PDA

View Full Version : How to recover deleted photos?

Rossian
20th May 2010, 13:39
I'm sure that this subject has been covered in the past but I'm damned if I can find it.

This AM SWMBO downloaded some photos off the camera with the option "delete from camera when download complete" selected. She then viewed the photos in windows picture gallery and made a new folder on Desktop and copied the photos to that folder in and transferred the folder to Pictures (Vista home premium). She then deleted the photos from windows picture gallery. When she went to view the folder it was empty. Now I'm aware that when someting is deleted that it's only the file title that is deleted and that the file is still "somewhere" on the disk. No?
Any suggestions as to how the photos can be recovered will be gratefully received.

The Ancient Mariner

Old Photo.Fanatic
20th May 2010, 14:26
Some basic information, I am sure you may receive more specific solutions.

Assuming it's either an SD or CF type card in the camera.(I am sure other types may be recoverable as well)

If you have not used the camera since the "Download " then you should be able to recover the Pics.
If you have used it since then you will loose some of them dependant on how many subsequent Pics you may have taken .

I had two C/F cards from a photo. trip to Belgium , lost when my first level back up Hard drive went U/S. I had not transferred them to my secondary back up H/D.
Googled to find lots of free recovery software.
Managed to recover the pics from the C/F cards ok very easy.

Note, I did loose a small No of pics on one of the cards as I had taken a small No of Pics on one card after I had downloaded them .

Hope this may be of help.

OPF

Capetonian
20th May 2010, 14:52
My clever friend deleted all the photos from our camera whilst downloading them onto his Mac. Since then I've had a passionate hate affair with Macs.

This did the trick : Digital Photo recovery software. Recover deleted photos today! Memory card and compact flash recovery! (http://www.recovermyphotos.com). Simple to use and it worked.

obgraham
20th May 2010, 15:20
I've used FreeUndelete , downloaded free online, to successfully recover stuff I lost, on an XP-running machine. The longer you wait, however, the less likely the undelete will be successful.

Rossian
20th May 2010, 15:50
.....OPF It's an SD card. There is an option when downloading for the camera to empty itself when the download is complete. I can't see how photos can recovered from the camera even though it has not been used since the download??

obg I'll try the freeundelete thing in a bit. Although I'm groping a bit in the dark as it says to download the prog to a flash drive then use it to check the "C" drive?

The Ancient Mariner

green granite
20th May 2010, 16:06
Rossian Try:

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/414366-pictures-lost-computer.html

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/186127-recover-your-deleted-pics-files.html

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/388138-sad.html

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/153577-mmc-card-recovery.html

Old Photo.Fanatic
20th May 2010, 16:55
I may be wrong but even though Delete on download was activated I still think the actual pics. could still be on the SD card.

I think a "Flag" is raised on the photo. file on the card file saying its been deleated but in practice they may be there to "Recover"
I thinks its so when you use it again it will start at Zero count.

Nothing lost nothing gained , try recovery as suggested by others, you never know it might work.

It might be that you have to put the card in a seperate "Card reader" (normally USB) and connect to your PC for recovery to work.
Not sure of this but this is what worked for me.

Cheers
OPF

Rossian
20th May 2010, 19:26
....I had another look on the camera and it was "no image", then tried it in the card reader on the front of the PC and tried to "import pictures" still nothing. I'll try some of the other ideas.

The Ancient Mariner

Old Photo.Fanatic
20th May 2010, 19:46
Pm me if you wish, happy to chat about your situation.
I still think you may be able to recover your pics from the card, plug it into your reader slot and run some of the recovery software as listed so far.
Again hope it all works.
Cheers
OPF

Jhieminga
20th May 2010, 20:21
I agree, plug the card into the reader, run the undelete software mentioned and point this to the card's driveletter. You should be able to get them all back. Good luck!

gibbo568
21st May 2010, 13:37
I've just bought a new Sandisk card, which came with Rescue Pro software.
I don't know if this will work with any other brand of card, and it is unregistered. (I use Linux so it is of no use to me)
If it will be of any use, PM me and I will let you have it. ( It's a download, but you will need the serial number)

Gibbo

Rossian
21st May 2010, 15:24
........however comma a mate who does this sort of thing professionally dropped by and sorted it for us (as a favour). I did point him at this thread, and he gave all of the suggestions a tick VG but probably did it faster than I would have done. SWMBO is a happy bunny again.

The Ancient Mariner

Rossian
21st May 2010, 19:19
.....the software my mate used is also a free download and he did the recovery from the camera disc in his card reader. There were an unbelievable number of "unrecoverable" files, which we presume are previously overwritten files as the camera has been used extensively over the three years we've had it and it has been "emptied" several times. The SD card has now been re-formatted so we're starting with a clean set up before our trip to la belle France in a couple of weeks time.

The Ancient Mariner