PDA

View Full Version : Joomla

keyboard flier
18th May 2010, 11:43
Hi,
has anyone used joomla for website design. My scout troop has been set up a test site using joomla to get used to. What we are looking for is an add on so as we can upload multiple photos at a time (at present there is a 3mb upload limit, and don't want to sit there and upload one photo at a time). Does anyone know of one and also how do we add it / set it up.

thanks.

Bushfiva
18th May 2010, 12:09
Joomla is a content management system, so the size limitation is part of your host's implementation, not of Joomla itself. You could simply resize images before uploading them: a 100k or 200k is probably sufficient for the web.

cats_five
18th May 2010, 14:31
If it's like Wordpress there are thousands of plugins including ones which let it display photos from Flickr.

BOAC
18th May 2010, 14:49
As Bf says, 3mb is a big chunk. :eek: Your 'viewers' will be having lunch and coming back to see if the pics have downloaded.:) Anyone on dial-up will probably die from natural causes before the page is complete. I use 20-30kb for smallish web pics.

EDDNHopper
18th May 2010, 17:57
Joomla is a powerful, and most important open source or common access, cms. It is more complicated than we originally thought, but as I said, it is powerful and we are happy with it.

For photo upload you might want to check here:
JoomGallery - Joomla! Extensions Directory (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/photos-a-images/photo-gallery/5481)

Haven't used this extenmsion myself though so cannot comment, but users seem to be content. Following the link, on the left hand side under "Photos and Images" you will find more modules/expansions.

keyboard flier
19th May 2010, 07:01
Thanks Guys, I will pass this on to my daughter who is the one who is having a go at this.
One other question, how do you resize a photo? They are being taken at @ 5MP size as some will be printed of at a later date, but could not see a way of resizing.

BOAC
19th May 2010, 07:54
There are two aspects here, one the actual physical size of the image - it does not need to be any bigger than the size you want to see on screen - some cams produce sizes of 30" * 20".

Secondly if you saved it in JPEG format you can then reduce the image quality with the right software without affecting the web view.

How do I reduce the size of photos for online use? (http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/digitalimaging/f/howreducesize.htm)

+ Google may help. I'm not sure which free image progs will do this, but someone will know!

cats_five
19th May 2010, 08:32
To reduce the file size, you need to be able to do two things - crop, to remove bits which are not needed, and resize to reduce the number of pixels to the size the webpage needs.

Your camera might have come with software that will do this, otherwise IrfanView (if you use Windows) is free and will do everything you need.