View Full Version : pregnant flight crew

aviating
11th Oct 2000, 08:59
Anyone know the current UK rules and regs concerning pregnant flight crew?

mach78
11th Oct 2000, 12:32
Only that as soon as you are, you must inform CAA

Oleo
11th Oct 2000, 14:58
...and then you must stop flying immediately.

This is a stone age (ahhh no, stone age people wouldn't have made a silly fuss like this) policy.

The USA is much more enlightened and you can fly through until you can no longer get 'full and free' movement from the controls. I think airline pilots can fly until the 3rd trimester.

Bird Strike
11th Oct 2000, 16:34
I agree that the UK legislations are 'stone-age' in that it 'bans' flying by pregnant flight crew (removing the freedom of choice), however I still believe that in the interest of the health of the unborn and the flight crew herself, she should stop flying anyway.

dingducky
11th Oct 2000, 19:24
ok so if she gets pregnant on a layover, does she get to deadhead back home? :)

------------------
Those who can't write, write manuals

Tinstaafl
11th Oct 2000, 20:27
Birdy, in what way do you see flying as detrimental to the health of the mother or foetus?

I can only think of a few and each of these aren't really unique to pregnant flight crew (for that matter, why only flight crew? What about pax?):

1. A possible lack of medical help if she develops a medical problem while in flight.

In which case that is a risk we all take, crew or pax, pregant or not. For that matter it's a risk taken whenever we venture off the beaten track & away from normal medical availability.

2. Lower cabin pressure therefore reduced oxygenation.

That would indicate that all pregnant women should ensure they stay at sea level. Bit awkward for those who live in mountainous areas! :)

3. Lowered humidity contributing to dehydration.

Again, not unique to aviation. Witness anyone who lives in an arid environment.

As for the UK's regulations, I suspect that they're for the benefit of the pax. and not the crew member. Possibly under the belief that there can be a risk of some level of incapacitation due to factors associated with the pregnancy.

I can't seem to find any objective basis to this in an, admittedly quick, perusal of medical literature.

I think the USA has a more reasonable view, ie as long as it doesn't interfere with one's duties, and with 3rd trimester disallowed - presumably due to premature labour considerations.

After all, pregnancy is normal process not a pathological one, although it does impose additional demands on the body's systems. But then so do a lot of things.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 11 October 2000).]

Hew Jampton
11th Oct 2000, 21:56
Oleo, Birdstrike et al, have you checked your facts before your kneejerk slagging of the CAA?

Dr. Red
12th Oct 2000, 06:58
There is the issue of cosmic radiation exposure in flight, which can be very damaging to the foetus during certain growth stages...

Bird Strike
12th Oct 2000, 08:25
Hew Jampton,

I am not 'slagging off' CAA. Does my post sound like I am 'slagging them off', as opposed to barely expressing my humble opinion?

Tinstaafl,

pregnancy is normal process not a pathological one, although it does impose additional demands on the body's systems

Excatly, that is why I feel that one is better off avoiding any additional demands on the body on top of the pregnancy, like lower oxygen levels, radiation risks, additional stress, unsociable working hours, dehydration, sleep disturbance due to time zone changes etc.

I can think of a few possible differences between pax and flight crew:- 1) frequency of 'exposure to the situation' (i.e. crew generally fly more than pax) 2) crew have to work, not just sit there and relax

Anyway, it's only my personal opinion and I have no intention of criticising anyone for doing otherwise.

aviating
12th Oct 2000, 11:46
I've just been informed that the current CAA policy is to allow pregnant flight crew to contine flying until 26 weeks subject to regular check ups.

Bird Strike
12th Oct 2000, 13:32
Hi Aviating,

The rules must have changed since I was there then... Thanks for the info!

Tinstaafl
12th Oct 2000, 14:29
Birdy, the point I was trying to make is that those things aren't unique to aviation so why single out this particular activity?

Whirlybird*
12th Oct 2000, 16:05
Bird Strike,

Some of the women I know:

1)Carry on working while pregnant (stress, especially if professional job of almost any type; possibly unsocial working hours too)
2)Have husbands and other young children (stress and sleep disturbance)
3)May live at high altitudes, or travel to them (reduced oxygen)
4)Live in places with a very dry climate (reduced humidity)

As Tinstaafl says, why single out aviation? And I'm sure complete and utter boredom and acting as though you're sick when you're not can't be great for either mother-to-be or foetus either. Sounds like a somewhat Victorian attitude to me.

Whirly

------------------
To fly is human, to hover, divine.

Buffy Summers
12th Oct 2000, 22:16
The International Women Airline Pilot's Association has lots of info on this topic, and might be worth joining if you currently work as an airline pilot. They have newsletters and various meetings/ annual conference where women pilots can discuss issues pertinent to them.
Their website is: http://www.iswap.org

GulfStreamV
16th Oct 2000, 17:09
JAA Class 1 states:- (JAR FCL 3.040)

"in the case of pregnancy, the suspension may be lifted by the Authority for such period and subject to such conditions as it thinks fit (see JAR FCL 3.195(c) and 3.315(c) and shall cease upon the holder being medically examined under arrangements made by the Authority after the pregnancy has ended and being pronounced fit to resume her functions as a member of the flight crew"

Unwell_Raptor
17th Oct 2000, 15:37
Reminds me of the lady pax who asked the FA if she could be allowed to get off the aircraft first. "Why?" "I'm going to have a baby"
"In that case you shouldn't have got on the plane in that condition"
"I wasn't in that condition when I got on the plane"

Mac the Knife
19th Oct 2000, 23:40
Tinstaaffl has it about right, I reckon.

Most women in the OR work well into 3rd trimester. For many a matter of choice, for some a matter of financial necessity. Environmental hazards are almost certainly greater than aviation.

Foetuses (foeti?) are designed for low O2 partial pressures - will maintain normal oxygenation even if mother moderately hypoxic.

Dr. Red - "major" cosmic radiation hazard is during 1st few weeks (before most people know they are pregnant) and small (except perhaps for Conky staff).

"..until you can no longer get 'full and free' movement from the controls." sounds like a good rule of thumb.

What is the pay situation of flight crew who are "suspended" for pregnancy?

aviating
20th Oct 2000, 20:20
Regarding pay, in the UK I believe the normal Maternity rules apply. This would mean that when the woman had to cease flying, the company would have to offer her suitable alternative work (but at her normal salary) until such time as she leaves to have the child. This is subject to length of service, but details of policies can be found on the UK Government website. This is the basic - your company may have an enhanced policy.