!

ozblackbox
26th Feb 2012, 01:46
I think it's a case of populating the new recruiting system - remember they changed over from staffcv to their own system.

See what happens..... only time will tell.

Pekin Dog
27th Feb 2012, 10:38
Like boeingwest i too wouldn't mind knowing those who have interviews what type of experience the guys getting interviews have? More so how much turbine if any?

Best of luck to those with interviews.

Regards,

Altimeters
28th Feb 2012, 20:01
Anyone have any info on the new interview questions?? If you could PM me that'd be good. :ok:

P.S those guys/girls wanting to know hours for interviews I have around 4500TT with 2500 >5700kg and 1000 PIC >5700kg. Thats multi crew turbine. Good luck!

Captain Biggles84
28th Feb 2012, 22:12
Interesting Altimeter. I have always thought that about 1000hrs mulit-crew or even better 1000hrs multi-crew Command should get you a look in with right combination of age and and career development on the resume.. Would you agree of have you been trying in vain for a while??

Altimeters
29th Feb 2012, 04:18
Well put it this way Biggles I've had an application in since 2008.

chickoroll
29th Feb 2012, 04:41
Well I have 2600TT zero multi-crew and have an interview on Tuesday.

beaver_rotate
29th Feb 2012, 05:14
V=Chiko roll:

Best of luck mate!

How long ago did they get in touch? Email??

You'd have to have turboprop command yeah?? PM if you like

Some mates telling me next GS is for 737 PER!!

Roger Greendeck
29th Feb 2012, 06:13
Chiko,

How long had you had an app in for?

chickoroll
29th Feb 2012, 06:17
Contacted by e-mail on Monday, yes I do have turbo prop time and app in since 2009 just kept on up dating it ever since.

beaver_rotate
29th Feb 2012, 06:31
Ok cool, so you have only ever applied through Staff CV Chiko? or did you place one in also when Flight Crew jobs was launched early Jan? Sorry about the 40,000 q's, I guess you ought to be studying instead! Best of luck :ok:

chickoroll
29th Feb 2012, 07:58
No I lodged my application on the new system 9th January. I have been told off a mate they interview you they will decide for you where you will be best suited 737, 777 or the 190

Falling Leaf
29th Feb 2012, 08:29
I guess that would be 777 SO (CFO)?

Dragun
29th Feb 2012, 08:35
737/E190 are pretty much one and same for deciding which type you'll go on. The only thing that will decide it are commercial requirements at the time. Same for the base.

strim
29th Feb 2012, 10:11
I've heard rumors of an Adelaide base.

Any truth in this?

atlas12
29th Feb 2012, 10:12
3000TT with 2000 multi crew >5700 here. Had my application in since 2009 but put my application in the new system as soon as I got the e-mail.

Not sure how I feel about the 777, but beggars can't be choosers as they say ;)

DUXNUTZ
29th Feb 2012, 11:30
3000TT with 2000 multi crew >5700 here. Had my application in since 2009 but put my application in the new system as soon as I got the e-mail.

Not sure how I feel about the 777, but beggars can't be choosers as they say

Don't feel bad, there are people i know on the 777 that were hired on matching those times, I guess it's just the luck of the draw depending on needs at the time. I think at one stage the 777 was meant to be the gateway aircraft into the company but seems that's changed?

zendo
29th Feb 2012, 13:01
Anyone got any feedback from their interview??

nothing but net
1st Mar 2012, 02:25
Yes please, interview feedback would be great. They have been occuring over the last few weeks. Lots more interviews taking place over the next 3-4 weeks af far as i'm aware.

3500TT, over 1000 Multi Crew Command. Application in since 2009. Re submitted to the new system when the position was advertised.

Thank you in advance

NBN

beaver_rotate
1st Mar 2012, 03:36
You guys with interviews, did you also tick in base/job preferences 777 Cruise FO?? I just ticked FO

atlas12
1st Mar 2012, 05:59
Don't feel bad, there are people i know on the 777 that were hired on matching those times, I guess it's just the luck of the draw depending on needs at the time. I think at one stage the 777 was meant to be the gateway aircraft into the company but seems that's changed?

I don't mind really, provided there is some sort of clause in the contract which allows you to bid back to domestic after say 3 years. I believe there might be now, or this is still in the works?? Lots of people are going straight into domestic so it doesn't seem to be working out that way :confused:

You guys with interviews, did you also tick in base/job preferences 777 Cruise FO?? I just ticked FO
Yeah I ticked all FO and Crz FO boxes, with my preferred bases which probably doesn't mean much anyway.

Altimeters
2nd Mar 2012, 10:48
What's the likelihood of Virgin Australia sending you over to Enzed if you're successful? Even if all your preferred bases are in Aus?

Servo
2nd Mar 2012, 21:23
You do have the option to "bid" back from 777 to domestic. You are being interviewed for Australia base, even though all groups are under the one banner, PB still interviews for their own operation.

They are currently offering commands in NZ.

We are "expanding" as such and need crew. All going well it will continue for a while.

