View Full Version : What is a Class 1?

Patsy 001
18th Aug 2000, 23:19
Apologies if this question has been asked a dozen times, but could someone just run through the details of a Class 1 please?

For example:
Are there special doctors to perform the examination or can it be done by your GP and if so why is it so dear?

If there are only certain doctors to carry out the exam, where can I get a list of them for my area - Belfast.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Patsy 001
18th Aug 2000, 23:25
Okay I've just read a post further down this forum that has answered one of my questions - AME - Aviation Medical Examiners.

If someone could recommend a suitable AME in the Belfast area and also some details of the medical standards that need to be attained I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers

Mr Magoo
18th Aug 2000, 23:59
Hey Patsy get your act together! - if you don't even know what's involved in a Class one or what an AME is then why on earth do you need to do a medical ?!?

(PS an aeroplane is a sort of flying car that stays up in the air because those big sticky - out things each side are filled with a magic gas.)

(PPS a car is a carriage that needs NO HORSES to pull it along!)

Tinstaafl
19th Aug 2000, 01:27
To use your pilot or air traffic control licence you must be certified as medically fit.

Different countries have different systems but usually the medical examination (& subsequent certification) something like:

Class 1: For professional pilot licences &/or commercial operations

Class 2: For private pilot licences & operations

Class 3: For air traffic controllers or similar occupations

In the UK an INITIAL Class 1 examination must be done with a CAA medical examiner at their HQ at Gatwick Airport.

You will undergo (I think) a Chest X-ray, Optometrist examination, general medical stuff eg blood sample, urine sample, auscultation etc etc. Under the new Joint Aviation Regulations there's probably heaps more.

It takes about a day of your time & costs a small fortune.

Renewal of a Class 1 medical can be done by a CAA approved Dr., wherever they have hung their shingle.

SKINNY1
19th Aug 2000, 01:34
Patsy,

Give them a call at Aviation House 01293 573685 for appointments or 01293 573879 for administration. I'm sure they will answer all your questions as they are very helpful.

Patsy 001
19th Aug 2000, 02:16
Thanks very much for that info folks.

Mr Magoo - I've always wanted to know what keeps an aeroplane in the air - so its magic gas - I thought as much!

Once again thanks everyone!

VFE
19th Aug 2000, 16:31
Patsy,
You will need a class 1 medical certificate to train for your commercial pilots licence and a class 2 for your PPL.
For the class 1 you HAVE to go to Gatwick - this costs £400 plus your airfare etc.
The class 2 you can have done by a local AME in the Belfast area - this will cost you about £150.
If you want to be a pilot commercially it is recommended that you get the class 1 done first because you can then have the renewals done with your AME in Belfast at alot less cost. Another advantage of this is that you will benifit from the CAAs reduction in eyesight and hearing requirements after the initial examination. This is good because if you have the class 1 done at a young age the chances are higher in passing and the subsequent examinations by the AME will be easier to pass as you get older rarther than going for the initial class 1 at an older age.

In summary: get a class 1 done and keep the renewals up by your AME and DO NOT let it lapse. Financially and medically this is very good advice for you.

------------------
And up we go!