PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo

stilton
20th May 2010, 04:27
I have now been suffering with this for over two years and lost my medical as a result.

After numerous tests from dozens of doctors all they can come up with is my left ear is 'overly sensitive' on the VNG water test.

My neurotologist thinks an endolymphatic shunt might help but I am convinced this problem started with a neck injury and he is misdirecting me.

Any ideas, how can I prove this is a cervical related issue or not ?

I have intermittent left ear pain, vertigo, tinnitus and a feeeling of blockage in my left ear.

gingernut
20th May 2010, 16:47
Tell him your worries, it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a second opinion if you think your condition warrants it.

BroomstickPilot
7th Jun 2010, 12:04
Hi stilton,

I don't know whether this will be of assistance, but for what it's worth here goes.

I too have suffered from successive episodes of Vertigo. However, I am pushing 70 years of age and my vertigo is of the 'benign paroxysmal positional vertigo' type, (seemingly common amongst dinosaurs). You don't tell us how old you are or what variety of vertigo you have.

To cut a long story short, my doctor sent me to the local hospital where they performed the 'Epley Maneuver' on me and that cured it instantly and completely - for a while.

Some months later, I had a second attack, so I performed the 'Epley Maneuver' on myself; (not recommended apparently).

Since then, I have performed the 'Epley maneuver' on myself once again. Each time the process works and the vertigo completely disappears, but it does come back eventually after some months.

Regards,

Broomstick.

stilton
12th Jun 2010, 21:05
Thanks Broomstick.

Yes they looked into BPPV early on into this (over two years ago) but that's not the problem. My left (inner) ear is all buggered up. Way too sensitive, in fact 40% more sensitive to movement than the right.

This is measured during a VNG test where they pour water in your ears while wearing dark goggles, then they measure your eyes response to the stimulation of the ear. Its not pleasant.

Incidentally, i'm 47 years old in perfect health otherwise.