PDA

View Full Version : French Low Flying Routes

Wander00
20th May 2010, 12:35
When I lived in Devon a few years back we seemed to be under a low flying route, but all the Tonkas and Jags seemed to go in the same direction. We now live in the southern Vendee in western France and again we seem to be on a low flying route - indeed several routes, with a junction about half a mile south of us. Consequently we have aircraft overfly at low level but in a variety of directions, fortunately not all at the same time. Anyone know how the French system works.

deifpil
20th May 2010, 20:39
In fact, the low level navigation system for military aircraft in France is very simple.

Outside controlled areas, the rules are: see and avoid, and self report on the "low level frequency" for deconfliction.
Minimum altitude is 500'. In some areas, we can go down to 250' and 150', but without any "flow" or "route" obligation like in the UK.

We have some corridors used for TFM training (Terrain Following Mode), but not in this part of the country.

The point is during the past few months, the weather was very poor in the east part of France, so that we went training low level in the west part.

I hope you will have less "aircraft" noise with the summer arriving.

tarantonight
20th May 2010, 21:26
I don't think W00 wants less!!

SLLC
21st May 2010, 19:21
And from my experience of being bounced by the Mirage fraternity in that part of France, the 500' msd was entirely optional...:ok:

Wander00
22nd May 2010, 07:09
Keep coming the garden!where shall I send the pics (when I get the camera out in time!). Gets the dog lots of exercise - he chases the planes down the garden. However, beware of the micro light (ULM) site about 10km away (Le Breuil Barrett)

francophile69
22nd May 2010, 15:23
deifpil..thanks for that...didn't realise it was because the weather was bad in Eastern France that there was a sudden increase in the number of flights right over my house!..not that I'm complaining mind..

Must say though you do only seem to be about when it is a lovely Sunny day!

Lightning Mate
22nd May 2010, 15:30
When I was flying Jaguars (yes I know........) in Germany, France was :mad:.

Avoid Paris - any questions? :E:E

sitigeltfel
22nd May 2010, 15:47
Patrouille de France rattle our roof tiles most mornings. There was a bit of a lull after the prang a few weeks back but they are now back to normal.