View Full Version : Eye-drops at the class 1 medical

VFE
29th Jun 2000, 15:46
Hello all,
It's not long now till my initial class 1 and I was wondering what the chances are of getting these eye drops that restrict driving for 12 hours.I am planning to drive over to CAA Gatwick(some 100+ miles) and drive back.
Because of the cost of the medical I was hoping that a hotel bill on top could be avoided!
Thanks for any information.

Cheers, VFE.

monkeyboy
29th Jun 2000, 17:02
VFE, I drove down, like yourself, and I didn't have to have the drops. I rang the reception about a week before my medical and asked the same question. She told me that if I don't wear glasses/contacts then I shouldn't worry about it. I suppose it really does depend on how well you do in the other eye tests as there are quite a few of them. However, I'm afraid nobody escapes the squirty air gun in the eye test! <evil laugh!>

VFE
29th Jun 2000, 18:00
Thanks for the reply, Monkeyboy.
I do wear glasses(I am short sighted) so therefore this test is a real possibility(or threat!!).
I guess I'll ring the CAA and ask them for their advice because they've got my eyesight prescription that I sent them.
Thanks again, anybody else care to add?

Cheers now, VFE.

------------------
And up we go!

Barney
30th Jun 2000, 09:44
VFE,

This is what I understand about the eyedrops:

If you are short sighted (i.e. prescription is negative), you shouldn't have them. This is because the renewel limit for short-sighted is -5 D, where as the initial is -3.

However, if you are long-sighted, you may get 'the drops' because the limit for renewel is the same as that for issue (+3 D). The reason for this is that the drops are supposed to simulate what your eyes will be like in a few years time (after the muscles have weakened, I guess). Hence if you are close to +3, or have high astigmatic content, you may get them.

You say you are short-sighted - you should be OK.

There are other drops they use, apparently, which dilate the pupil so they can look inside your eyes. I didn't get these either because my pupils dilated OK. Incase you do get them, I'd take your sunglasses, as it may be bright for a few hours after.

The best idea is, as you say, give 'em a ring. They seem quite a helpful bunch.

Just for info, I drove down from Stafford in the morning, and then back to Manchester in the evening. Traffic wasn't too bad as I left at 6am, and got to Gatwick at 10am (appt. at 12.45........!!!)

Hope you get on OK,

Barney

[This message has been edited by Barney (edited 30 June 2000).]

VFE
30th Jun 2000, 17:25
Thanks Barney,
I've spoke to the CAA and they say that my eyesight prescription seems to be OK so the drops are unlikely.But if they have trouble getting my eyesight measured when I'm there then they may be used.
If I get them then they say I can wait for a couple of hours while they clear.
Can you see the runway from Aviation House??!!

Thanks again, VFE.

------------------
And up we go!

Barney
3rd Jul 2000, 12:33
VFE,

Aviation house is south of the extended centre line of the main runway. The CAA Building (a dirty grey thing that has been built from the off-cuts from the Tesco's they built in Milton Keynes!) lies in between the runway and the visitors car park. I don't know what the view would be like from the other side (car park or from the building itself), but I doubt you could get there without being arrested.

If you drive there, you pass very close to the threshold, but can't stop (double yellows). You then drive under the terminal (check out the hosties waiting for the bus.......)

As said before, you can visit the canteen.....only open for visitors from 1215 - 1.45 I think, but I may be wrong.

Quite a nice day out really, although a week in Ibiza with beer and other entertainments would have come in at about the same cost........but the nurse does have lovely eyes, and a gentle touch. Aaaaahhhhh!

Hope it goes OK

Regards

Barney

P.S.
About 45 mins before drink some water - it'll help for the little sample you have to give.....I drank about 2 litres in the car on the way down, and still only managed a trickle!

VFE
3rd Jul 2000, 19:48
Looking forward to meeting this nurse.
Shall we see if I can "pull" her??!!
Thanks for the info Barney.

Cheers, VFE.

PS:Spot on about the Ibiza thing mate!!

Barney
3rd Jul 2000, 22:02
VFE,

Give it a go mate......I got as far as finding out that she comes from the north Devon Coast, and that she intends to go back to work in the NHS in about 18 months time.

She then told me to be quiet as my constant chatter may affect the EEG......somehow, I don't think it was the chatter, but the thoughts going through my gutter-like mind that would cause a problem.

Oh yes, you may like to take toiletries etc......you can have a shower after the EEG. They leave you with a load of gay-boy like gel in you hair, so I would strongly advise this.

Have a good'en

Barney