PDA

View Full Version : Dyncorp

JBrampy
19th May 2010, 01:55
Hey,

Does anyone out there know anything about DynCorp's operations in Afghanistan? i.e there ground handling ops? Rumor has it that they go about there business in a "cowboy" like fashion. Can anyone expand on this?

thanks
JBrampy

6000PIC
19th May 2010, 09:56
C.I.A. `nuff said.

contrabando
19th May 2010, 16:44
Dyncorp is a huge US government contractor doing a variety of things aviation oriented all over the globe. I went to their Air Tractor 802 class in 2002 in Albuquerque, NM. Got to the 8th. week & couldn't take the bull**** anymore.

Their Standardization Instructor, a genuine grade A Bob Benson got on my ass regular by demanding why I always went for a hard packed dirt road instead of a dirt field when he pulled the motor on me.

If you know what an AT-802 is, can any of you give me an answer to that? It's a single engine, LOW wing big aircraft.

I went for the hard packed road ALWAYS because if you're STUPID ENOUGH like their Standardization Instructor was to demand that you land in a dirt field...you stand a good chance of flipping the F-ing thing over in the dirt field, thereby locking you inside & watching yourself being cooked alive.

That and a few other things these idiots did is what made me resign. My opinion, stay the hell away from these unless things have changed mightily in the last 8 years. They're probably spraying the Opium plants in Afghan like the Coca plants in Colombia & other points south. BFD.

413X3
19th May 2010, 19:19
some extreme military types don't like the "think for yourself" attitude. Do as they say is what they like. Plus maybe they want you to cook yourself instead of being captured... crazy bunch

Papa Sierra
23rd May 2010, 01:35
Hi J,

I've heard all sorts of rumours about Dyncorp but can only comment on personal experience. I'm an ex-RAF C130 Loadie and I worked for them as a MOVCON in Huambo, Angola '98 and I had no problems with either their operations or the way they treated me. Pay was nothing special and their "per dieum" was paltry by the standards of UN staff working alongside us, but other than that I had no complaints. You might think twice if money is an overriding consideration!!

SNS3Guppy
24th May 2010, 17:14
Dyncorp is a huge US government contractor doing a variety of things aviation oriented all over the globe. I went to their Air Tractor 802 class in 2002 in Albuquerque, NM.

If indeed you were really at that training program,then you'd know who was signing your checks, and it wasn't dyncorp. It still isn't.

If you know what an AT-802 is, can any of you give me an answer to that? It's a single engine, LOW wing big aircraft.

I know what an 802 is, having flown it, too. It's not that big.

The area for which you were training doesn't have many hard packed dirt roads, and seldom, if ever, has one convenient for landing if you lose a powerplant at low altitude. Additionally, you don't want to be on a line of drift or line lf communication (road) if you go down; nobody is coming to get you in a car. Unlike Albuquerque, the area you would have been working is populated by less than friendly folks who would very much like to see you captured, or dead.

Have you never put an airplane down on a mountainside before? I have. No hard-packed roads...and in reality, it's not really a choice you get to make when it's actually happening. Perhaps the instructor only wanted to see if you could do something other than act like a student pilot.

C.I.A. `nuff said.

Wrong.

larssnowpharter
24th May 2010, 18:11
I have never worked for Dyncorp but spent 5 years in the Balkans on various contracts for outfits such as Halliburton, UN and some governments. Dyncorp seemed to be always sniffing around the edges of the big contracts.

They had a big scandal while I was there. Basically a cover up when some of their employees were - allegedly - involved in human trafficking. Cover ups tell you something about an outfit: either about their ethics or their ability to hide things. You decide.

Since then, have bumped into many expats working with them around the Mid East and elsewhere who seem to be basically satisfied so perhaps they have sorted their collective sh1t out.

The word 'collective' is used deliberately; check out the company structure, some sort of cooperative.

In any case good luck.