Don't come into the company thinking that you will get a command in a few years, even if you have previous shuttle time!

Nothing wrong with 777 cruise FO either. A great way to enter the company.

A Yak From Yemen
3rd Mar 2012, 08:47
Strim there have always been Adelaide rumors, pop up every year for flight and cabin crew. Plenty of Perth ERJ FO's that would transfer to 737 if and when the 737 base opens. Good luck to all who have interviews soon.

atlas12
4th Mar 2012, 09:04
cheers servo thats good info!

atlas12
6th Mar 2012, 22:18
and have an interview on Tuesday. how did you go chikoroll?

beaver_rotate
8th Mar 2012, 23:43
BUMP!

What's the latest?

nothing but net
9th Mar 2012, 01:23
Has anyone had a call back yet from the interviews in mid February?

Aircraft type and start dates?

NBN (not the national broadband network)

beaver_rotate
9th Mar 2012, 01:36
last I heard from Nov interviews is they are on 9 month hold no base/ac type... this was as of last week

ad-astra
9th Mar 2012, 02:28
You might find that some 737 opportunities will occur in Perth in the near future.
If existing FO's do not bid then Perth maybe the base where the new hires start. May suit some.

Falling Leaf
9th Mar 2012, 04:17
NBN,

Has anyone had a call back yet from the interviews in mid February?

I had an interview mid Feb and as of yet - no news. They said 4 weeks, so if nothing by late next week I'll drop them a line.

Good Luck.:ok:

GAFA
9th Mar 2012, 04:59
Perth 737 base has been announced to the troops. Small numbers required so depending on internal FO bids might need a handful of externals.

MonsterC01
11th Mar 2012, 14:47
My understanding of the Perth base for 73's is that it will pretty much be filled entirely by our much under utilized brothers from the e-jet. With no plan to replace the drivers who go as there is an oversupply of pilots on the e-jet anyway.

Bright side is that it is reducing the number of surplus guys in the system, so hopefully there might be some external recruitment in a few months.

My guess is the the 73 base in Perth will only be 2 x 737-700. At least for the short to medium term.

jsmitty01
12th Mar 2012, 09:23
Anyone from February interviews had their references contacted yet?

FlyingJ2K
12th Mar 2012, 10:56
I interviewed begining of March and received an E-mail asking for my up to date references and they will be contacted within two weeks.
I don't know if it's a good thing or the fact it is so close to my interview date they are just getting it out of the way and I'm going to get the no.

Anyone heard anything?

FlyingJ2K
12th Mar 2012, 11:42
Thanks mate!! Here's hoping.

Only worried cause I've heard of others being referenced checked and being told reapply in 12 months.

atlas12
12th Mar 2012, 22:02
received an E-mail asking for my up to date references and they will be contacted within two weeks. That's interesting, the HR guy asked about mine in the interview, which was good because I listed 2 employers as requested but my previous employer was many years ago!! I certainly see that as being good news for you though :)

Was anyone asked in the interview as well (if they are up to date and who they are/what they do etc)?

Stikybeke
12th Mar 2012, 22:12
Hey FJ2K,

I was a referee for someone who applied for Virgin Blue a couple of years ago.

I don't know if things have changed too much or not but a woman rang me from their HR people in Brisbane (he was applying from WA) and spoke to me for about 15mins. He started with them 2 weeks after that (maybe everything at VB happens in 2 week cycles) and I think now has a captaincy on an E Jet out of Perth.

Think positive mate, sounds like you're on your way to me. Make sure you ring your referees and give them a "Heads Up" (just in case)
Good luck!

Stiky :ok:

FlyingJ2K
13th Mar 2012, 00:59
Hey atlas,
I was asked in the interview too which is why I thought was interesting they were asking for them again. Spoken to them so should be all ok.

Thanks Stiky! That's definitely good news. Heard the hold file is 9 - 12 months long, but still being on it will be awesome.

:)

atlas12
13th Mar 2012, 01:57
Thanks flying,
Hopefully they shoot me an e-mail too as I wouldn't mind giving my references a heads up (if I ever get that far of course!!) :)

FlyingJ2K
13th Mar 2012, 02:30
Sure you won't have a drama atlas!!
:)

beaver_rotate
13th Mar 2012, 03:49
Congrats FlyingJ2K. May I ask your experience? Total and do you have >5700kg?? A few of us already endorsed on the embraer/737 are still waiting in the shadows. Just trying to get a gist on where they are at working their way down the pile of experience. Cheers mate, hope it all goes well :ok:

FlyingJ2K
13th Mar 2012, 04:16
Hey beaver,

Not taking it as complete good news till I'm on the hold file, but thank you :)
Like I said, still uncertain because there are people with more time than me, interviewed before me and from what I am aware haven't heard.

I have a little over 3000 hrs and 1000 hours > 5700kg

Good luck mate! :ok:

Dragun
13th Mar 2012, 23:37
People from the hold file called yesterday for a start date on April 13th - 737 Perth base.

shnev
14th Mar 2012, 00:01
Well done guys

Aimpoint
14th Mar 2012, 02:32
What generally happens if they offer a base, such as Perth in the above post, but you turn it down? Do you remain on the hold file until the base you want turns up, or do you end up being kicked out of the system?

atlas12
14th Mar 2012, 02:57
I think you stay on the hold file, but there is no guarantee they will ever offer what you want. Best just to take whatever they give you I guess :confused:

you'll be right son
14th Mar 2012, 03:21
Not only base but 737 vs ejet aswell.

You may never get exactly what you want, I agree. I don't think you'll be banished from the hold pool for rejecting an offer, just a matter of are you willing to wait longer for a possible better offer, if it does come along. Things can change every quickly in this game.

Just my opinion, anyone been in the situation? Interested to hear the responses.

Open Descent
14th Mar 2012, 03:47
You are able to hold off for the next offer, however the next offer is a must accept scenario.
This was pointed out to me when I was offered a position last year.

you'll be right son
14th Mar 2012, 03:55
ok, thanks for the info.

Aimpoint
14th Mar 2012, 06:50
Some things in life are more important than just accepting any base so you can fly a jet.

atlas12
14th Mar 2012, 06:56
Why wouldn't you take it knowing that you could bid into a better base after a few years? The way I see it, the current state of aviation employment is not unlike musical chairs. Virgin is arguably the most promising operator to work for, so I would just park myself on a chair before the music stops. You can always swap chairs with someone else later :cool:

beaver_rotate
14th Mar 2012, 07:25
Hear, Hear Atlas! :ugh:

Superbad
14th Mar 2012, 10:23
If you would like a career with Virgin, take what they offer. If you would rather stay where you are and want to risk missing out on an opportunity, its your choice. Remember if you turn it down hoping to get a better second offer, with the introduction of group seniority delaying your start date could affect your career significantly. Also with an EBA looming, joining after could see a lower salary as opposed to joining before.
The last EJET course of 12 most were syd base from the offer of employment. By the time they were checked to line, all had their base of choice, SYD, MEL and BNE. If anyone wants a BNE base, take an EJET slot. The days of holding out for a BNE 737 f/o slot are gone. There are 4 year EJET f/o's still waiting BNE 737 f/o spots.
I would say if you accept a Perth position, there is so much movement and expansion on the horizon that it would only be temporary. As Atlas says when the music stops you want to have a seat. When I joined recruitment stopped for 12+ months.
Remember there are alternatives, Jetstar, Tiger, Alliance, Skywest. Red Q :E:E

nothing but net
14th Mar 2012, 10:36
What Superbad said.

NBN

34R
14th Mar 2012, 11:58
The only thing slowing pilot numbers down are a lack of airframes at the moment. Whilst they don't grow on trees, they will slowly come along, and with them a requirement to crew them.
While it may be a risk to hold out for a potentially better offer, that offer will come in some way shape or form. I know guys that couldn't have taken the pay hit an ejet offer presented them, and held off for the next round. Fortunately for them, the 737 was the next offer, so for them it worked out. I know this was the case for several of those on the November intake last year (know a few of them personally)

PER seems to be the next provider for slots, however MEL and SYD are still short of crews as well.

With respect to numbers in BNE, it is common knowledge the port is over crewed. However, if future command slots in MEL and SYD (and possibly PER) are taken up by current BNE F/O's, to maintain the balance of Cpt/FO numbers surely those guys and girls will be replaced? Doesn't make sense to have more captains than F/O's in a particular port, would be a crewing nightmare I'm sure!

Anyhow, I'm no expert on the matter, just my 2c worth.

To those expecting/hoping/praying for an offer, I wish you luck and success:ok:

ad-astra
15th Mar 2012, 00:14
Some things in life are more important than just accepting any base so you can fly a jet.
Good luck with that!

Only in 2012 could we have a conversation discussing whether an applicant will accept a First Officer position with an Australian Airline or whether he will stand back and wait for said Airline to recognise his undoubted abilities and offer him a better base and better type.

Trouble is I have to train these 'applicants with attitude' who think from day one they are in the wrong seat, wrong type and wrong base in that order.

Jesus wept!

flying-spike
15th Mar 2012, 01:30
It is a typical Gen Y thing mate. I suppose that is where the "Per Ardua" clicks in for you. Good luck with it.

34R
15th Mar 2012, 01:39
Trouble is I have to train these 'applicants with attitude' who think from day one they are in the wrong seat, wrong type and wrong base in that order

Whilst behaviour like that is absurd, I hate to say this but that's part of your job champ! If that includes a section on 'pulling your head in', then so be it. I think it's appalling for anybody to start with an employer and think they are owed something, and I guess for that very reason, training isn't for everybody. Doesn't say much for the selection process anyway if this sort of person is regularly finding their way through the system?

I don't quite get the aggro expressed towards someone if they chose to accept a position based on what is best for them though. If a company is happy to give somebody that choice, good luck to them should they go down that road.
If more applicants had asked a few questions or been a little more discerning with which positions they took with respect to type, base, employer, conditions etc, in the past, perhaps the industry may not be in the shape it is today! An overly simplistic comment I know, but no less relevant.

