PDA

View Full Version : Screen for CV anomalies in fighter pilots

AnthonyGA
17th May 2010, 19:10
I know next-to-nothing about military aviation, but I figure somebody here can answer a question I've been mulling over for a while.

I know that fighter pilot trainees have to go through things like centrifuge exercises to make sure they can withstand G forces, but do they also get screen for potentially dangerous brain lesions? For example, are they checked to make sure they don't have any brain aneurysms that could rupture when subjected to strong G forces? Some people have such lesions and live throughout life with no problems, since the lesions are never put under stress, but pulling many negative Gs could be enough to kill someone with an undiscovered aneurysm. So does the military check for this in advance? (It would have to be done before any centrifuge exercises, obviously.)

High_Expect
17th May 2010, 19:31
No. Well they certainly didn't when I joined.

Geehovah
17th May 2010, 19:55
With the amount of stunting and bunting I've done over the years, I think self preservation would have said if I thought I had an aneurysm I'd have avoided fast jets.:}

Lima Juliet
17th May 2010, 20:54
G-straining is no worse than trying to have a good dump when you have constipation - I would have thought most people would have shown up any anomalies well before signing up!

I always think of Austin Powers during G-straining...

[Austin Powers is drowning a man in the toilet]
Austin Powers: Who does Number Two work for? Who does Number Two work for?
Cowboy: Yeah, that's it! You show that turd who's boss.

:E:E:E