PDA

View Full Version : Summer part-time jobs at Airports

JackRalston
17th May 2010, 14:06
So i've recently finished my second year University exams and was wondering what kind of part-time jobs would Airports offer?

I have had experience of working within an airport environment when I was in Y11, I had a week working at Manchester Airport in areas such as customer information points (all 3 terminals), Apron Control (observing), Baggage Management etc.

I have a contact who is one of the managers for Baggage Management at Manchester Airport and will be contacting him shortly soon.

I am just interested in what kind of jobs would be on the radar for part-time, short-term people like me who have just completed my academic year.

Cheers

jerboy
17th May 2010, 21:40
Far far far too late for Summer 2010! Staff numbers will be set, most will have gone through training and some will be working. There are several reasons:

a) The summer season started a few weeks back
b) Getting a criminal record check done (usually Disclosure Scotland at my end) can take months. Although it does state 14 days on their website so maybe things have sped up. Airport ID issue can also take time.
c) You need to be interviewed/trained etc.

If you don't have an up to date Disclosure (a new one needs to be done for each company), you won't get an ID and you won't be able to work airside. I really think you'd struggle finding someone to employ you landside only, unless you fancy WHSmiths or Subway :}

You may have a chance with your contact and smaller companies, but certainly with the big boys the time has passed unfortunately.

All the best for next year though dude, get in contact with them by March at the latest I reckon! If you want info about what sort of stuff you can do just give me a PM.

PS Getting up at 0430 ain't fun after a term of lie-ins at uni, trust me... :yuk: