PDA

View Full Version : Type II Diabetes

TwoTun
30th Nov 2000, 14:24
Anyone know the CAA/JAA rules on diabetes type II?

My mate's a B747 F/E for another airline, and it looks likely that he might be type II diabetic (so his friendly GP told him). He said he's down for a blood test sometime next month.

He's unsure about letting his AME, the CAA, or his airline know just yet, as he doesn't want to start a ball rolling that he has no control over. I've told him he's daft, but he won't be swayed - yet. :rolleyes:

So, anyone know anything? I don't want to ring up the CAA on his behalf in case they think it's me that's diabetic http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Bird Strike
30th Nov 2000, 18:51
Sorry this may not be any use to you, but here is an extract from the JAR-FCL Medical Requirements:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
JAR-FCL 3.175 Metabolic, Nutritional and Endocrine Diseases
Date: February 28, 1997

(a) An applicant for or the holder of a Class 1 medical certificate shall not possess any functional or structural metabolic, nutritional or endocrine disorder which is likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of the applicable licence(s).

(b) Applicants with metabolic, nutritional or endocrine dysfunctions may be assessed as fit in accordance with paragraph 1 Appendix 4 to Subpart B.

(c) Applicants with diabetes mellitus may be assessed as fit only in accordance with paragraphs 2 and 3 Appendix 4 to Subpart B.

(d) Applicants with diabetes requiring insulin shall be assessed as unfit.

(e) Applicants with extreme obesity shall be assessed as unfit (see JAR-FCL 3.200).
</font>

mearse
30th Nov 2000, 21:47
Do you know the BMI rating for extreme obestiy?