PDA

View Full Version : airspace clearances tanzania

FlyAfrica
20th May 2010, 05:31
We will do a private flight from Botswana to Tanzania in June in a C206. We know how to get airspace clearances for Zambia and Malawi (did it many times). Does anyone know how we do it best to get clearance for Tanzania?
Do we need a separate clearance for Zanzibar?
I was told that we also need special landing permits for Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro
and Seronera airstrip. Does anyone know how to get those?

Auscoaster
21st May 2010, 13:04
You need a clearance for Tanzania and definately need a separate clearance for Zanzibar. They are two separate CAA's. Any flights going into the Tanzania national parks require special permission from the National parks and since they work on "Africa time", it could sometimes take a while. The Tanzania CAA does not approve permits into the National parks unless they have a letter from them. (Stamped and signed).

Hope this helps.

21st May 2010, 20:15
For Tanzania you need to also pay the permit fees up front. As said above, the permit will only be issued once you have permission from the parks board. All this takes about a week, so don't delay your applications.
All in all, you will be applying for three permits, so take that into consideration when you plan the time it takes to get a permit.

Auscoaster
24th May 2010, 07:11
The permit fees are only paid upfront for an overflight. For Landings, you pay when you land.

FlyAfrica
25th May 2010, 06:03
Thank you for your helpful answers.
Is sending a fax and than calling by phone and asking for an answer the best method for all three organizations? TCAA, TANAPA and however it is called in Zanzibar.

Auscoaster
25th May 2010, 10:29
First, send your fax to the National parks and Zanzibar. Keep following up by phone to keep them on their toes. Once you recieve the fax back from TANAPA, fax it to the TCAA along with your application giving full routing throughout Tanzania (including national parks and Zanzibar). No need to fax Zanzibar permit to TCAA. Once approved, you will then get the permit from TCAA. Starting point most definately TANAPA and good luck as they really require some patience:ok:

FlyAfrica
25th May 2010, 13:36
Thanks. Do you have a fax number in Zanzibar for me?

FlyAfrica
25th May 2010, 13:44
And I have another question: Do we also need landing permits for Ngorongoro and Lake Manyara airstrip? I read they are maintained by TCAA not Tanapa.

Auscoaster
26th May 2010, 07:58
Ngorongoro is definately with TANAPA but not sure about the other one. Rather put them both on the application to TANAPA to be safe.
Zanzibar fax + 255 24 223 1653. Hopefully Zanzibar have sorted out their electricity problems and the fax is working.

FlyAfrica
9th Jun 2010, 15:31
3 weeks and about 200 phone calls later I am finally in the possession of a landing permit from TANAPA for Seronera
airstrip (stamped and signed), TCAA clearance number and Zanzibar clearance number.
Lake Manyara is managed by the TCAA.
Most of the times I had to fight with not working
phones. I am now familiar with all different kind of noises
Tanzanian phones do, if the line is not good.

Thank you for all your help

gautengflyboy
10th Jun 2010, 10:31
Try calling Nicolle on +27 82 332 7193 if you get stuck with clearances. My experience to date has been excellent in dealing with her on clearances.