Again, just my 2c

ad-astra
15th Mar 2012, 02:06
34R

No aggression, just a raised eyebrow that an applicant can apply, be accepted, and turn down an offer AND then expect that a further offer will be made.

By all means make the decision but don't be lulled into some false sense of security that there is no one next in line with a whole lot more enthusiasm and is willing to accept the job. More often than not the door closes whilst you are looking away!

If an applicant is not willing/able to move now then it probably spells bigger trouble when that elusive Command is offered further down the track.
Disgruntled long term First Officers living where they want to live are no happier than disgruntled junior Captains not living where they want to!

34R
15th Mar 2012, 02:23
AD ASTRA

You'll get no argument from me on that one!

I guess the premise behind my comments was assuming the person making that decision has done so knowing the consequences of their actions. I suppose it is that very point that is sometimes ignored when the final outcome doesn't meet the initial expectation.

Mozzie75
15th Mar 2012, 03:49
My advice to younger guys and girls getting close to the airline game:- decline airline job offers at your own peril. The door may close very quickly and not re-open again for a long time for any number of reasons. Don't be posting on pprune in 10 years about regreting your decision.

Anthill
15th Mar 2012, 05:16
All of the intake pilots that I have trained have had a great attitude and are very grateful of their job. To a man( and woman), they have all made a fantasic effort and are highly motivated to do well. They are all happy to be on the B777 and understand that it will be some years before they get a window seat in Domestic.

Ad Astra, I understand the gen-Y intake issue, but it is not limited to to that group. At a previous company, a guy (gen x) who had just checked out as FO asked me when he could expect a command. I told him that he would be ready in maybe 4-5 years and with a couple of thousand more hours, pick the brains of your favourite captains, learn what you can, absorb what is useful etc etc..he cut me short and said that the company minimum was 500 hrs on jets and that if he didn't get an offer shortly after, he would leave. Fine, I told him. All this was from a guy who had either been sacked or was about to be sacked for failing to CTL at his previous company after 240 hrs of line training(how we had come to take him, I will never know..:rolleyes: ). The guy was a walking disaster area and needed to be watched over like a hawk. Thankfully, he is now in a position where he cant do much harm.

Another guy (Baby-boomer) who had come as an intake FO had plenty of hours in his log book, but no heavy jet experience. Demanding the next command in the company, he felt that his vast previous experience on GA twins somehow absolved him from learning the Policy and Procedures manual. CRM for this bloke amounted to him standing his ground and "positively asserting himself" even when he was shown references in the manual as to where he was wrong. No understanding of fuel or flight planning policies and no ability to navigate in the vertical plane completed his sum talents as a pilot. He even tried his hand at creating his own command positions by being a snitch but shot himself in the foot but exposing his own lack of understanding to the Chief Pilot. Eventually he got a DEC on a small turbo-prop but then checked out as an FO.

So guys, if you think that you should hold out for a position that suits you unique talents, then fine, do it :ok: The airline world is expanding so fast that you wont be flying that Metro or Kingair for long. In the near future VA will be paying for your type ratings and maybe even to help you move. There is even talk of getting commands in around 3 years again. My advice is to hold off and get what you deserve :E

Aimpoint
15th Mar 2012, 05:58
Ad Astra -

Good luck with that!

Only
in 2012 could we have a conversation discussing whether an applicant will accept
a First Officer position with an Australian Airline or whether he will stand
back and wait for said Airline to recognise his undoubted abilities and offer
him a better base and better type.

Trouble is I have to train these
'applicants with attitude' who think from day one they are in the wrong seat,
wrong type and wrong base in that order.

Jesus wept!

I think you read my comments and situation incorrectly. I don't expect the company to give me a better offer, I was just wondering what the process was. For the record I am very happy in my gig, but was just thinking about options for the future.

Yes - some things are far more important than landing a gig flying a jet with Virgin. Let's see, in the last 12 months I've had a child in intensive care for a significant period and another very sick family member. So no, I'm not going to put my career and shiny jet syndrome ahead of more important things. If that means I'm stuck in turbo props for the rest of my career, then so be it. I'll do what's best for family first, as I'd rather be whinging on pprune about lost opportunities in 10 years time than miss out on the other things life has to offer.

Sorry, I'm not the applicant with attitude that you refer to. But I'll take the opportunity that's right for me at the right time. If that means 20 years to a jet command, then so be it.

atlas12
15th Mar 2012, 11:39
FlyingJ2K,

Today I also received the email you mentioned (my interview was last week). It specifically mentions the role of a domestic first officer as well, but I don't know if that rules out the 777 or not. The weird thing is, I have heard that Virgin has already contacted at least one of my references so why would they send me the e-mail afterwards?? :confused:

It does say in the email that you have "progressed to the next stage of the recruitment process" so it definitely is a good sign!! :)

jsmitty01
15th Mar 2012, 11:53
Certainly been a lengthy wait, a month since I interviewed and now longer still until the result known after reference check.

