PDA

View Full Version : Is once a week too much?

ChampagneSupernova
3rd Dec 2000, 16:01
I tend to frequent the local ale houses at least once a week.

Drinking is not the problem here though, because I really don't drink too much, however the music seems to be getting louder and louder!

As a class 1 med holder, It does worry me a little that my hearing is subjected to this intense noise once a week.

I know the obvious and sensible answer is to not use such establishments, however after a couple of shandys, and a nice chat with the fairer sex, we tend to end up in this environment.

Any sensible hearing health replies are welcome. Other than that looks like I may need to stay well clear!

------------------
Do you Believe??

[This message has been edited by ChampagneSupernova (edited 03 December 2000).]

Rob_L
3rd Dec 2000, 16:10
Stuff a bit of tissue paper in your ears.
Dead serious! It reduces the volume but you can still hear the music OK, and even people talking (they have to shout to be heard over the music anyway). I suppose some smart-arse will say it doesn't cut out the dangerous frequencies or something. If so perhaps proper aviation ear plugs would also be OK for this.

If you roll the tissue up right you can take it in and out as required, and even adjust the volume. Simple but effective. And you don't have to look like a nerd...

ChampagneSupernova
3rd Dec 2000, 18:25
Thanx,

I'll give it a try, you're right though I don't want to look like a nerd with big yellow plugs sticking out of my ears!

Bird Strike
3rd Dec 2000, 18:25
Better still, use a pair of proper ear plugs, foam ones are available very cheaply from any pharmacy. They do reduce the noise level quite well (I think some of them up to 25db if I remember correctly.)

PS
Now that I've read your comment about 'big yellow' ones... they are available in various different colours, like white, skin-colour (less conspicuous). They are worth using particularly if the noise level exceeds around 80 db. The loud noise can cause tinnitus as well as hearing loss.

[This message has been edited by Bird Strike (edited 03 December 2000).]