PDA

View Full Version : China Airlines

banditdog1
19th May 2010, 16:38
To Whomever May Be Able To Answer My Questions:
1.) I've been invited to the screening process with China Airlines in Taipei. With no knowledge of whether they were hiring or not, I simplt completed their online application and about one month later, they wrote back confirming I met their requirements. I've been flying the B-747 (all models) since 1984. I haven't actually flown the B-744 since the end of August 2008. I had to leave another Foreign carrier because my 15 year old Son wound up in long term hospitalization and as such, I chose not to be away for extended periods of time. He is back home and doing much better. I am looking forward to China Airlines. I realize they aren't the best gig out there dollar wise, but I understand they're quite pleasant to deal with personally and in the cockpit and simulator.
2.) I have been given no indication with regard to what I can expect in the simulator for the screening flight. If someone knows their scenario, please share. Also, if there are any other non c urrent pilots who went through the process, can you tell me if they modify the simulator screening and take in consideration that the candidate has been away from the aircraft for quite a while. I've been flying a Falcon Jet on a contract basis since leaving the Far East in September 2008.
3.) Does Taiwan require a written exam when acquiring their license, based on my FAA license? I have 11 Type Ratings including those in the classic and B-747-400. I'm just trying to get a handle on what to expect.
4.) I've done the Taiwan medical before as I was offered and turned down a job with EVA back in 1996, so no questions there. I am wondering what type questions they ask in that first day, which consists purely of the interview portion of the screening. How much technical information will I be responsible for. I knew the aircraft very well at one time and I plan to run through at least a CBT prior to the interview. However, if there are any other questions that stand out, even non aviation related type questions, please pass them along.

I appreciate your help in advance. This goes out to anyone who may be able to offer any assistance with what I have explained above. Also, if there is anything else you feel is worth adding, please don't hold back! I hope I can provide the same assistance for someone else in the future. I've been very up front with CAL and explained that time off at home is paramount, given the situation with my Son who has high functioning Autism. I've quit at least two decent jobs where I was earning good income as a PIC on the B-747/744, just to be able to spend the proper time with my Son. I am so glad that he is now doing so much better and I'm happy to openly share that with my felloe PPRUNE members.

Once again, Thank you very much in advance. I hope I can do the same for someone else in time.

Sincerely,

banditdog

BusyB
19th May 2010, 18:49
Try the Far East Forum.
Good Luck:ok:

banditdog1
21st May 2010, 22:36
Thank you!

littlejet
22nd May 2010, 17:10
Given your situation, make sure you want commuting job.
Unless you bring your son to Taiwan with you, I am sorry to say but you won't spend much time with him.
You are residing in NY and that is on the oposite side of the globe from Taipei
Give at least 30 hrs commuting each way. That is almost 3 days in the airplane. You can have 10 consecutive in one month. That will give you 7-8 days at home. 9 max.
So for 3 weeks you will be out of your son's life and than for one week you will try to reconnect with him.
Trust me I tried....

L