Is the hold file time from interview or acceptance? :} 2 months difference there.

Has anyone from February-March received, or heard of someone receiving the 'please reapply in 12 months' then?

FlyingJ2K
15th Mar 2012, 22:27
Hey atlas
Congrats mate :ok: see told you there would be no issue!

I've wondered the same thing but at face value it's looking like E-jet or 737.

Good luck and hopefully the big nod comes soon!

Sked
15th Mar 2012, 23:17
Likely 737. Very little E-Jet movement. Only possibility of E-Jet movement is to fill FO's who've moved to 737 in Perth. However been told overstocked on E-Jet anyway.

grrowler
16th Mar 2012, 00:03
However been told overstocked on E-jet anyway.
Not with fo's...

I would seriously recommend taking the first offer (barring family issues, etc). As mentioned, gaining employment prior to a new EBA is generally beneficial, and there is ofcourse the matter of seniority down the track. Any base transfers are going to be filled by existing employees before joe bloggs off the street.

Some don't want to get "stuck" on the "regional jet" but personally I think the e-jet offers a fantastic work/ lifestyle balance and a nice variety of flying, and you will only get "stuck" when the music stops. Of course when the music stops, you won't get that second offer for your boeing anyway...

atlas12
16th Mar 2012, 02:18
Sked,

I have been wondering, wouldn't most 737 vacancies be filled internally by ejet FO's instead of external applicants? Or are most of the ejet guys waiting out for a command? I find this interesting because surely many people don't like being bypassed by new hires, if they wanted to fly the 737.... the case is/was very similar where I currently work! Of course, this all assumes that the ejet guys want to fly the 737!

havick
16th Mar 2012, 02:25
Just out of curiosity, who pays for the type endorsement when an internal applicant transfers from say the ejet to the Boeing? Company or individual?

Anthill
16th Mar 2012, 02:32
The company will offer you a position on a type and at a base of their choosing. This will be an opportunity for you to learn more about the profession of air pilot. What you have learned in the past will hope fully support you in this process.

Whether you go on the Ejet, the B737 or the B777, you will be joining a great crew. There is a lot of experience in the company and whatever your role, it is a continuation of your apprentiship. it would be fair to say that to a certain extent, you will be learning to fly again. Remember that if you like being a captain in your current role, that it will be about 10 years before you see a command at virgin. That would give you plenty of time for base/type transfers.

If you don't think that you can learn from being on the B777 or Ejet, knowing that the company operate these types, why apply in the first instance? Would you say out loud in the interview that you will not except certain bases/and or types? An offer to go on the Ejet or as a CzFO on the B777 is a great opportunity for you to learn more skills and develop attitudes that will enhance your standard of professionalism. If you don't want this, the you probably aren't worth employing.

Havic--The company pays. They also pay for the B777 type rating if you are an intake pilot.

havick
16th Mar 2012, 02:47
Anthill, thanks.. It's just out of curiosity as I'm a helo driver and was wondering if airlines pay for everything like they do with us in the rotary world.

atlas12
16th Mar 2012, 03:07
Anthill,

You are absolutely correct, especially if Virgin moves towards a common seniority list, accepting a 777 slot vs spending another 6 months on the hold file for a domestic spot could pay off big time in the future!!

But back to my original question, does Virgin advertise all 737 positions internally before offering the job to an external applicant??

Hugh Jarse
16th Mar 2012, 03:26
Yes they do. There a number of Ejet pilots of both ranks in most bases transferring fleets.

My suggestion to new hires is take what's offered. There are plenty of opportunities in the company, once you're in :E

Sked
16th Mar 2012, 05:02
Concur with Hugh. The E-Jet is not an expanding fleet, but I would still take what was offered. The way things change in aviation you'll have plenty of opportunities in the future to change types, seats etc. I'd just get a spot first and continue the journey. However I also understand people have different family and personal circumstances and make choices based on many variables. You just need to understand that the company won't just keep offering spots and waiting til it suits the applicant. It'll be "OK, not that interested......next please." Been here 10 years and it's still a great place to work. You'll enjoy the crew you work with no matter what fleet you get.

jsmitty01
21st Mar 2012, 11:33
Has anyone from February or March interviews received an official yes or no yet?

I'm waiting on reference check that is still to happen.

atlas12
21st Mar 2012, 12:45
did they send you the "we are going to contact your references within 2 weeks" email? If so and they haven't called, maybe a brief email of your own is in order?? :confused:

wrongwayaround
21st Mar 2012, 23:20
Jsmitty
I think there might be a couple dozen people in the same position as you... Still waiting for ref checks to happen..

Curved Approach
22nd Mar 2012, 00:03
Hey All,

Anyone on the hold file here get a start in April. When were you interviewed?

Cheers,

CA

atlas12
23rd Mar 2012, 05:20
Received an e-mail from recruitment today advising that they haven't been able to contact my references yet and it could take another 2 weeks. Anyone else get the same e-mail?? I received the original reference check e-mail exactly 1 week ago.

