PDA

View Full Version : Bilberry for curing bad eyesight ?

boeinglover
30th Nov 2000, 19:10
Hi guys,

I have just started to consume Bilberry supplements & can I find out from anyone if this Herb really works to cure bad eyesight in the long run?

I have also heard that Bates method works too without having to undergo lasik operation that has some side-effect.

Please advice..

Thanks.

Rob_L
30th Nov 2000, 22:33
Can't find any mention in my herbal books of bilberries for eyesight, but they do mention they may lower blood sugar levels (subsidiary medicine in treatment of diabetes) and they have an 'astringent and costive action on the intestines...',that is, the fruits are used to cure diarrhoea!

Rob_L
1st Dec 2000, 03:18
Found more details, from kcweb.com/herb/bilberry.htm

"Bilberry is a perennial, ornamental shrub that is commonly found in various climates
in damp woodlands and moorlands. In the United States they are known as
huckleberries, and there are over 100 species with similar names and fruit throughout
the Europe, Asia and North America. The English call them whortleberries. The Scots
know them as blaeberries. Bilberry has been used as a medicinal herb since the 16th
century.
Bilberry is also used in connection with vascular and blood disorders and shows
positive effects when treating varicose veins, thrombosis, and angina. Bilberry's fruit
contains flavonoids and anthocyanin, which serve to prevent capillary fragility, thin
the blood, and stimulate the release of vasodilators. Anthocyanin, a natural
antioxidant, also lowers blood pressure, reduces clotting and improves blood supply
to the nervous system. Bilberry also contains glucoquinine that has the ability to lower
blood sugar.
The herb contains Vitamins A and C, providing antioxidant protection which can help
prevent free radical damage to the eyes. Vitamin A is required for sharp vision, while
Vitamin C helps form collagen and is needed for growth and repair of tissue cells and
blood vessels. Anthocyanosides support and protect collagen structures in the blood
vessels of the eyes, assuring strong, healthy capillaries that carry vital nutrients to eye
muscles and nerves.
Bilberry has long been a remedy for poor vision and "night blindness." Clinical tests
confirm that given orally it improves visual accuracy in healthy people, and can help
those with eye diseases such as pigmentosa, retinitis, glaucoma, and myopia. During
World War II, British Royal Air Force pilots ate Bilberry preserves before night
missions as an aid to night vision. Bilberry works by improving the microcirculation
and regeneration of retinal purple, a substance required for good eyesight.
Dried Bilberry fruit and Bilberry tea has been used as a treatment for diarrhea and as a
relief for nausea and indigestion. Bilberry is also used as a treatment for mild
inflammation of the mucous membranes of the mouth and throat.
Part Used: Berries, leaves
Common Use: Bilberry contains nutrients needed to protect eyes from eyestrain or
fatigue, and can improve circulation to the eyes. Bilberry tea is administered to treat
stomach problems and soothe the digestive tract. The leaves and berries are used in
the homeopathic treatment of diabetes. Bilberries are used in making jams, preserves,
liqueurs, and wines.
Care: Prefers filtered shade and moist, fertile soil that is acidic and non calcareous."

How's that?!

boeinglover
2nd Dec 2000, 06:18
Hello Rob L,

Thanks for your lengthy & valuable explanation which I appreciate very much. So I guess it does helps to a certain limit or way besides bates method.

The risk of scarring to the cornea after Lasik is the main reason for holding me back from going for the OPs. Any fellows out there share the same worry with me????

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 02 December 2000).]

wishtobeapilot
2nd Dec 2000, 22:40
I've heard from a few medical examiners say that the governing aviation authorities don't like laser surgery at this moment because:
1. unproven record
2. might affect night vision
3. too sensitive to light
4. scarring

lASIK surgery will definitely be picked up at any eye exam so consult relevant authorities first before undergoing the surgery.