PDA

View Full Version : Trust PW.4130M Uninterruptable Power Supply

OFSO
19th May 2010, 16:48
Just bought one of these beasties and it gives a staggering 45 minutes on standby power, running my PC, 23" monitor and WiMax after the Spanish mains power has failed (again, as in "the Mains in Spain is Often Off Again").

And now for the bad news: the software. Wierd and incomprehensible. Not helped by going to the Trust website.

Anyone else got one and care to chat ?

OFSO

green granite
19th May 2010, 17:42
Have you visited this site: Trust.com - 1300VA Management UPS PW-4130M (http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=15601)

OFSO
19th May 2010, 20:56
Yes, the first place I went !

Very confusing list of drivers, the number that came with mine looks like it is for VISTA/7, there is no driver number for XP, and nothing in the manual (on the disc and on the site) to indicate which is which.

Harking back to my days in the business, I'm reminded once again how documentation is always considered last....if at all.

Incidently, WIN XP offers a UPS page under Control Panel/Power Options, but no way I can find to make it work with anything other than a make of UPS which isn't the one I have.

Cameronian
30th May 2010, 16:56
I've got something similar, from Trust (bought in Makro in Palma). It can't support the computer, modem and screen together for nearly so long as it claimed. It will support the computer on its own for over half an hour but that's not much use if the power is off for longer as you can't see to close everything down before the battery goes flat.

It uses a little 7.2ah sealed lead-acid 12v battery which ceases to function after a year or so because of the very crude charger in the machine. I opened it up and removed the little internal battery and made a connection to a golf trolley battery which I sit beside the thing. That worked quite well for a while until the crummy charger stuffed the new battery as well.

I quite like that the machine protects the power supply AND the incoming comms. line from surges which might damage all my kit and the router as well so I'm thinking about cutting out the built-in charger and using a fancier golf trolley charger(!). God knows what my insurer would say if he knew!

Mine came with no software whatsoever - one just has to connect the incoming leads to the box and then connect the box on to the computer kit. Simples!