It is nice of them to send a courtesy e-mail though, never seen an airline do that before!! :)

jsmitty01
23rd Mar 2012, 22:48
I'm in the same boat mate.

Anthill
25th Mar 2012, 01:20
Dotell,

1) Yes.

2) If you are a professional pilot then you will already know your stuff. My advice is know the AIP. Know it well. Questions will come from topic areas:

AIP.
CAOs.
CARs.
Aerodynamics.
Met.
Nav.
Approach procedures.
etc..
Re-read all of your ATPL notes and texts. I might add that to ask about specific questions or topic areas does not indicate to me a good attitude.

Good Luck :ok:

atlas12
25th Mar 2012, 08:03
dotell,

IFR and aerodynamics are big ones, I'd concentrate on those. But as anthill said, take a quick look at met, performance and CAO's as well. Good luck :)

noclue
26th Mar 2012, 11:59
Excuse my ignorance and be kind,
If you take a cruise FO spot on the 777, is there progression onto the e-jet/73 fleet? If you were to do this, would you have more seniority over someone that was hired directly onto the e-jet/73 while you were cruise FO for later position bidding etc? Are positions advertised to the cruise FO's before new hires?

Anthill
26th Mar 2012, 22:09
Fair questions Noclue, I'll answer as best I can:

CzFOs can progress to B737/Ejet FO positions. Under the current Short Haul EBA, B777 CzFOs will NOT have there date of joining with the VA group recognised. The proposed EBA WILL recognise date of joining throughout the group. This will bring alignment with the Long Haul EBA which recognises group DoJ for promotional and base transfer purposes.

aussie027
28th Mar 2012, 08:16
I am just filling in app online, got a few Q.

Where it asks whether u r prepared to pay for initial endorsement what is everyone putting?? ( No bashing responses please)

I thought the company paid upfront for initial endo for new hires and all training and you have to sign a ROSO ??

Is that correct or do you have to outlay all the endo/ training costs upfront out of your bank account and get an endo before your start date like Jetstar was/ is doing???
( Then have to fight the ATO in claiming it as many have)

Which is it now in 2012 ???

Does it matter what bases/ location prefs you enter???
Do they care what you say re those prefs in the interview???

As others have said above, take initial offer and get in first then move later.
Thanks for all genuine answers. :ok:
( Again no bashing/rubbish answers please, getting sick and tired of all that instead of some informative answers on this site when people ask genuine Q )

grrowler
28th Mar 2012, 08:56
Ejet and 737 - salary sacrifice
777 cruiser - were being bonded but not sure what is happening with the new LH eba.

I would definately say you are prepared to pay.

Bases - certainly put down the base/s you would like, but I would suggest being, and coming across as, flexible. If they sense you wouldn't be happy with other bases they probably would offer them to someone else. As has already been posted, if you want 737 bne it's not gonna happen. As has also been posted, once you are in the company, you can base transfer when slots become available and this will be before it's offered to someone on the hold file. The transfer could potentially happen before you even finish your training, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Good luck!:ok:

Anthill
28th Mar 2012, 09:10
Wot Grrrowler said :ok:

B777 bond is for 30 months. I sdon't think that you'd want to leave for anywhere else anyway.

aussie027
28th Mar 2012, 09:42
Thanks very much Growler,

Yes you have to tick yes since they make you pay.

Does anyone know--

How much do you salary sacrifice total and over what time period?? (2012 numbers)

Do they pay a training wage until you check to line that they start taking the endo cost out of or does the salary sacrifice start once you are flying the line??

Can the total salary sacrificed amount be claimed as a work expense on your tax each year til it is paid off since you are already technically employed by the company first and then start training after?? ( Many had issues with ATO in past years over this when claiming training costs)

Very Important since it means you are paying for the endo and training out of your salary.

Dragun
28th Mar 2012, 11:01
Salsac options are:

Ejet - you have the option of 12 or 24 months.
737 - no option, 12 month only.

Type is dependent on where you are placed on the hold file and the type they happen to be employing for when they take you off it.

No training wage, paid full salary from day one of employment...however, day one is not the first day of your course as you are not employed until you have the endorsement and pass the company check, known as the operator proficiency check or OPC. This is roughly 6-8 weeks after the commencement of your course which will be in Brisbane for the Ejet or either Brisbane or Melbourne for the 737. Accom, meals, transport etc is your responsibility during this time as you are not an employee yet.

Salary sacrificing is the same as a tax deduction. They take the endo cost out of your gross pay and then tax you on the remainder. No different to writing off the entire $30K amount against your salary at the EOFY except a) it improves your cashflow getting the 'tax back' pay to pay and b) you don't have to pay any interest on the $30K like you would if you got a bank loan and then wrote it off at the EOFY.

atlas12
28th Mar 2012, 11:16
Thanks Dragun that is really good info.

Kunai
28th Mar 2012, 21:13
I'm also in the waiting for reference check category, nothing heard from my 2 referees.

Just speculation on my part, VA must be planning ahead for the next pilot shortage and compiling a massive hold file.

DUXNUTZ
28th Mar 2012, 23:32
They seem convinced (I'm not) that a shortage of some sort will exist as they seem to be going ahead with the cadet program.

Interested on how cadets will fit into the operation, I.e Atr or CRFO, maybe even both.

aussie027
29th Mar 2012, 04:28
Thanks very much for the info Dragun. :ok::ok:

pistinaround
29th Mar 2012, 08:50
Interviews today in Brizzy for VANZ & 777

Dragun
30th Mar 2012, 02:41
No problem.

atlas12
30th Mar 2012, 05:09
I thought the interviews weren't for anything specific, rather just for the hold pool and then they decide for you later :confused::confused::confused:

Dragun
1st Apr 2012, 09:49
They are. I believe one of the questions centres around asking how the candidate would feel about going to one the least preferred positions, namely a 777 cruise FO or to NZ. It's kind of the same question as asking if you're prepared to accept a job on any type they offer.

mtrench
5th Apr 2012, 09:08
Got an email about reference checks? I take it that's a good sign? Do people get flat out no's??

Cheers

Altimeters
5th Apr 2012, 20:53
Mtrench, yeah I got that email too yesterday. Good Easter present!! :ok: I know a guy who got a call from Virgin saying he was unsuccessful. Bit disheartening really. Poor guy would've been so excited to get the call from Virgin only to say he didn't make it.

Good luck with the rest of it.

craigdcr
5th Apr 2012, 22:11
I also am at the referee check stage for VA(NZ).

Does anyone have any constructive advice or knowledge about how to raise the capital for the rating? Barring a rich Daddy, Lotto, Prostitution, The manufacturing of illicit drugs or robbing a dozen super 7's.

HSBC used to do it and a financial broker that I have approached has recommended the NAB. However I cannot see why a bank would hand out $35K AUD unsecured.

A lifelong dream now within reach. Heartbreaking if not to able to overcome the last hurdle.

atlas12
5th Apr 2012, 22:14
Congrats guys that is great to hear! I got that same e-mail 3 weeks ago, and many others weeks before me... so it will be interesting to see if they group everyone together and notify everyone at the same time??

Either way, as the saying goes... good things come to those who wait :ok:

Hugh Jarse
5th Apr 2012, 23:25
Craig,
Assuming you get E-Jet or B737, you should get two options, which will be outlined in your letter of offer:

You can pay up front (no benefit unless you are prepared to take the risk of claiming the rating on tax), or salary sacrifice the rating over one or two years.

The one year option is the same price as pay up front, where the two year option has a surcharge applied. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think it was about 10% of the total amount.

The only direct expenses when you join are your living costs (if you happen to live in a city different to where you complete the endorsement).

mattyj
6th Apr 2012, 03:41
I think he's referring to the old PB system where non type rated pilots have to pay upfront for their 73 ratings. Now that its renamed VANZ and HQ are conducting the interviews does that mean vanz drivers can salary sacrifice too..mixed opinions around the place..congratulations if you're getting the nod..I got told to try again next year..gotta get more current or find some cash for a few hours on the sim..that's what stuffed it for me :(

Hugh Jarse
6th Apr 2012, 04:08
Sorry 'bout that. I should have RTFQ :E

craigdcr
6th Apr 2012, 08:00
Thanks for the answers guys. But I was told at the interview that I would pay up front, salary sacrifice was not 'currently' an option for VA(NZ). A salary sacrifice would be no problem at all, happy to do it to get the opportunity of a lifetime!

So any thoughts on how to get a big wad of folding stuff?

mattyj
6th Apr 2012, 21:25
Don't ask me..I couldn't even afford the airfare over to Brisbane ..do you have assets you can borrow against? Parents willing to go guarantors or something ..my buddy got 4 credit cards..its a crap deal but they tell me its a great crowd once you're checked to line

atlas12
6th Apr 2012, 22:33
Sorry to hear you didn't make it mattyj :(

Craig, I would just ask a family member for a very temporary loan... could be a tough thing to do but at least you won't be slapped with huge interest and dodgy loan terms. Just pay them back over 12 months or so, which I would think is doable. I'd be happy to loan a family member such a sum of money for something like this (assuming I had it), but outside of family.. well you know how those things can be :yuk:

noclue
6th Apr 2012, 23:33
How can you salary sacrifice something, if your not yet employed/getting a salary?

Hudson Hawk
7th Apr 2012, 05:35
I interviewed 7 weeks ago, and after patiently waiting til the 5 week point (i was told 3-4weeks for result) I emailed asking for an update and 9 days later they replied, saying they couldn't help with my query but they'd be in touch within the next week...... I've heard of a chap from my round that got a NO call after 3 weeks....

Patience is a virtue.

beaver_rotate
9th Apr 2012, 02:27
Anyone know if 7 weeks ago was the last time they hired? Hudson, do you know what you interviewed for? Or is it still just the hold file? I'm getting mixed info? Cheers!

Hudson Hawk
9th Apr 2012, 05:08
Beaver,

I was interviewed for VA(NZ), but there were a couple of questions about E jobs in Perth and group focus to longhaul etc, felt very Group orientated.

There was another VA(NZ) round just 10 or 12 days ago....

HH

atlas12
9th Apr 2012, 08:44
I don't think it really matters, I interviewed for Oz and was told anything is possible (i specifically asked about it)! I was even asked if I would accept NZ... so definitely very group orientated!

beaver_rotate
23rd Apr 2012, 02:22
BUMP********

(mind the tumbleweed).... :rolleyes:

kwerkyd
23rd Apr 2012, 11:57
Sounds like the cost is deferred until you join and receive a salary. Hopefully some one in the thread can confirm.

As for salary sacrificing, the cost of the training comes from your before tax income (it's not a deduction, but rather an expense to the employer and they agree to deduct this cost from your gross salary).

But here's the kicker, the federal government has the final say in how the before tax treatment of the expense continues...(not that I've heard anything).

Dragun
24th Apr 2012, 02:04
That's not true at all. It's a straight up tax deduction. The $30,000 is divided by 26 (if you pay over one year) and that amount deducted from your gross fortnightly salary before tax. You are then taxed on the remainder at whatever tax rate that would be if you were earning that amount. It is no different to deducting the $30,000 as a total deduction at EOFY as a one off write off. The only difference is that you get the 'tax return' pay to pay as you're not paying the tax in the first place.

If it were just treat like a loan from/expense to the employer, they would deduct the owed amount from your net salary, not your gross. This is an approved method, there is no kicker. See my post #223 on this thread.

kwerkyd
24th Apr 2012, 08:16
Hi Dragun, TR 2001/10 covers the area of salary sacrificing. You've described the "effect" very well but your assumptions and choice of words are not correct.

The link to the ATO Tax Ruling is here for salary sacrifice arrangements: TR 2001/10 - Income tax: fringe benefits tax and superannuation guarantee: salary sacrifice arrangements (As at 31 July 2002) (http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=TXR/TR200110/NAT/ATO/00001)

You cannot call the loan repayment a deduction, as it is not that at all. You do not enter this amount on your tax return as a deduction because of the arrangement you have struck with your employer.

Employees (as far as the ATO are concerned) and their employer enter into an agreement to have the expense met from before tax income (gross income). And for most of these arrangements there is the Fringe Benefits Tax which must be levied for having received the "benefit" i.e. having your pre-tax dollars met from whatever lawful expense you and your employer agree on.

And, it sounds in this instance what you have is a set - off arrangement. That is, pilots owe their employer a sum and this sum is deducted (for the amounts you've stated in post 223) from wages / salaries earned every fortnight over the term offered by their employer.

Para 84 of the Tax Ruling in the link above talks about this in more detail.

And the tax rules do change. The current federal treasurer did take away the ability to salary sacrifice portable computers in his first budget.

All the best Dragun, and note this is not tax advice in any shape or form ! You'll need to seek clarification from a registered tax agent, which could be shortly given it's almost that time of year again.

Cheers, KwerkyD.

:8

Falling Leaf
26th Apr 2012, 09:31
For all those on this forum who have entered Virgin via a hold file, can you perhaps share some information regarding how the process works? When you are 'accepted' onto the hold file, does the company give you a letter of offer then, or are you just told that you are on the hold file, and the terms and conditions of your employment only given once you accept a course/start date. Cheers in advance. FL.

Dragun
26th Apr 2012, 21:38
Hi kwerkyd,

Great post, thanks for the links. You're correct in saying I chose my words poorly, it's not a straight up tax deduction. My bad! My point was that the net result is the same, whether you use salsac or pay up front and declare the total amount at EOFY (although salsac is better because you're not paying any interest on a loan in the interim, have improved cashflow and will probably cause you less heartache in the case of an ATO audit).

Cheers again :)

triplefox
27th Apr 2012, 03:20
Can anyone share how long the various endorsements take and where they're carried out? Also has anyone in the recent round of interviews (the last 3-4 months) recieved the nod?

Cheers

Berner
27th Apr 2012, 09:33
Still no news a couple of months later. It doesn't take that long to call refs, anyone out there know what's up?

Falling Leaf
27th Apr 2012, 21:21
I guess it all comes down to when they did their last interviews. If they are going to put together a hold file for the whole lot it will be at least 6 weeks after the last interview before they hopefully notify everybody.

atlas12
27th Apr 2012, 22:18
It seemed to me that they were grouping the FEB/MAR candidates together into one big group, so hopefully within the next few weeks then. Makes you wonder why they are compiling such a massive hold file, there doesn't even seem to be that much movement. What do they have planned over there?? Not to mention the cadet program!! :confused:

Altimeters
28th Apr 2012, 00:47
Has there been interviews this month at all?

mates rates
28th Apr 2012, 00:52
Air Nuigini has had to go to QF for their B737NG endorsement courses because Boeing is booked out.Maybe they are fully booked by VA or possibly Lion Air or Air Pacific who knows ??But there is plenty of training planned !!

Hugh Jarse
28th Apr 2012, 01:21
The sim appears to be booked for most of next week, so "yes".